Author Topic: Crossram manifold  (Read 105102 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Crossram manifold
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:37:53 PM »
Many thanks go out to Tom McIntyre for sending me these photos of his early prototype cross ram manifold so we can all enjoy them.
Wayne Guinn's book Camaro: Untold Secrets is a great resource for learning more about these manifolds.

Here's a shot of Tom's manifold as seen from above. The rear of the manifold is to the right.

A view of the manifold as seen from the rear. The hex-head brass plug is not original.

A view of the manifold as seen from the front. The gasket between the lid and base is much thicker than original.

A look down through one of the carburetor openings.

This view shows the lid removed and flipped upside down.

Handmade fuel distribution fixes are seen here at the inside/front of the manifold by intake runners #1 and #3.

Another fuel distribution fix, this one to the rear of the #4 intake runner.

A look at the bottom side of the manifold showing a heat shield riveted in place.

Another look at the heat shield. These heat shields were only used on the prototypes and then
discontinued on the production manifolds. They weren't found to be necessary.

Some material has been added to raise the height of the port and some grinding is evident to clean up that area, as well as to to match up with the cylinder
head ports. Also of note are the oval shaped holes for the intake mounting bolts which probably were necessitated by a decked block and/or milled heads.

Another look at the bottom of the manifold, this time as seen from the front. The shape of the front of the prototype manifolds
around the waterneck area is different than the production units.

Same thing but this time from the rear. The casting date and part number are under this shield, which has never been disturbed.
Another prototype base which has had its shield removed showed a casting number of 0-310510.

The casting numbers on the lid of this manifold. Casting number for this piece is 0-310512.

Closer view and different angle. Casting date which looked like 12-8-67 above appears like it might be 12-3-67.

Someone has put a freeze plug in the hole for the oil filler tube. The Winters Foundry mark
to the right is slightly larger and raised higher than on the production cross ram manifold.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:46:05 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Crossram manifold
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 03:51:23 PM »
Here's a link to a CRG report I wrote on cross rams many years ago.

http://www.camaros.org/crossram.shtml
Jon Mello
CRG

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:40:58 PM »
Jon, I believe there was a similar if not identical manifold displayed at the 07 Camaro Nats.
I am glad your pics are so much more detailed.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 06:46:38 PM »
Thanks for the photo, James. That does appear to be another prototype manifold. I wonder if it is the same one that Wayne used for ID purposes when he wrote his book.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 08:10:56 PM »
Original GM cross ram manifold owned by Camaro enthusiast Jay Parsons. The lid is dated 8-21-69 and the base is dated 10-1-69.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 11:23:37 PM »
1969 article on the Offenhauser cross ram, which is strikingly similar to the GM part. An interesting thing about the
Offy manifold is the variety of lids they offered for it, which allowed different carbs to be used. (Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 03:14:53 AM »
I have never seen a Weber lid like that before. I wonder if there are any around yet.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 05:21:40 AM »
I have seen the Weber lids but have never seen anybody run one on a car. I think they look pretty cool.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 03:57:50 PM »
From the Bell Auto Parts catalog of 1970, courtesy of Robert Lodewyk.

Jon Mello
CRG

68crossram

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 02:20:29 AM »
Jon, I've read a fair bit of your articles on the crossram and find you very informative. I'm wondering if you have any info on a car that came to Canada called the Mini Mauler from Baldwin Motion Performance? I may have the original air cleaner from this car. It was a prototype. I also have a 68 prototype crossram manifold. Both were documented by Wayne Guinn and on his website. If anyone knows anything about either the air cleaner or manifold and how any racing history, I'd love to hear about it.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 03:47:48 PM »
I have seen the Mini Mauler article but did know know the story about the car going to Canada. If you have some pics of the air cleaner and prototype crossram, post them here when you get a chance.
Jon Mello
CRG

68crossram

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 11:40:13 PM »
Jon, I also have read the Mini Mauler article and have no proof that the car was sold into Canada. But for sure the crossram and air cleaner from that car showed up in Canada. I purchased the air cleaner at a swap meet in Barrie, Ontario about the same time that someone from Georgetown, Ontario purchased the crossram. When I was at the GM Nationals several years ago I met with Mr. Thompson and had him sign the prototype air cleaner. He did a discussion in conjunction with Wayne Guinn and Rick's First Generation Parts.

68crossram

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 11:43:08 PM »
I'll have to dig up more of my air cleaner pictures but here is a picture of the underside of the lid. Looks like rods were welded in for spacing and then cut out at some point prior to use.

68crossram

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 11:46:58 PM »
Also some inter departmental memo from August 1967 regarding the crossram set up. I guess I'm looking for anyone with owner history of that green 68 Z/28 that had the crossram installed by Motion. If I had the VIN I could find out if it was ever registered in Canada, or if the manifold was removed then ended up here.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 06:16:16 AM »
I had a schedule conflict and couldn't attend that show but really wanted to. I don't have a VIN for that Mini Mauler car. Sure wish I did but no such luck. Nice to know that you can look up a car's registration history up there in Canada. If I can come up with a VIN of an interesting car that may have Canadian history, I might give you a job to do.  ;)
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 05:42:59 AM »
CARS magazine road test of the Fathom Blue crossram-equipped "Mini-Mauler" from Motion. (Jon Mello Collection)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:04:15 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

68crossram

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 02:25:48 PM »
Does anyone know when this article came out in Cars Magazine? I see the dual 4 intake has the splash shield on the back that was not present on the production units.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 04:29:21 PM »
It was in the October 1968 issue which may have come out around August of that year and would have been written before that.
Jon Mello
CRG

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 03:08:29 AM »
Also some inter departmental memo from August 1967 regarding the crossram set up.

68crossram, Thank you for sharing the very informative letter. I'm working on a little project right now and this letter appears to have some data noted that I have been researching. I would greatly appreciate if you could post and share the remainder of the letter.
Thanks again!

The Cars Mag story on the Mini Mauler  sure gets the blood pumping!

68crossram

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 12:03:49 PM »
The picture of the letter came from either documentation that Wayne Guinn had or Mr. Thompson. It was displayed on the table along with the crossram manifolds. That is all I have of it. Somewhere I have contact info for Wayne but think he might also have contact info on his website.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 05:04:50 AM »
These are some pictures sent to me by the late Scott Madsen a few years ago. His father was Doug Madsen, one of the top
Corvette/Rochester FI mechanics in the country back in the '60s. Doug was the mechanic for Steve Elfenbein's Marina Blue
Z-28 out of New Jersey and this crossram is supposed to be the one that was on Elfenbein's car back in the late '60s. Scott
told me that he was told by Steve that the little squirters in the carbs were done by one of Vince Piggins' guys (probably
Bill Howell).

