Author Topic: 69 Camaro Tilt column  (Read 15071 times)

waynechipman

• View Profile
69 Camaro Tilt column
« on: November 03, 2005, 09:38:01 PM »
Hi, I bought a 69 Camaro a couple years ago. I have done a lot of research. It came from the factory with a tilt column. The guy who owned it before me had a rebuilt column put in. He and the guy who did it threw away the old tilt. They did not have a clue about the worth of having the original parts.  My question is this, are there any connectors or parts that would be underdash to signify any difference between tilt and non tilt cars. Or am I screwed and the only backup I have is the word of the previous owners. One I do not know the Other that I bought from has no reason to lie and has been helpful since I purchased the car. I didn't ask any questions prior to purchase and only looked at the car for mybe 10 seconds before purchasing. He has no reason to lie whatsoever about the car. It is a shame they tossed the column as only a little ove 6000 out of 240,000 had it. Thanks

copo

• View Profile
Re: 69 Camaro Tilt column
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 06:15:54 AM »
I installed a tilt steering column in a 69 Z28 a few years ago. All the electrical plug ends and mounting brackets were the same as the standard column. The only difference between the standard column and tilt column is the ignition start switch.If your new column has the correct switch, you should no problems installing the column.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 01:20:05 PM »
When the ignition switch was added to the column they were designed to fit a number of models. Therefore most of the "69 Camaro" tilt columns on the market weren't born there. The main difference as I recall is the configuration of the reverse lock arm at the bottom.

If you buy one make sure the lower flange is included. On the standard column the flange is part of the steering shaft. On a tilt the shaft is splined for a separate forged flange, tilt only.
Learning more and more about less and less...

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 06:11:39 PM »
When the ignition switch was added to the column they were designed to fit a number of models. Therefore most of the "69 Camaro" tilt columns on the market weren't born there. The main difference as I recall is the configuration of the reverse lock arm at the bottom.

If you buy one make sure the lower flange is included. On the standard column the flange is part of the steering shaft. On a tilt the shaft is splined for a separate forged flange, tilt only.

William,
Your post above is from 7 yrs ago, but I've a question concerning your comment about 'splined vs non-splined' flange on tilt vs non-tilt columns.    I've got my original car partially disassembled for cleaning/preservation/maintenance, and I see that my original NON-tilt column does have a splined shaft for the coupler flange (as does the tilt column that I want to install in it's place).   The purpose of my question is to confirm that I interpreted your comment correctly?  and if your position has changed sinc 2005?   (My car was a very late '69, so maybe they changed them all to being splined later in the year?)..
Gary / 69Z28-RS
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
It could be all standard columns were changed for the 1970 model year. I believe A bodies used the same basic column as Camaro with a shaft extension. If a splined column was furnished to the plant with the flange installed it would assemble the same. There is no difference noted in the assembly manual for either column and they were different for some time.

I will have to make it a point to check Norwood cars built after N670xxx. Always someting new to learn!

Learning more and more about less and less...

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:33:27 PM »
I bought one for a 69 I had in the 90,s from a guy whose co. was called GM tilt at a show. He had at least 20 at the show. After installing it the turn signals or somethings were backwords. I called and he told me to switch some wires at the connector which I then noticed the color codes were moved from one to the other. I called him back to say it worked and asked where he got so many tilt columns. He said he searched for Olds Omegas and Pontiac Venturas in junkyards because more of them had tilt and were cheaper and it was the same unit
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »
It could be all standard columns were changed for the 1970 model year. I believe A bodies used the same basic column as Camaro with a shaft extension. If a splined column was furnished to the plant with the flange installed it would assemble the same. There is no difference noted in the assembly manual for either column and they were different for some time.

I will have to make it a point to check Norwood cars built after N670xxx. Always someting new to learn!

William,
I was mistaken on my earlier post; after a closer examination of my 'standard original column', I realized the splined coupler I was referring to was on the 'steering box' side of the joint;  my std columnn has a welded coupler..  so you were RIGHT in your earlier post..  and I wanted to correct what I'd said earlier..  :)

Hope your holidays were merry!   
Gary

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 04:04:28 AM »
Most of the other tilts they sell only have maybe 4 tilt positions while I think  real 69's had 6 ? Memory gets fuzzy with old age.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 03:11:27 PM »
Another difference I noted between the tilt column I have (purchased 35 yrs ago at a swap meet with a rosewood camaro wheel on it for $65!).. :)  and the std column is the shape of the reverse lockout lever...   std column is almost straight, whereas the tilt I have the lever has an angled bend to it...

Gary

Frosty69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 09:10:22 PM »
Is there a way to tell if the car originally had a tilt column if the original column is no longer in the car? My car was stolen from the original owner and the steering column removed, we understand because it was a tilt. The car was loaded with options, RS, AC, deluxe interior and power windows so a tilt column would fit right in.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 02:01:42 PM »
Is there a way to tell if the car originally had a tilt column if the original column is no longer in the car? My car was stolen from the original owner and the steering column removed, we understand because it was a tilt. The car was loaded with options, RS, AC, deluxe interior and power windows so a tilt column would fit right in.
Nope not without paper work such as the window sticker.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 03:36:12 PM »
I just wanted to correct what I'd wrote below re the rev lockout lever; it turns out the tilt column I believed was for a Camaro, was actually for a Chevelle (it had a different shaped reverse lockout lever).   Camaro rev lo levers are the same for tilt and non tilt, per the experts who redo tilt columns (Gary's Classics in TX)..

Another difference I noted between the tilt column I have (purchased 35 yrs ago at a swap meet with a rosewood camaro wheel on it for $65!).. :)  and the std column is the shape of the reverse lockout lever...   std column is almost straight, whereas the tilt I have the lever has an angled bend to it...