Author Topic: ?Fake POP?  (Read 16854 times)

IZRSSS

Re: ?Fake POP?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 03:35:46 AM »
Check the subframe to see if there is a pre-drilled hole for the center brace (arrow on AIM D80). You can also check to see if one of the deck lids torsion rods is thicker. Either one/both would indicate factory installed D80. Don't loose any sleep over it if neither one is present. Just do like me, or every other guy and say it was dealer installed.  ;D

Keep us posted...sounds like a nice car!

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 07:03:36 AM »
Marty....I don't believe that the presence of the hole drilled in the middle of the subframe indicates a factory install of D80.  My 1968 07C has that hole drilled in the subframe and being a 1968 it had the short spoiler installed at the factory and that spoiler didn't use any of the braces.

I am the second owner of the car and when I bought it the short factory spoiler was on there and the original owner states that the car had never been modified in any way from its factory condition.   So it appears that the subframe came from the factory with the holed drilled and I am assuming that all the subframes during that time frame were already being drilled for the upcoming 1969 production run that would use the hole for the spoiler brace.

BTW....I stated that the car had never been modified...well the original owner did install an add on air conditioner for his wife as she was the primary driver.  What a modification!!!!!   LOL
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

IZRSSS

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 12:57:53 PM »
Jerry - Your air dam would be an interesting topic for research if someone hasn't already done so. I am simply stating what CRG's report has to say concerning the '69 D80 pkg (under... Spoilers (D80) ).

http://www.camaros.org/options.shtml#idd

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 03:46:47 AM »
I saw this car when it was first listed on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270875955077  VIN is 124379N688125 for future reference.

From the ad:
"engine suffix HB, casting 3932388" - late for a 388 block. Possible, but late.
"This very early production '69 was built the 4th week of September (09D), 1968."

Both the engine and axle dates are too late for that VIN. Comparing it to other known ship dates, the car should have shipped several days *before* the 10/28. Having an original drivetrain dated after the ship date - that would be hard to have happen. And having it sold before the drivetrain was built - what dealer would do that - you just shortened the warranty period.

The broadcast sheet looks good. I'd have to conclude the POP is suspect.

Kurt S
CRG

BLUE69Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 02:19:12 AM »
Did you end up buying this car? anyone have a print out of the ebay auction, the link is invalid due to over 90 days old. Thanks

anything