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 05:07:48 AM »
Here are some photos of an interesting fiberglass crossram aircleaner base from the Frank Profeta, Jr Collection.
This base supposedly came right from the Penske garage when they were doing some annual clean up, according
to the person who sold it to Frank. Frank bought it sometime in the early eighties. It did have a seal on it when it
was received but it was disintegrating and making a mess so it was removed. It's not known who had installed the
the seal in the first place.

The Penske Racing on the base was probably made from a Dymo label tape gun. The label on the base appears to
be part of the base. Looking at the base from the top you would not immediate catch that it is fiberglass except
that the lip found on the edge of a steel original is not there on the fiberglass part.

Warren asks "Did Penske use the vent tube that went into the base on his other crossrams? It's possible this fiberglass
base was made and never used." I have not had time yet to look at the '69 Penske engine photos to answer Warren's
question but that bears looking into.

This fiberglass base weighs 1.8 lbs. compared to 3.6 lbs. for an NOS original example. It's not known for sure if this actually
came from Penske or if someone was making the bases as a repop and stuck a Penske Racing label on one. Hopefully someone
here on our forum can verify its origin.

Mitch Moore from Kentucky also has one of these bases and I will post pics of Mitch's base next. If you look at Mitch's and
Frank's base where the vent tube hole has been taped off you can clearly see they were made from the same mold, however
Mitch's does not say Penske on it anywhere.

Warren Malkin, Jr photo

Warren Malkin, Jr photo

Warren Malkin, Jr photo

Warren Malkin, Jr photo

Warren Malkin, Jr photo

Warren Malkin, Jr photo

Warren Malkin, Jr photo

Warren Malkin, Jr photo

An original NOS steel base on the left vs. the fiberglass reproduction (no lip present).

Warren Malkin, Jr photo

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 05:19:27 AM »
Here are photos of Mitch's base. He claims to have bought this at Carlisle back in the early '80s. Anybody have information on these fiberglass bases?

Mitch Moore photo

Mitch Moore photo

Mitch Moore photo

Mitch Moore photo

Mitch Moore photo

No "Penske Racing" imprint on this base.

Mitch Moore photo
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2013, 05:19:00 AM »
Here we have another fiberglass air cleaner base for a crossram. This is one that Frank Dihartce bought from Dick Lewis around 1980.
Dick told Frank that it came out of Chevrolet Engineering for Penske Racing. Frank's base looks like it came from the same mold that
made the two bases above, however the hole has been punched out for the crankcase breather elbow and no "Penske Racing" is embossed.

Frank Dihartce photo

Frank Dihartce photo

Frank Dihartce photo

Frank Dihartce photo

Frank Dihartce photo

Frank Dihartce photo

Frank Dihartce photo

Frank Dihartce photo
Jon Mello
CRG

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
great pics

I have seen those nozzles before. They were used by some to make a single acc pump Holley work like the double pumper.

The double pumper Holley 850 came out about 1968 and was used on the L88 Corvette then some clever aftermarket co. sold a kit called a
"gear injector kit". The kit had a acc nozzle conversion with the tubes going into the secondaries and a set of gears that replaced the vac sec parts.
It converted a Holley single pump vac sec carb into a double pump mech sec carb.

I have an old Holley 3310 that has the conversion installed.

That tube idea may have come from a Holley engineer working with the cross ram project?
interesting stuff

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 03:47:28 AM »
Can you post a picture of the carb with the kit on it?

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 01:10:31 AM »
here is the old vac sec Holley with the "gear injector kit"

I have an add for the kit from an old magizine

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 03:33:20 AM »
That is pretty neat. I have never seen anything like it. Did it come with a 50cc pump too?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 02:57:17 AM »
Here's a Motion Performance ad showing the kit.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 03:05:44 AM »
CARS magazine feature on the Edelbrock version of the crossram manifold used on their "Z-30" project Camaro.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 01:42:10 PM »
Here's the CARS magazine feature on their Z-30 "Green Meanie" street/drag racer that was their answer to the
"Blue Maxi" project Camaro done by Car & Driver magazine.

Jon Mello
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 02:09:50 PM »
I remember the blue maxi, as I have that magazine somewhere in my collection, but I don't recall the 'green meanie'..  Do you have any color photos?  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 01:21:38 AM »
Sorry Gary, no I don't have any color shots of the car. I wish I did but it I don't think any ever made it into print. I would deduce that the car was fathom green.
Jon Mello
CRG

TODD

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 12:13:28 PM »
Any shots of the side of the car I'd like to see what those side exhausts look like on the car.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 04:10:55 PM »
Sorry, Todd.  Those are the only shots of the car that I know about.
Jon Mello
CRG

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 04:52:42 PM »
Vintage crossram photos in a '68 Z28...

Paul

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2013, 05:45:42 AM »
Super Chevy article on the Chevy cross ram from 1982 showing a few vintage pics
as well as the original installation instruction sheets. (Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2013, 05:52:10 AM »
Many thanks to Frank Dihartce for sharing pictures of his April 8, 1968 dated crossram with us. Frank tells me that
he believes this is the earliest casting date that was made available through the Chevy parts department for purchase
by the general public. These April manifolds still had the provision for the oil shield on the underside on the bottom
half of the manifold. Frank's manifold is using the LIST-4295 carburetors but I think GM was still using the LIST-4210A
carburetors in April '68.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2013, 06:16:25 AM »
More awesome crossram goodies from the Frank Dihartce Collection. Some neat details in these photos.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 06:20:40 AM »
Here's a November '68 crossram manifold setup, also from the Frank Dihartce Collection.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 06:25:55 AM »
These are some nice, close-up shots of an original GM fuel block for the crossram set-up, again from the Frank Dihartce Collection.
Many thanks to Frank for sharing these photos with us.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2014, 05:02:16 AM »
Here's another crossram from the Frank Dihartce Collection. This is what Frank has to say about it...

"This is another crossram 4.8.68 dated setup I bought. It is stamped “KL RACING” on the front runner, and came with two 4295 Holley carbs 891 dated, fuel block with four lines and one hose nipple, oil splash shield, oil fill tube, and water neck. The manifold lid has no date which is consistent with the other 4.8.68 unit I had, and the manifold bottom is exactly the same as my other 4.8.68 unit."

Anyone out there have any thoughts on who KL Racing might be?

Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »
Fascinating and informative thread! Were teams allowed to run either the Offenhauser or Edelbrock intakes in period, or was it only the GM product that was homologated for use?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2014, 04:15:23 AM »
Thanks, Steve. You could run aftermarket manifolds starting in 1971 but by then the 2x4 manifolds had been disallowed. Camaros were only able to use the GM crossram in '68 and '69 then they had to go to the single 4-bbl manifold in 1970.
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »
Thanks Jon, great info! So given the prices commanded for the GM manifolds, and their scarcity (as I say that there appear to be two of them on ebay as I write this), are HTA car owners running 1968/69 cars allowed to fit either the Offenhauser or Edelbrock intakes or can they only fit the GM intake, as per the period?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2014, 01:48:25 PM »
Steve, the HTA group has allowed aftermarket crossrams since the authentic GM versions are so expensive, among other considerations. Years ago they allowed Vic Edelbrock to use the Edelbrock version of the crossram on his Camaro because, well, he's Vic Edelbrock. Vic had (and still has) been very supportive of the group in a number of ways, so it was a courtesy extended to him. But it has grown from there to encompass some of the other Camaros running in the group.
Jon Mello
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2014, 04:30:24 PM »
Just noticed but I wonder why in the Z30 article they used a small balancer..

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2014, 05:39:11 PM »
Coudn't tell you. I think that's a display engine and not what actually went in the Z/30 car.
Jon Mello
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2014, 07:11:46 PM »
Makes sense..

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2014, 03:04:03 AM »
Early prototype crossram manifold advertised for sale on the yenko.net website...

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/592374/crossram-corvette-intakes-and-#Post592374
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2015, 08:11:34 PM »
March 1968 Chevrolet Engineering Service Letter introducing the cross ram manifold, aka 2x4 Carburetor Conversion package.
(Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2015, 12:39:31 AM »
Chevrolet drawing and instructions for some of the necessary adjustments for the cross ram. (Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG

67pACe

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2015, 06:10:17 PM »
I also have an original of the Chevrolet drawing in an old GM parts counter book I received from a dealership. Has lots of interesting stuff. I've collected parts for crossrams over the years and currently have a 6-19-68 top mated to a 6-25-68 base that is in a glass top coffee table. Objects de art is how I see these units now.

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2015, 07:10:21 PM »
Objects de art is how I see these units now.

No No no, you're doing it all wrong, you need to mount it on a working engine...............then connect it to your wives blender or a washing machine or something. Now that would be a spectacle!
Nick

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2015, 02:35:57 AM »
Here is the engine bay of a '69 Z28 road car here in New Zealand I was looking at last week:

satman

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2015, 12:37:46 AM »
This manifold was a fantastic piece of engineering it gave us more raw HP per $$$ right out of the box than any modification than any modification we ever made .......... I could never understand why SCCA outlawed it in 1970, perhaps they were trying to save us fuel.

AL

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2015, 03:09:58 PM »
Al, did you ever get any help from Bill Howell or other Chevy people on setting up the carbs for the crossram, what jet sizes to use, etc?

BTW, where was that picture taken?
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2015, 08:24:12 PM »
Hi Al,

Where is our old crew buddy Dennis?  He was at one time, working for a large downtown Toronto Ford dealer.  Dennis was
a neat guy.

Robert

satman

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2015, 02:33:12 AM »
  Jon 
   The picture was taken at Lawrence transmission shop in Toronto ...... We shared a large garage with a bunch of stock car racers but my friend Bob Speck would let us use his shop to build our motors. In fact I think we assembled the manifold on my kitchen table. The only help we ever got from GM was from a friend of mine who worked in the parts department at the GM plant in Oshawa, he could get us anything we wanted as long as it would fit in his lunch box.

Bob
Lost track of Dennis originally he was slated to drive the car but we ended up striking a deal with a used car salesman from
St. Catherines and as they the say rest is history. Reflecting back on our race team Churchill's words come to mind " no one has done so much with so little "

AL

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2018, 03:29:40 AM »
Crossram manifold with extra goodies for sale.  For the man with very deep pockets.

https://www.hemmings.com/parts/item/14148.html?refer=news
Jon Mello
CRG

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2018, 05:48:11 AM »
Ouch!

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2018, 04:51:34 PM »
For 85K I think I will let you guys move on this one. Odd they were in a rush to get it done for a race but the carbs were not made until about 14 weeks later.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2018, 05:18:26 PM »
Crossram ad says it was being prepared for a 1968 Sebring race. I would think the matched 824 carb dates are fine. Race date was March 23, 1968.
                                                  - Warren

http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/race.php?raceid=6122

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2018, 05:39:12 PM »
Jon, does it come attached to your Z? If so I the check is in the mail.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2018, 10:23:41 PM »
Greetings JON MELLO and others,

Greatly appreciate and RESPECT all your work documenting.

New to the forum, found while researching 1969 Hurst AMX S/S cars.

If I may, on your CRG CrossRam & Carb pages, it appears
there may be a couple typo errors on Holley Carburetor Numbers ?

In the body of the text and in the Carburetor Usage Chart.

imho, ? should the 1968 Carburetor Usage Chart should read ?:

302/290 (2X4) 3906631 (proto) Holley # 3810
302/290 (2X4) 3941140 (early) Holley # 4210
302/290 (2X4) 3957859 (later) Holley # 4295

"It appears" the GM #3942595 302 CrossRam FUEL PIPE Number got typed
in error as the GM Part Number for the Holley List #4210 1st Design Carb,
whereas GM #3941140 appears correct for the Holley #4210 1st Design Carb,
and for GM #3957859 appears correct for the Holley #4295 2nd Design Carb.

Appears GM #3906631 is the correct number for the Holley #3810
which was used as a Proto-Type and starting point for the
Holley List #4210 1st Design Carb used on the CrossRam.

There are prototype CrossRam & Carbs pictures on the web
where the Carb Choke Horn List Number "4210" is ETCHED in place,
maybe "3810" is etched out, and GM #3906631 is left as-stamped.

Also, it appears that ONLY the GM and Offenhauser SBC CrossRam Intakes
were made with the "Central Aft Carb BellCrank Relief Pocket"
which allows the Driver's Side Carb to be mounted "Backwards"
allowing for "improved Fuel Air Distribution"...

Whereas the Edelbrock SBC CrossRam Intake,
as well as the Edelbrock CrossRam for the AMC V8's,
does NOT have the "Central Aft Carb BellCrank Relief Pocket"
which "dis-allows" the Driver's Side "Backwards" Carb mounting. 

