Author Topic: my 69 Z being restored  (Read 64506 times)

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
Re: my 69 Z being restored
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »
Hey Lynn. How about white top and interior, houndstooth or standard, with white stripes. Wouldn't be any less unigue then the Carolina Blue Z28. As Marlon Brando would say, "Gotta have style, gotta have class..."

I never weighed in on this.

But.... I love the color (ESPECIALLY with the Black vinyl top), and would have painted it back exactly as it is being painted.   However, given that black top, I would really really be tempted to add black stripes.

As far as the disagreements, well, hopefully we can just agree to disagree.

What a great car.

BTW, didn't read the whole thread, but the earlier Pontiacs that used this color called it Iris Mist.  Saw a Bonneville painted that color and it was killer.

GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2013, 01:11:11 AM »
Clem,
When you ordered it, how did you specify the color to the dealer?
Kurt S
CRG

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2013, 01:55:14 AM »
Yeah, what Kurt said.  Share some of the details Clem.  I am just happy to have a guy on here older than me.   And I mean that with the utmost respect.

Gary.  I just don't see this one with white vinyl and white stripes.   Just not enough contrast.   And frankly, I never cared much for the Carolina Blue car.   I have a friend that had a - - Carolina Blue SS with white vinyl top and white hockey stripes.  Didn't do much for me.

Sometimes you just need some contrast.    That is what makes your silver Z stand out.   For instance, ever see a Fathom Green car with black vinyl top and black stripes?   You almost can't see the stripes.   I also don't care for the DY with white striping.  On the other hand, DY Z/28 with black top and stripes is killer, as in killer bee!!!

And lastly, the absolute most beautiful Z/28 I have ever seen was a special order 67.    Tahoe Turquoise with black vinyl top and WHITE  stripes.   I know the black vinyl was supposed to automatically change stripe color.   I spent a lot of time in that car in high school.   Was a GM exec car that went to the exec's' son and was purchased here in Oklahoma City as a used car on a Ford lot.

Sorry sorry sorry for the hijack.  I am blaming Gary.  He asked.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2013, 01:55:55 AM »
Yeah. My wife for one has a very hard time distinguishing colors. When gets her clothes ready for work she always asks me if this matches. Her view of colors is not the same as mine.

I have tags of animals on my clothes so I know what goes together for me.  Bear goes with bear and tiger with tiger etc.
68Z28

lcmc

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2013, 03:09:01 AM »
Yeah. My wife for one has a very hard time distinguishing colors. When gets her clothes ready for work she always asks me if this matches. Her view of colors is not the same as mine.

I have tags of animals on my clothes so I know what goes together for me.  Bear goes with bear and tiger with tiger etc.

Yes but black bear and polar bear go with any animal!
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77
1970 Nova L78 9300 original miles

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2013, 03:27:26 AM »
Clem,
Clem,
the dealer and i just opened the GM color book and ordered the color. i also have had corvettes,pickups and full size chevys painted non standard colors. my anniversary gold 62 corvette took 14 days from when the order was placed till it showed up at the dealership. quickest new car order i ever got.  since the cars were painted by hand back then it seems the special color ones got a better paint job. i have been told that the paint in cans was put into the cars as they went down the assy line so when it go to the paint area they just opened the cans and put the paint into the guns and painted the cars. .
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2013, 10:11:53 PM »
Motorman, if your dealer and you sat down and opened the color chip book to pick a color, then I assume it was one from 1969. If that is the case then this car was never Evening Orchid, but probably without a doubt it was painted Olds Toronado "Flamingo Silver" code #81. This is similar, but a lot lighter shade of lavender just was what appears to be seen in the picture above of the roofrail. This color was a one year only item used by Buick (Sunset Silver) and Olds for 1969. Not many cars were painted this color either. I can see how this color could be confused to Evening Orchid, but side by side comparisons they are night and day..... The picture of the car from back in the day appears to be this 1969 Buick/Olds color as it is nowhere near dark enough for Evening Orchid.............Just my two cents worth.....................RatPack......................... Are there any pictures of the sides of the cowl panel before restoration began where the original color would have been?
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2013, 10:32:57 PM »
I have seen that Olds color you mentioned - and that is what I believe it is.

