Author Topic: Carolina Blue/Powder Blue '69  (Read 74275 times)

IZRSSS

Re: Carolina Blue/Powder Blue '69
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2010, 03:03:28 PM »
Thanks John.  Like I've mentioned before my eye sight is going down the tubes along with everything else.  I see it now and your right, the seal is in the way so I'll find a spot on the shroud.

Jeremiah

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2010, 03:49:43 PM »
heavy duty rubbing compound works great for loosening old adhesive. It also cleans wire shielding and rubber hoses like the RS vacuum hoses without removing the collor coding.
69 SS/RS Hugger orange-Ivory houndstooth, endura.
69 RS Conv. Black/Black-Ivory interior, endura, DX1.

IZRSSS

« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »
Thanks J. 

I had some free time so I tried it.  I think I know why the big ugly sticker was on there.  Someone was trying to hide some deep scratches.  I had to start out w/400-600-800-1200 sandpaper.  Then to the compounds red and white (started this yesterday).  Problem is that even the white/polishing compound leaves a dull finish even after two hours of polishing.  What I had to do is prep this last step for painting.  After paint will buff lightly to get (hopefully) the desired look.  If it doesn't work I'll just have to replace it.  Too bad it isn't stainless or aluminum...I'd know what to do...

I'll post the results...good or bad...

IZRSSS

« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2010, 05:44:59 PM »
Results...good or bad.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:15:00 PM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2010, 05:46:03 PM »
Contd...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:15:50 PM by IZRSSS »

Claus

• View Profile
    • Yutivo
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2010, 07:31:01 PM »

looks good in the picture, but then again real hard to see well

IZRSSS

« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2010, 09:29:20 PM »
This was just a quick fix for a local show this weekend and the shroud will be replaced.  There are a couple problems with this fix.  In hindsight I should have known from the beginning this wasn't going to work.  No telling how long the sticker had been there and the glue eat into the plastic plus as I mentioned earlier there were some deep scratches, and you cannot use abrasives on plastic.  The second problem is that now the shroud has two different mediums, paint and plastic w/o paint. So, if you apply vinyl, plastic or any other type of detailer the painted surface is much brighter.  The photo shows the shroud only with color sanding and nothing else.

Aside from detailing color change it actually turned out better than expected.

Oh well, chalk it up to experience/lack thereof...  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:58:13 PM by IZRSSS »

Jeremiah

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2010, 02:35:12 AM »
A caolina blue 69 RS just showed up on ebay.

Jeremiah

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2010, 02:47:28 AM »
BTW.. here is one of the few pictures of the wifes engine compartement that barely shows the placement of the original decal on the shroud.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile

IZRSSS

« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2010, 03:46:04 AM »
Thanks for the pick of your wife's car w/tag J!!! Do you know if it was a Van Nuys build? BTW great looking engine bay. Can you send me pics of your cars etc., once you've settled in?

As for the Carolina Blue car, if you recall its the same car Nikke tried to pass off as a Carolina Blue on this same thread on Sept. 19, pg 3. For one thing its an RS w/an SS Hood. The other giveaways...the body tag looks suspicious and it was listed in Deals on Wheels and now eBay...not very good sources for an original... IMO.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 04:34:06 AM by IZRSSS »

Jeremiah

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2010, 02:13:20 PM »
Thanks for the pick of your wife's car w/tag J!!! Do you know if it was a Van Nuys build? BTW great looking engine bay. Can you send me pics of your cars etc., once you've settled in?

As for the Carolina Blue car, if you recall its the same car Nikke tried to pass off as a Carolina Blue on this same thread on Sept. 19, pg 3. For one thing its an RS w/an SS Hood. The other giveaways...the body tag looks suspicious and it was listed in Deals on Wheels and now eBay...not very good sources for an original... IMO.
Its a norwood car as was the other AC equiped car I had with the decal in the center of the shroud.. will do on the pics.

Hes not trying to pass it off as an SS eqipped car though, probably just didnt like the standard hood look, I cant say I wouldnt have done the same thing. I personally didnt see an issue with the cowl tag, maybe you know something I dont?

IZRSSS

« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2010, 10:25:08 PM »
Thanks for the info with regards to the decal.  

I'm just not sure how you can get a body tag so clean w/o affecting the surrounding area.  If paint remover or sanding was used the paint on the cowl would have been affected in some way and you would be able to see touch-up black somewhere.  The cowl paint looks too consistant right up to the edges of the tag.  Just an observation, nothing more.

There is something on the paint code that I'm unfamiliar with and maybe you can help me out...next to the dash (-) is the letter C followed by PNT.  Is this the code for Carolina?

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2010, 10:54:31 PM »
The letter "C" is for blue vinyl top.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

RAfbody

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2010, 10:56:26 PM »
The - is for the bottom paint color and the C is for the top color (Dark Blue vinyl top).
Russ