Author Topic: Crossram manifold  (Read 105128 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Crossram manifold
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:37:53 PM »
Many thanks go out to Tom McIntyre for sending me these photos of his early prototype cross ram manifold so we can all enjoy them.
Wayne Guinn's book Camaro: Untold Secrets is a great resource for learning more about these manifolds.

Here's a shot of Tom's manifold as seen from above. The rear of the manifold is to the right.

A view of the manifold as seen from the rear. The hex-head brass plug is not original.

A view of the manifold as seen from the front. The gasket between the lid and base is much thicker than original.

A look down through one of the carburetor openings.

This view shows the lid removed and flipped upside down.

Handmade fuel distribution fixes are seen here at the inside/front of the manifold by intake runners #1 and #3.

Another fuel distribution fix, this one to the rear of the #4 intake runner.

A look at the bottom side of the manifold showing a heat shield riveted in place.

Another look at the heat shield. These heat shields were only used on the prototypes and then
discontinued on the production manifolds. They weren't found to be necessary.

Some material has been added to raise the height of the port and some grinding is evident to clean up that area, as well as to to match up with the cylinder
head ports. Also of note are the oval shaped holes for the intake mounting bolts which probably were necessitated by a decked block and/or milled heads.

Another look at the bottom of the manifold, this time as seen from the front. The shape of the front of the prototype manifolds
around the waterneck area is different than the production units.

Same thing but this time from the rear. The casting date and part number are under this shield, which has never been disturbed.
Another prototype base which has had its shield removed showed a casting number of 0-310510.

The casting numbers on the lid of this manifold. Casting number for this piece is 0-310512.

Closer view and different angle. Casting date which looked like 12-8-67 above appears like it might be 12-3-67.

Someone has put a freeze plug in the hole for the oil filler tube. The Winters Foundry mark
to the right is slightly larger and raised higher than on the production cross ram manifold.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:46:05 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Crossram manifold
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 03:51:23 PM »
Here's a link to a CRG report I wrote on cross rams many years ago.

http://www.camaros.org/crossram.shtml
Jon Mello
CRG

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:40:58 PM »
Jon, I believe there was a similar if not identical manifold displayed at the 07 Camaro Nats.
I am glad your pics are so much more detailed.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 06:46:38 PM »
Thanks for the photo, James. That does appear to be another prototype manifold. I wonder if it is the same one that Wayne used for ID purposes when he wrote his book.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 08:10:56 PM »
Original GM cross ram manifold owned by Camaro enthusiast Jay Parsons. The lid is dated 8-21-69 and the base is dated 10-1-69.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 11:23:37 PM »
1969 article on the Offenhauser cross ram, which is strikingly similar to the GM part. An interesting thing about the
Offy manifold is the variety of lids they offered for it, which allowed different carbs to be used. (Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 03:14:53 AM »
I have never seen a Weber lid like that before. I wonder if there are any around yet.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 05:21:40 AM »
I have seen the Weber lids but have never seen anybody run one on a car. I think they look pretty cool.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 03:57:50 PM »
From the Bell Auto Parts catalog of 1970, courtesy of Robert Lodewyk.

Jon Mello
CRG

68crossram

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 02:20:29 AM »
Jon, I've read a fair bit of your articles on the crossram and find you very informative. I'm wondering if you have any info on a car that came to Canada called the Mini Mauler from Baldwin Motion Performance? I may have the original air cleaner from this car. It was a prototype. I also have a 68 prototype crossram manifold. Both were documented by Wayne Guinn and on his website. If anyone knows anything about either the air cleaner or manifold and how any racing history, I'd love to hear about it.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 03:47:48 PM »
I have seen the Mini Mauler article but did know know the story about the car going to Canada. If you have some pics of the air cleaner and prototype crossram, post them here when you get a chance.
Jon Mello
CRG

68crossram

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 11:40:13 PM »
Jon, I also have read the Mini Mauler article and have no proof that the car was sold into Canada. But for sure the crossram and air cleaner from that car showed up in Canada. I purchased the air cleaner at a swap meet in Barrie, Ontario about the same time that someone from Georgetown, Ontario purchased the crossram. When I was at the GM Nationals several years ago I met with Mr. Thompson and had him sign the prototype air cleaner. He did a discussion in conjunction with Wayne Guinn and Rick's First Generation Parts.

68crossram

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 11:43:08 PM »
I'll have to dig up more of my air cleaner pictures but here is a picture of the underside of the lid. Looks like rods were welded in for spacing and then cut out at some point prior to use.

68crossram

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 11:46:58 PM »
Also some inter departmental memo from August 1967 regarding the crossram set up. I guess I'm looking for anyone with owner history of that green 68 Z/28 that had the crossram installed by Motion. If I had the VIN I could find out if it was ever registered in Canada, or if the manifold was removed then ended up here.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 06:16:16 AM »
I had a schedule conflict and couldn't attend that show but really wanted to. I don't have a VIN for that Mini Mauler car. Sure wish I did but no such luck. Nice to know that you can look up a car's registration history up there in Canada. If I can come up with a VIN of an interesting car that may have Canadian history, I might give you a job to do.  ;)
Jon Mello
CRG

anything