Vintage photo shows it as some type of silver with a VERY SLIGHT lavender hue.

Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2013, 10:50:50 PM »
Lynn, I got ya. How old are you? I hit 60 this year myself.

The white could be a fine line for like or dislike for some. Wasn't white or black use for the frost green 69 Camaros? I was thinking in those terms actually. Black and silver always go together, same as Black and gold. My first Z in 74 was Black but I went with gold stripes. Looked good. A friends Z was black with silver stripes. That looked good too. Orchid with black top is fine I think without the stripes. Without the purple tint, orchid is similar to Cortez Silver, so the black stripes would look good too. I've only seen orchid on a few cars that didn't have stripes. 67 Firebird, 65 Impala and a 65 GTO. Hmmmmm.

Yeah, what Kurt said.  Share some of the details Clem.  I am just happy to have a guy on here older than me.   And I mean that with the utmost respect.

Gary.  I just don't see this one with white vinyl and white stripes.   Just not enough contrast.   And frankly, I never cared much for the Carolina Blue car.   I have a friend that had a - - Carolina Blue SS with white vinyl top and white hockey stripes.  Didn't do much for me.

Sometimes you just need some contrast.    That is what makes your silver Z stand out.   For instance, ever see a Fathom Green car with black vinyl top and black stripes?   You almost can't see the stripes.   I also don't care for the DY with white striping.  On the other hand, DY Z/28 with black top and stripes is killer, as in killer bee!!!

And lastly, the absolute most beautiful Z/28 I have ever seen was a special order 67.    Tahoe Turquoise with black vinyl top and WHITE  stripes.   I know the black vinyl was supposed to automatically change stripe color.   I spent a lot of time in that car in high school.   Was a GM exec car that went to the exec's' son and was purchased here in Oklahoma City as a used car on a Ford lot.

Sorry sorry sorry for the hijack.  I am blaming Gary.  He asked.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2013, 12:50:18 AM »
Motorman, if your dealer and you sat down and opened the color chip book to pick a color, then I assume it was one from 1969. If that is the case then this car was never Evening Orchid, but probably without a doubt it was painted Olds Toronado "Flamingo Silver" code #81. This is similar, but a lot lighter shade of lavender just was what appears to be seen in the picture above of the roofrail. This color was a one year only item used by Buick (Sunset Silver) and Olds for 1969. Not many cars were painted this color either. I can see how this color could be confused to Evening Orchid, but side by side comparisons they are night and day..... The picture of the car from back in the day appears to be this 1969 Buick/Olds color as it is nowhere near dark enough for Evening Orchid.............Just my two cents worth.....................RatPack......................... Are there any pictures of the sides of the cowl panel before restoration began where the original color would have been?
you order by the color code number not the color name just as you order any option by the code number not for example 4 speed trans.
new Camaros owned 68 and 69 Z-28. new Corvettes owned 59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99 02,05 and 08. retired race engine builder, former NASCAR tech inspector

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2013, 01:09:37 AM »
kind of neat that the color on these posts is EO.   ;D ;D

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2013, 03:05:32 AM »
Clem, can you enlighten us as to what the code number was for Evening Orchid in 1969?.........Since you didn't order by name back then..............RatPack.........
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »
Clem, can you enlighten us as to what the code number was for Evening Orchid in 1969?.........Since you didn't order by name back then..............RatPack.........
i have no idea as that was 40+ YEARS AGO. you will have to check with people who paint cars for a living. i built race engines and did not paint cars.

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2013, 02:19:28 PM »
a lot of time when i ordered a new car i never went to the dealership i would just call my friend on the phone and tell him what i wanted and to call when it came in. he would sometimes hold the order for a week or so because he knew i might change my mind about the color. ;D

motorman

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2013, 02:53:16 PM »
question how many guys here on the site owned a new 69 Z/28 ?

anything