May be worth mentioning another "unique" feature of the 4210 & 4295
Chevy CrossRam Holley Carbs are their "Left Handed" Center Hung
Fuel Bowl Inlets, combined with the "Backwards" Driver's Side mounting,
allows all the Linkage and Fuel Lines to be centrally located... "clean".

Also, as best as I've been able to establish, it appears that
the SBC 302 CrossRam 2nd Design Holley List 4295 Carburetors
were the 1st Holley DOUBLE PUMPER CARBS ! ? !

Not only was the Edelbrock AMC CrossRam Intake used on the 1969
Hurst AMX S/S 390 "handicapped" with "non-symmetrical" Carb mounting,
it is my belief that the OEM Holley List # 4584 Carburetors specified
were "re-numbered, re-applied, Chevy 302 throwback" List 4210 Carbs.

Nothing but the upmost respect for your work.
Only trying to learn and understand and clarify.

Thank You, C. Kevin Thomas

CrossRams page:   http://www.camaros.org/crossram.shtml
Carburetors page:   http://www.camaros.org/carb.shtml
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:49:52 PM by PHAT69AMX »

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2018, 12:45:03 AM »
Rounded up some images of what is stamped on some Holley Carburetor Choke Towers.
Interesting to see ETCHED numbers on early versions of both the List 4210 and List 4584.
Holley seemed to be fast and furious with innovations during that 1965 to 1969 time period.
The 1965 Z-16 Chevelle List 3310 and other '65 Chevys had
the 1st Dual Line Center Inlet Fuel Bowls
as far as I can tell with research done to this point.

May I ask, does anyone have, would someone post, clear pictures of
an original un-restored Holley List 4210 Stamped Carb Choke Tower, and
an original un-restored Holley List 4295 Stamped Carb Choke Tower with a 1968 Date Code ?

Another subtle difference between List 4210 and List 4295 Holley Carburetors was
both had Roller and Slot BellCranks, but the List 4210 had a "constant radius" Slot,
where the List 4295 had a "W" shaped Slot, so 1:1 4210 versus Progressive 4295 ?

BRG Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2018, 11:38:02 AM »
When did the switch take place from 4210 to 4295? I have a 7/68 4210

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2018, 05:59:56 PM »
Using GMPartsWiki, there is a GM Catalog that says it is from October 1968 at the top of the pages
but on the bottom left of the pages it says Rev. 7-1-69... so less than "definitive"... but...
it does list BOTH the 4210 (1st Design) and the 4295 (2nd Design) CrossRam Carburetors...
So maybe by at least Sep-Oct 1968 the 4295 Carburetors were "in the system"... ?
It would be nice to know for sure just when the 4295 Carburetors where phased in,
and guess the GM change to 4295's is what makes 4210 Carburetors so rare maybe.

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=218307

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2018, 01:51:42 AM »
I don't think you're ever going to find a "hard" date for when the 4295 replaced the 4210 carb but it would have been sometime during the summer months of '68.

I don't have a collection of photos showing 4210 and 4295 choke tower numbers so I personally can't help with that but maybe someone else here can. Some of the pictures above show numbers altered with an electric engraver. I would not call that etched, and there is no telling who altered those numbers. Maybe I'm wrong but that does not seem like something Holley would have done.

You are correct that there is an error with the '68 cross ram carb listing for '68 on our carburetor page and I will get that fixed when an opportunity presents itself. The 3810 is thought to have been a developmental carburetor while the manifold was undergoing initial development.  There would not have been a cross ram unit that left GM for public consumption with a pair of these 3810 carbs on it, in my opinion.

The '68 cross ram carbs should read...
302/290 (2X4) 3941140 (early) Holley # 4210
302/290 (2X4) 3957859 (later) Holley # 4295

You're also right about the 3942595 part number being incorrectly types for the carburetor when it was one of the fuel pipes so that is another thing for me to fix. I appreciate your help so that I can put correct information out there.

I don't believe the 4295 is the first Holley double pumper as I remember talking with GM engineer Bill Howell (part of Vince Piggins' Product Promotion Group) and he told me years ago that he was testing an 800 double pumper carb on the Penske Camaro right after the '67 Trans-Am season finished. This was before the cross ram was available and was in the Oct-Nov 1967 timeframe.  I just asked him again a couple of days ago about cross ram carburetors and double pumpers and here is his reply..."As a test engineer in the lab, I had no release responsibilities, so I did not keep track of part numbers and minor differences in many new parts being considered for release.  By the time the 2x4 package was released for production, I was in Vince's group, so I had limited interest in those details.  I knew the carbs were 600 cfm, and their double pumper characteristics.  In their production layout, they were difficult to work with, so we reversed end for end the float bowls to get the fuel fittings outboard.  This also increased the difficulty in setting the fuel levels, as in production, they were different front to rear. I would have to adjust the fuel to the bottom of the sight plug, and then raise or lower it to the correct recommended level after reinstalling the sight plugs.  Your recollection that the Marlboro test in 1967 probably involved a double pumper 800 cfm is correct in my memory (tho I have no written record for reference).  It amazes me how accurate my memory of the 1960's is compared to the 1980's.  I guess that speaks to the level of excitement I was experiencing during those times.  I hope the above information is of benefit for your research."
Jon Mello
CRG

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2018, 06:18:19 PM »
Agree that the "Engraver" marked carbs look something other than "legitimate"...
but when I saw pics of early claimed original Hurst S/S AMX CrossRam 4584 Carbs
and pictures of early claimed original Chevrolet 302 CrossRam 4210 Carbs both marked the
same way with an Engraver it made me wonder if that's what Holley may have done in '68.
At least on very early "needed now for sanctioned racing teams" at the beginning of the season where
the winter off-season R&D ran a little long leaving little time for "production versions" of those carbs.

Wonder if the 800 Double Pumper was a one-off 302 CR "R&D" Carb not produced and sold?
Or maybe if they were a pair of the short-lived Holley List 4223 850 cfm Center Squirter Carbs?

Find it very interesting where one can see the progression in the 3 carbs used on the 302 CR,
from Single Line Vac Sec, to Dual Line Center Hung Mech Sec Single Squirter, to Dual Line Double Pumper.

It's just a curiosity, specifics of 3 Holley 1st...

