Author Topic: Shifters  (Read 11257 times)

JoeC

• View Profile
Re: Shifters
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 03:38:47 PM »
here are pictures of the 69 SB mount plate and the Sag Rev trans lever

The 69 SB mount plate is not too hard to find on ebay

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 03:24:01 AM »
I have that shifter plate. I had that installed on the car with the current "Chevelle" rods and the shifter would not shift correctly. So I put the current plate on. The one with the c clamp that goes around the tailshaft. Would the wrong rods cause the shifter to hit the tunnel? When I get the correct Saginaw rods and use the above plate the shifter should fit correctly and shift correctly?
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 10:56:01 PM »
I am still not 100% with my shifter set up. Recently I have been running the Chevelle shifter rods and after market shifter plate with a OEM shifter. It has actually been shifting fine. I have purchased correct Camaro Saginaw shifter rods and I had a OEM shifter plate. When I bolt the shifter to the shifter plate the shifter will not shift into 2 or 4 because the shifter hits the tranny tunnel. When I use the aftermarket shifter plate I don't get the shifter hitting the tranny tunnel. I feel like I have a shifter plate that may not be right. However, it bolts to the holes on the Saginaw and seems like I have it right? Are there more than one bolt pattern shifter plates for a small block 69 Camaro?

Thanks for any comments

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 12:17:31 AM »
Not to hijack this thread but I am planning to get this shifter and mount it to a M20 trans. Do I have to have NOS or used shifter rods or can I use after market Hurst shifter rods.

Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »
That is an interesting hybrid mix of parts between a production version and the aftermarket version of the Hurst Competition Plus shifter for a '69 Camaro. You will need some special parts from both to finish the install.  ::)

Have we talked about tail housing casting numbers yet?

We will also need to know the style of lever on the side of the tranny. The older transmissions use nuts to hold the levers on. The '69 and newer muncie uses bolts to retain the levers. The levers are different depending on the year of the transmission. They are not interchangeable.

-Mark.

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »
if you want to restore that shifter to OEM spec. you will need to find some parts

your forward shifter levers have the big hole used with aftermaket style bushings. I have seen where some people would drill out the OEM levers.
Your rev lever is OEM but missing the rubber bushing

The Muncie rods and trans levers are  available in reproduction but the shifter levers are not so you will need to find them or use the aftermarket bushing.
The 69 OEM shifter used a molded on rubber bushing. The 1970 and up style rubber bushing can be used as a replacement bushing

Your shifter body would need to be replaced as it should not have the stop adjustment bolt

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 02:56:34 PM »
I am still not 100% with my shifter set up. Recently I have been running the Chevelle shifter rods and after market shifter plate with a OEM shifter. It has actually been shifting fine. I have purchased correct Camaro Saginaw shifter rods and I had a OEM shifter plate. When I bolt the shifter to the shifter plate the shifter will not shift into 2 or 4 because the shifter hits the tranny tunnel. When I use the aftermarket shifter plate I don't get the shifter hitting the tranny tunnel. I feel like I have a shifter plate that may not be right. However, it bolts to the holes on the Saginaw and seems like I have it right? Are there more than one bolt pattern shifter plates for a small block 69 Camaro?

only one SB shifter mount plate

was your car an original 4 speed car? If not, maybe your floor hole is not correct.

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 05:29:10 PM »
Joe my car is an original 4 speed car, but one thing I failed to mention the tranny is out of an early 70's car. It appears the tail shaft and main casing are from different transmissions because I have found two different date codes. So is there a different shifter plate for a early 70's Camaro or Chevelle?

I may be forced to use the shifter plate that has the clamp that goes around the tail shaft if I can't find the right plate.

Thanks

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 07:26:53 PM »
1970 Camaro used a lot different mount plate and different shifter so dont think that will help you.

I know some of the later Saginaw trans will fit in the 69 with no problems but I don't know if they made some with different mount hole locations.

The 69 OEM trans mount has a slot for the lower shifter bolt. The slot provides some adjustment to tilt the shifter forward or back.
Did your shifter tilt forward and back in the slot with no rods connected? There should be enough adjustment to fit in the floor hole.

There is a special shaped nut that fits in that slot

There is also a special button head screw needed in the lower hole of the mount plate

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 11:56:30 PM »
Joe I have the bolt with the special nut and yes I have tilted the shifter as far forward as possible to try and get more throw for second and fourth but no luck. I don't have the correct button head fastener for the shifter I have two out of three that are correct and just using a fastener that is the correct length and thread size for the missing button head fastener.

I was searching around online today reading about Saginaws and found a drawing out of service manual from a 68 firebird. The drawing showed the 4 speed Saginaw and how the shifter bolted to the tranny. The shift plate in the drawing was different from what I have. So this brings me back to the fact not knowing what this transmission came out of I will probably be forced to use this plate with the "C" clamp and deal with the shifter not being perfect in the console. It's not that bad I am just very picky and want things correct. I also have thought about putting a M 20 Muncie in it and then all is good, but I am having a hard time justifying spending $1000 because my shifter is not perfect in the console. This car is not a HP car it is a cruiser and I am trying to keep that in perspective too.

Thanks for all of your help

Lawrence

anything