Author Topic: Correct Fasteners and headmarkings  (Read 122722 times)

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Correct Hood Catch & Plate Fasteners
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2012, 02:32:17 AM »
Firstgenaddict has countless bolt photos on his survivor 69. Check out his site. Palmetto does not build up like paint, nor does it destroy the metal.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2012, 03:06:40 AM »
I will be going through more of our orig. bolts as I decide to restore or replace

Chick...or anyone. I see this company pop up quite a bit when talking chemical restoration of fasteners and other metals. One, have you guys ever tried this company (or similar companies/products) and two do you have any before and after pics?

http://www.palmettoenterprises.net/Palmetto_Enterprises/-Welcome-.html

Yep, I have used it and it works great! Need (for best results) to glass bead the parts and your ready to cook. If the bolt/screw heads are pitted they are not going to look great as you can imagine. Clean bolt head and they will look new. Now, not sure of your two radiator support bolts but the ones from AMK are exactly what our 68 had and several other non-restored Camaros including two 69's. Here are some examples of restoring the shift rods, etc. on our Muncie shifter, and original body mount bolts using Palmetto products.

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2012, 03:49:42 AM »
Hey...almost as fun as collecting coins.  ;)

Are SEMCO & SEMS the same thing?

Sems was a division of Textron. I've documented over 30 manufacturers of bolts used on first gens and I'm sure there were more. Like John Z. stated there are so many variables such as sourcing issue, shortages, build periods , plants and ECO's during the year that you can only go by what was typically used, which is why untouched benchmark cars are so important.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2012, 04:16:07 AM »
Mike – Appreciate all the pics of your survivor 67’s fasteners. Please keep them coming. Do you have pics of the car you can share?

Here are a couple of pics from fasteners that appear to be factory on my 69. I won’t bother mentioning where they're from because I don't have a clue if they are in the right spot. Exception…Rad Support bolt, for obvious reasons. Anyway, the most important issue pending, are the head-marks…once that's figured out I think the rest will be a cake walk.

??? Compare your anchor to mine...notice anything ???

Any 69's out there  ???

That anchor does look a little crooked. The ones I have look like yours! Your two middle bolts in the picture is what is in our 69 NOR Oct 69 (10D) L48 hood latch. Your top RBW bolt are in numerous places like the fender/rad support bar. Your bottom RBW bolt looks like a bolt from the 12 bolt rear end cover but only you would know for sure. Here is a picture of a new bolt for the rad. support to sub-frame that is the same as what was in which comes in the bolt kits I purchased from Heartbeat. Also a bolt from the rear bumper guard from a NOR 69.
Same mfg. just a little different.

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

IZRSSS

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2012, 01:56:58 PM »
Sems was a division of Textron. I've documented over 30 manufacturers of bolts used on first gens and I'm sure there were more. Like John Z. stated there are so many variables such as sourcing issue, shortages, build periods , plants and ECO's during the year that you can only go by what was typically used, which is why untouched benchmark cars are so important.

Thank you Steve...PM Sent...

Scott - Thanks for reminding me. James has some excellent pics on his site as you've mentioned.

IZRSSS

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »
Chick - I really like how your hardware turned out using Palmetto's product. And thanks for the tip on glass beading, the head-marks look great!

Just an observation between the two anchor fasteners pictured (mine vs Mike's); the anchors are positioned upside down to one another as they relate to the grade bars.

Very happy to hear about the middle bolts {pics in reply 20} matching your 69’s L48’s hood latch. Does the same hold true for all the bolts/screws (with captured/serrated washer) on the latch and plate or just for the horns?

Good news on the top RBW bolts/screws. The bottom RBW bolt/screw is the top fasteners for the condenser to upper rad support (AIM C60/B1).

Appreciate the pics of the rad to sub frame bolts and the rear bumper guard bolts/screws.

This pic shows the screws on my rear BG’s...

IZRSSS

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 03:12:47 PM »
I promise to fact find only one fastener per week.

Oh well... :-\

Dug up a few old pics...

Please take another look at #2 below and the fastener in my first post. Isn't this a LF GR-5.1? If so, is it a factory correct head-mark? I have too many of these for them not to be correct. The car had a frame on restoration. I don't think #2 bolt would have been touched/swapped. I know I need to be concerned with configurations also, but...one bridge at a time. ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:37:41 PM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 03:13:50 PM »

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 04:31:22 PM »
FWIW I talked with Dave at HeartBeat City about bolts for my rear spoiler and he said they get all their bolts from AMK and repackage into smaller or single service packages. All this was because of the $30.00 minimum AMK has and a lot of people only need 4 bolts like me for my spoiler.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2012, 05:09:10 PM »
Back in the mid-60's, the RBW headmark was for Russell, Birdsall & Ward (which later went through several ownership changes). The stylized/angled "F" with a horizontal line through it was Falcon Forge.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2012, 12:30:50 AM »
Daniel - Thanks for the heads-up. A person can save a few bucks...

John - Thanks, I found a few fasteners w/that same stylized "F".

Can someone tell me if you have this fastener holding down your passenger seat? I'm asking because I have two completely different styles for each seat. I think its a Fisher application and I also think they show fixed studs w/nuts on the top side.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2012, 02:01:03 AM »
Hi Marty,

I almost knocked myself out! Moving the seat forward to look at the rear bolts and unhooking and pushing the seat back forward against the steering wheel, I let go when I got down to look at the bolts and 'bang'! The metal seat back came down hard  :o

I check my NOR car and have a mixture of the SEMS ( 6 out of 8 ) bolt you show and also another marking shown in the attached picture. The picture shows two 'L's opposite and flipped to each other and the outer 'C' seems to have a hook on the top end.
  The LOS car has all 8 the same and that is the same style you show but the head markings look like the letters 'FH' surrounded by a circle made up of 2 fine lines. The letters are faint though.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

IZRSSS

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2012, 02:14:55 AM »
Been there done that...just when you think you have these cars figured out they beat you up side the head...  ;D

Really appreciate the info. Not really sure what the heck I was looking at in the Fisher manual. I'll do a little more digging...good to know they're the same type. I can make out the peri-teeth/captured washer in your pic. 

Thanks!

IZRSSS

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 03:00:44 AM »
I'll do a little more digging...

Should have looked a little closer (underlined in red)...

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 03:10:28 AM »
Several things:
I have an older fastener mfg ID booklet laying around (somewhere). There's two suppliers that used the stylized FF. I recalll Flying Forge was one, but nice to have it confirmed as a GM supplier. I've seen these more on 67's.
Most of the E's I have seen have smaller E's.
Yes, the seat bolts have the serrations on the washers. Never figured out why.
Lots of RBW, C, Anchor, and some E's on 69 NOR's.
Kurt S
CRG

anything