Holley List 1272 = ? 1st Modular Model 4150, 1957 ? debuted on a Ford
Holley List 1850 = ? 1st 600 cfm Vac Sec Modular Model 4150, also 1957 ? Ford 312
Holley List 3310 = ? 1st Holley Dual Line, 1965 Z-16 ( one of a few List #'s debuted on Chevy's in '65 )
Holley List 4295 = ? 1st Holley Double Pumper, 1968 302 CrossRam

Surprised have been unable to find those Holley "firsts" already specifically documented...
Amazed two of them are still going strong as the most popular Universal Carbs, the 1850 & 3310...

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2018, 03:13:25 AM »
Might be worth talking to somebody at Holley for their opinion on the engraver markings but with this many years gone by, nobody there might be "in the know".
Jon Mello
CRG

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2018, 08:43:47 PM »
Past Holley contact attempts failed to turn up knowledgeable "old timers".
They "sent me" to Holman-Moody and Daytona Performance for "History" questions.

Interesting, in practice Bill Howell says they reversed the
production Cross Ram Carbs Fuel Bowls for outboard Fuel Lines
making Float Level setting more "complex" but the overall set-up
easier to work with than production "compact all central" layout.

Seems maybe Holley Center Squirter Carbs were developed prior to
Double Pumpers, "implied" by possibly a numerical order application
of Holley Carburetor List Numbers...
List 4223 being an 850? Center Squirter & List 4224 being a 660,
whereas the later Cross Ram Double Pumper Carbs are Holley List 4295.

Came across a post of yours in the "Traco Fans" thread, page 11, post 160,
with a pic of Bill Howell & Mark Donohue at Marlboro Raceway testing tires
and "the new Holley Double Pumper Carb", after the '67 TA Season,
maybe in Dec '67, as mentioned in your previous reply posted here.
From it I see where my previous post incorrectly asks about possibly a "pair"
of Center Squirters being tested then, when it was a single Carb Intake Test.

Any chance maybe the ~Dec '67 Single Carb Marborol Test was a Center Squirter ?

BRG Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2018, 09:14:39 PM »
Most of the 4210 I have seen, the air horn have been drilled for center squirters. I assume this was never done by Holley.... Were the center squirters a Holley acceccery? If not who made the Holley center squirters?

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2018, 11:16:32 PM »
Yes, have seen "modified" List 4210 Holley Single Squirter Mechanical Secondary Carbs
with aftermarket "custom" Squirters with extra "tubes" that reach back to the secondary side.
see pics ( one modified 4210 pic i think is from elsewhere in this thread iirc ),last pic is a 4223 850 Ctr Squirter

Due a Google Search for Holley 4224, it's still made and available as I understand, it is a 660 CFM Center Squirter.  The 850 CFM Holley List 4223 lasted only 1 or 2 years and was then discontinued.  Can also google search it for pictures.  They have a single 4-Tube Center Mounted Pump Shooter that is located where the Air Cleaner Stud usually screw in, then there is a separate "special crossover" Air Cleaner Stud "Plate" that mounts across over top of the single 4-Tube central Squirter that sprays into all 4 Throttle Bores at once.

The Linkage for Center Squirters is the Slot & Follower Type and 1:1
The 1st Design List 4210 linkage is also the same way.
the 2nd Design List 4295 linkage is Slot & follower, but "Staged",
not 1:1, and the first true "Double Pumper".
The Center Squirters, List 4223 850 CFM, and List 4224 660 CFM,
are "Single Pumpers" but have the single centrally mounted Squirter
with 4 Discharge Tubes and squirt into all 4 Venturis at the same time.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 02:09:09 AM by Jon Mello »

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2018, 11:20:47 PM »
Or are you speaking of a 4210 modified like this pic I may have saved from earlier in this thread ?
Second vintage pic is a pair of List 4224 660 Center Squirters on an AMC Cross Ram.

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2018, 10:28:07 PM »
? The FIRST Holley Double Pumper Carburetor ?  ???

Further research unearthed a clue that as Jon Mello suggests the
Holley List 4295 GM # 3957859 2nd Design 302 Cross Ram may NOT be the first...
as he mentioned in the text accompanying the possibly Dec 1967 photograph of Bill Howell
and Mark Donohue testing a "Double Pumper" on the Trans Am Camaro at Marlboro Raceway...

GM # 3955205 Holley List 4296 is the 800 CFM (per GM SS Special HD Catalog)
Double Pumper from the '69 ZL-1 Camaro and I think the 1968 L-88 Corvette 427 ?

... Need more research, the same GM SS Special HD Catalog page 37 for 396-427-454 says:
"The stock 1 x 4 Barrel Carburetor on the large block Heavy Duty Engines
was the 850 CFM Holley with throttle bore of 1.75"."

Yet fails to provide GM No., holley List No. or if a Double Pumper...  ???

Notice that the L-88 Holley List Number is "Later / Higher" than the CR 302, but buy only 1 digit !
Yet the L-88 List 4296 800 DP GM Part No. is "Earlier / Lower" than the List 4295... hmmm...

? Anyone have information on what OEM Carburetors were used on the 1967-68-69 L-88's ?
Appears the Stock L-88 Carburetor may be an 850 CFM Double Pumper,
but have yet to find Part or List Numbers and one with 1967 or 1968 Date Codes...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:04:29 PM by PHAT69AMX »

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2018, 03:12:38 AM »
I have not researched carburetors on your level so it will have to be someone else to come to the rescue.
Jon Mello
CRG

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2018, 06:00:11 PM »
Ok, Thank You, I put this in the Cross Ram thread since maybe it had the 1st Holley Double Pumper.

Holley List 4295   GM # 3957859 = Double Pumper = 1968 302 Cross Ram, 2nd Design

Holley List 4296   GM # 3955205 = Double Pumper = 1968 L-88 2nd Design, and 1969 ZL-1 427
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 06:43:23 PM by PHAT69AMX »

BRG Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2018, 11:13:49 PM »
I feel lucky I was able or find two 4210 matching date carbs in the last couple of months. Is there any trick to get these carbs to run good? Everything I have read, they have a big “bog” when the secondaries kick in. I know they will not rever run as well as my 4295’s but is there any recommendation or “tricks” to get the maximum performance and drivability out of the? Thank you,

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2018, 10:31:17 PM »
Congrats on the "nice find"  8) ...
? Intend to post up a bunch of nice sharp pictures of those 4210 Carbs ?

Only from looking at vintage information, NOT from real world experience,
and something I'd NOT do to the original 4210 Base Plates...
but would do to a pair of 2nd correct replacements,
or even better fit replacements with the later "W" Slot & Roller Linkage, ? Progressive,
where the 4210 is a "Constant Radius" Slot & Roller Linkage, ? 1:1.

The "Constant Radius" can be seen Modified in vintage pictures
by grinding an "Entry Flat" at the 1st part of Slot's Front Edge,
or even fitting with a small Adjustable Plate.
This delays Secondary Opening improving non-bog chances when they open.

Understanding is for those 4210 Type Single Pumper Mechanical Secondary Carbs
the Secondary Main Air Bleeds should / must / are / will be Very Small...
So the Secondary Boosters come on real quick, and probably drip otherwise...
tough on mid-range drive-ability but is what makes that arrangement have a chance of working... imho

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2018, 09:55:12 PM »
Thank You BRG Z28 for these pictures of a pair of 1:1 Slot & Roller Mechanical Secondary Single Squirter
1968 302 Cross Ram 1st Design GM # 3941140 Holley List 4210 Carburetors with
"875" July, 5th Week, 1968 Date Codes, # 4743 and # 5806 Metering Blocks...
? 5th Week July 1968 Date Code any "clue" to when the 2nd Design List 4295 Carbs were Phased In ?...

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2018, 10:13:30 PM »
Wayne Guinn's book "Camaro Untold Secrets", which you might find an interesting read, says...

Holley 3810 (which he states is p/n 3941140) was specified for use approximately Nov '67
Holley 4210 (which he states is p/n 3942595) was specified for use approximately Mar '68
Holley 4295 (which he states is p/n 3957859) was specified for use approximately May '68
Jon Mello
CRG

BRG Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2018, 02:02:14 AM »
Jon, the 4210’s that were just posted June of 1968.

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2018, 02:23:47 AM »
Wow, using Google some places want $190 + for that book... wow... maybe can find it at the Library...
But, ah, it is a source of the Carb info that appears to contain errors maybe...
A few post back it was discussed, a Fuel Pipe Part Number found it's way in there somehow...
Yeah, who's to say how long Holley kept crankin' out 1st Design 4210's, to use up parts produced maybe?
Or maybe the was a minimum quantity ordered requirement by Holley for Chevrolet... or even SCCA...

Anyone have say a 1971 or so Holley Catalog ?  To look up the 4210 & 4295 Specs
in the Numerical Listing, mainly orig Squirter Size(s), Jets, Power Valves, Venturi & Throttle Dims...
Pretty sure both have all (4) 1-9/16" Throttle Dia 1-1/4" Dia Pri Venturi and 1-5/16" Dia Sec Venturi.

1988 is the oldest Holley Catalog I have and both 4210 & 4295 are absent from the Numerical Listing in the back...

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2018, 03:24:13 AM »
The 4210s above appear to be dated 5th week of July '68.

Sorry, I do not have any Holley catalogs but maybe someone else can help.
Jon Mello
CRG

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2018, 10:20:51 PM »
BRG Z28 - re-reading my previous post it is kinda a little unclear...

For your 4210 Carbs, I would consider getting another Pair of just Throttle Plate Assemblies with the
Staged or Progressive "W" Shaped Slot & Roller Bellcrank like on the 2nd Design 4295 Carbs
instead of the stock 4210 1:1 "Constant Radius" Bellcrank,
and save and leave your stock 4210 Bases unmodified.
But finding Throttle Plates with the "W" Bellcrank AND all 4 Butterflies in 1-9/16" Dia. may be difficult.
Vendors do sell only the SHAFT Assemblies with the "W" Slot Bellcrank, but for 1-11/16" Dia Butterflies.
As for getting Only Shaft Assemblies, understanding is a Throttle Plate from any ol' Holley List 1850
would be a workable Throttle Plate with 1-9/16" Dia. Throttles, but the Shaft End Pieces / Bellcrank
would need to be changed out for the "W" Slot and Roller Shaft End Pieces / Bellcrank Linkage.
But the swagged on Shaft Ends would have to removed from the purchased Shafts for 1-11/16" 'Flies,
the standard shaft ends removed from the 1850 Base Plate shafts, and the Staged "W" Slot and Roller
shaft end pieces attached / welded onto the 1850 Shafts which are for 1-9/16" Dia. Throttle Plates.
Unless, someone like Daytona Performance or Braswell Carburetion would make some up for you.
Clear as mud, right ?  ;D

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2018, 04:52:02 AM »
Quote from: PHAT69AMX

[size=12pt
Anyone have say a 1971 or so Holley Catalog ?[/size]  To look up the 4210 & 4295 Specs
in the Numerical Listing, mainly orig Squirter Size(s), Jets, Power Valves, Venturi & Throttle Dims...
Pretty sure both have all (4) 1-9/16" Throttle Dia 1-1/4" Dia Pri Venturi and 1-5/16" Dia Sec Venturi.

1988 is the oldest Holley Catalog I have and both 4210 & 4295 are absent from the Numerical Listing in the back...

This is from the 1975 Holley Catalog:
https://s1223.photobucket.com/user/1969Muscle/media/IMG_1787-2_zpsrpnwphmh.jpg.html][/URL]
http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/1969Muscle/media/IMG_1786_zpsgkid3cxg.jpg.html][/URL]

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2019, 04:48:25 AM »

For your 4210 Carbs, I would consider getting another Pair of just Throttle Plate Assemblies with the
Staged or Progressive "W" Shaped Slot & Roller Bellcrank like on the 2nd Design 4295 Carbs
But finding Throttle Plates with the "W" Bellcrank AND all 4 Butterflies in 1-9/16" Dia. may be difficult.
Vendors do sell only the SHAFT Assemblies with the "W" Slot Bellcrank, but for 1-11/16" Dia Butterflies.
As for getting Only Shaft Assemblies, understanding is a Throttle Plate from any ol' Holley List 1850
would be a workable Throttle Plate with 1-9/16" Dia. Throttles, but the Shaft End Pieces / Bellcrank
would need to be changed out for the "W" Slot and Roller Shaft End Pieces / Bellcrank Linkage.
But the swagged on Shaft Ends would have to removed from the purchased Shafts for 1-11/16" 'Flies,
the standard shaft ends removed from the 1850 Base Plate shafts, and the Staged "W" Slot and Roller
shaft end pieces attached / welded onto the 1850 Shafts which are for 1-9/16" Dia. Throttle Plates.
Unless, someone like Daytona Performance or Braswell Carburetion would make some up for you.

Do you have a picture of the "W" cam on the 4210?
John

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2019, 12:34:35 PM »

Do you have a picture of the "W" cam on the 4210?
John

Correction the "W" slot on the 4295.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2019, 12:47:36 PM »
Here you go...

Frank Dihartce photo
Jon Mello
CRG

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2019, 04:46:58 PM »
Here you go...

Frank Dihartce photo

Thank you,
Do you know if that cam has three steps on the action? The first step would be primary actuation only, the second step would slowly bring the secondary butterflies along with the primaries open, followed by a third step that would be the change visible in the picture that would rapidly finishing opening both sets of butterflies. Do you know if that describes the action?
John

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2019, 12:55:42 AM »
No, it does not have three distinct steps.
Jon Mello
CRG

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2019, 04:04:25 PM »
No, it does not have three distinct steps.

Jon,
Thank you.
John
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 04:57:16 PM by JohnSlack »

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2019, 04:23:24 PM »
Here you go...

Frank Dihartce photo

Thank you,
Do you know if that cam has three steps on the action? The first step would be primary actuation only, the second step would slowly bring the secondary butterflies along with the primaries open, followed by a third step that would be the change visible in the picture that would rapidly finishing opening both sets of butterflies. Do you know if that describes the action?
John

Hey John,
Are you thinking this type of carb linkage for the 'unicorn' intake?
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2019, 04:55:29 PM »
Here you go...

Frank Dihartce photo

Thank you,
John

Hey John,
Are you thinking this type of carb linkage for the 'unicorn' intake?

No the carburetors on that intake are in line with each other. The Crossram linkage layout is absolutely not useable in that configuration. I was reading with interest on this site the development between the List 4210 and the list 4295 carburetors. As a result I asked about the cam slot timing on the 4295. With Jon's picture I can see a defined two step shape on the cam slot, my two carburetors have a definite three step cam slot. The cam slot on mine is not someone's regrind but a Holley part made that way for the 302 Tunnelport engine racing program. I was just wanting to compare and Jon kindly helped me out.
John

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2019, 08:51:57 PM »
? Possibly post a pic of the 3-Step style for reference ?
I do not have real parts or carbs on hand, just past Holley experience.
? 1st Design 4210 had "1:1" basically constant radius slot, except a slight primary tip-in ?
? 2nd Design 4295 2-Step "W" Slot is a "staged" design, primaries 1st x degrees, then secondaries ?
I myself have not seen a 3-Step, would be interesting to see.
My grandiose ideas, lol, "I'll make a nice 3D Model animation of the 3 styles"... LOL 

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2019, 09:19:30 PM »
? 1st Design 4210 had "1:1" basically constant radius slot, except a slight primary tip-in ?
? 2nd Design 4295 2-Step "W" Slot is a "staged" design, primaries 1st x degrees, then secondaries ?
My grandiose ideas, lol, "I'll make a nice 3D Model animation of the 3 styles"... LOL

I just took a nice picture of the 3 step cam yesterday. It was too large to attach here, so I'll resize it and post it here.
John

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2019, 12:25:00 AM »
John, what is the Holley LIST # for your Tunnelport carburetor(s)?

If you have trouble posting the pic let me know and I can help.
Jon Mello
CRG

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2019, 01:19:22 AM »
John, what is the Holley LIST # for your Tunnelport carburetor(s)?

If you have trouble posting the pic let me know and I can help.

It is not a Holley list # carburetor, it is one of the special carburetors that FoMoCo had Holley make for the 302 Tunnelport engine program, as such it is a race only item. I have done a lot of searching on the internet and you guys were the only source I had seen of a good picture of the 2 step cam. (Thanks to you Jon.) I had been wondering about the cam on the 4295 and now I know that. But I feel it's only fair to share my side of the story, even if it is Brand X Blue. You guys seem really open to looking at both sides of the story of what was going on with T/A.
John

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2019, 02:59:42 AM »
Good info, John.  Yes, we are really open to learning about all sides on this forum because that paints a whole picture and not just a single facet.
Jon Mello
CRG

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2019, 06:49:11 PM »
Am I seeing things ?...
Looks to me like that maybe the GM Mold Maker got things turned around out of place ?...
See picture, on the left is the claimed prototype Crossram that Bill Howell laid "wet flow guide ridges" in
using strips of solder and epoxy as one of the final stages of development to equalize exhaust gas temperatures.
Pictured on the right is the plenum floor of a production GM Crossram...  ?  notice the difference ?...
The plenum floor "wet flow guide ridge" pattern is not symmetrical left-to-right or front-to-back, and...
it appears the Mold Maker got it incorrectly turned around backwards when modifying the production mold ?...
Or am I seeing things ?....

And it looks like Offenhauser took the "safe route" and made the "wet flow guide ridge" pattern symmetrical...
And Edelbrock left out the plenum floor "wet flow guide ridge" pattern all together.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2019, 05:35:33 PM »
Yes, the factory did make a mistake which they corrected.
Jon Mello
CRG

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2019, 06:17:17 PM »
Jon,
It appears the Edelbrock Cross-Ram would be the better performer, as I see it. However, I have zero experience with a Chevy Cross-Ram intake. I DO have experience with the Boss 302 'Cross-Boss' Cross-Ram intake, and Inline carb. That said, the smoother runners, and less restriction will run better, no doubt. The 'bumps' on the inside will lead to fuel puddling, and can quite possibly make cylinder to cylinder air/fuel distribution non consistent aka some cylinders will run lean, while some may run rich. Yes, its a passionate and timely hobby with determination to make these things run.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

TangoBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2019, 06:40:04 PM »
The runners on the bottom of the manifolds were to direct fuel toward cylinders that were running leaner. The fuel comes out of suspension easily and form rivers that puddle and trickle down the long runner tubes. The channels were an attempt to even the fuel mixture on cylinders that tended to run lean and guide it away from the rich ones. Chevrolet engineering and folks like Smokey Yunick found this out and re-routed the fuel to try to improve things. Smokey even built a clear top to view when revved up full song on a dynamometer when he was investigating this. Hope he was wearing some Kevlar where it counted!

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2019, 08:48:47 PM »
The runners on the bottom of the manifolds were to direct fuel toward cylinders that were running leaner. The fuel comes out of suspension easily and form rivers that puddle and trickle down the long runner tubes. The channels were an attempt to even the fuel mixture on cylinders that tended to run lean and guide it away from the rich ones. Chevrolet engineering and folks like Smokey Yunick found this out and re-routed the fuel to try to improve things. Smokey even built a clear top to view when revved up full song on a dynamometer when he was investigating this. Hope he was wearing some Kevlar where it counted!

Correct. On my intake, using a not so scientific approach when it was off the engine, and the lid removed I would use a garden hose to 'see' where the water would go. As I mentioned, some cylinders ran lean, some ran rich. Removing the 'bumps' and 'dividers', and filling some areas with Devcon made all the difference in the world! Remember, this was a trial and error effort. Once I hit the sweet spot, the engine ran smoother, revved quicker, and most important, cylinder to cylinder distribution was optimized. Granted this was on a Boss 302 engine, not a small block Chevy. However, the 'theory' of air/fuel filling each cylinder equally as possible works the same on any engine.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2019, 09:53:59 PM »
I am no expert, just doing research, and some things I find, or come across, or see surprise me.
So I ask the community and look forward to the discussion and can only hope to learn more.
No intention to stir things up or dispute...  only discussing...
It is my hope to gather and share some more information about this topic.

Yes, research and direct communication resulted in findings that the plenum floor "wet flow ridges" made out of strips of solder and epoxy as seen in the Prototype version pictured above were done at GM by GM Engineering to equalize "wet flow" distribution, Exhaust Gas Temperatures, and equalize all 8 cylinders on the dyno, so they were found to be needed to accomplish that.

So... the production casting flow ridges are incorrectly oriented, since they are non-symmetrical, when compared to the solder strip / epoxy prototype...  or at least it appears that way to me.  And since the production casting flow ridges are incorrectly oriented compared to those in the prototype then the production version would NOT result in equalized cylinder distribution or at least as it would seem...

I would think the Edelbrock version would be "inferior" since it contains now "wet flow equalized distribution management ridges" ?...  where GM Engineering found that they were needed and incorporated them.

I've yet to find online a picture of a production casting with the wet flow ridges oriented like those solder/epoxy ones shown in the pictured prototype.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 10:49:26 PM by PHAT69AMX »

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2019, 11:38:16 PM »
I am no expert, just doing research, and some things I find, or come across, or see surprise me.
So I ask the community and look forward to the discussion and can only hope to learn more.
No intention to stir things up or dispute...  only discussing...
It is my hope to gather and share some more information about this topic.

Yes, research and direct communication resulted in findings that the plenum floor "wet flow ridges" made out of strips of solder and epoxy as seen in the Prototype version pictured above were done at GM by GM Engineering to equalize "wet flow" distribution, Exhaust Gas Temperatures, and equalize all 8 cylinders on the dyno, so they were found to be needed to accomplish that.

So... the production casting flow ridges are incorrectly oriented, since they are non-symmetrical, when compared to the solder strip / epoxy prototype...  or at least it appears that way to me.  And since the production casting flow ridges are incorrectly oriented compared to those in the prototype then the production version would NOT result in equalized cylinder distribution or at least as it would seem...

I would think the Edelbrock version would be "inferior" since it contains now "wet flow equalized distribution management ridges" ?...  where GM Engineering found that they were needed and incorporated them.

I've yet to find online a picture of a production casting with the wet flow ridges oriented like those solder/epoxy ones shown in the pictured prototype.

Phat-
Like yourself, I am no expert on Chevy's Cross-Ram design. Just like I am no expert on a Chrysler 'Rat-Roaster' Cross-Ram. What worked for me on the Boss 302, was by my own 'learning tricks'. Every intake is different, so as the old saying goes: "What works for me, may not for you". My only assertion would be what DID work for the Chevy racers (like Tom McIntyre's) intake. Obviously, Smokey was keen on making odd ball stuff work, and a genius. That said, Chevy's small block canted valve prototype heads were really not much better in achieving the power they desired, yet Ford did have great success with their Boss 302/351 Cleveland designs. My point is not to say whom had a 'better' design, just what worked better on a given engine combo.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

TangoBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2019, 12:08:46 AM »
The distribution dams were a try-it and see how it works experiment. (These type of manifold distribution corrections were done well into the 1980's at some speed shops I am aware of. Fuel comes out of suspension and needs to be channeled to try to even cylinder a/f ratios!)The dams were done with epoxy and wire (reportedly) on a set of O-dash numbered experimental developmental manifolds (reported to be 4 or 5 of them) They were being sent back and forth and developed ASAP. There was tremendous pressure to get them done fast and some were raced in the developmental configuration. When they were casting the first early production pieces, an error was made configuring the dams in the molds and the dams were reversed front to rear-an apparent last minute lay-up under duress. And undid what they were trying to do. The error was quickly corrected and the regular production manifolds were cast correctly. Wayne Guinns Crossram guide, Mark Donohues "Unfair Advantage" and Smokey Yunicks wonderful autobiography have some great insights to what was going on.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 12:41:13 AM by TangoBravo »

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2019, 12:43:40 AM »
TangoBravo and others - might you be able to say if these Distribution Dams in this claimed 1967 casting prototype on the left in this picture from the previously posted 2018 Hemmings For Sale Ad are oriented the "correct" way or are they "reversed" ? 

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2019, 07:11:30 PM »
Boys,
FWIW, and sorry If I go off topic. Here is the Boss 302 'Cross-Boss' lower portion of the cross ram intake. IF you look you can see the 'bumps' I was referring to that are one of the offending problems in the design near the entry of the ports. Removing them and modifying some areas with Devcon made a world of difference. Im sure the Chevy racers did similar 'mods' to correct the flow on their intakes as well.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2020, 09:12:13 PM »
Found this Chevrolet document on GMPartsWiki for 1968.
In the brief Description on this page for the # 3940077 "Engine Conversion Kit", the CrossRam Kit,
it says "( use with 3953867 )"... Might someone know what GM Chevrolet Part Number 3953867 is ?
GMPartsWiki found no results for 3953867... The 3 illustrated Instruction Sheets are Part # 3953866...
Even search GMParts Wiki and failed to find the Part Number for the 6-Cyl Camaro Accelerator Pedal Assembly
that the Instruction Sheets show to use with the 2x4 Crossram Set Up, thinking it was maybe that.

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2020, 12:05:30 AM »
Well making the previous post worked like a charm....  :-[
Chevrolet Part Number 3953867 is for the "Air Cleaner and Plenum Unit"
with the Duct to the Firewall / Cowl, and appears at the top of page 4 of 4
of previously posted Parts List in the very thread...  :-[
But does not show up, is not listed in the Super Stock Heavy Duty Equipment 1971 Catalog  ???

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2020, 05:56:31 PM »
Wow, for sale on eBay Fri July 03, 2020, SBC GM CrossRam Intake & List 4295 Carburetors, Fuel Lines, etc
Claimed NOS 'in the crate' ?  May I ask, does it look legit ?  Just curious... eBay Item # 193534316733

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1969-Camaro-2x4-Crossram-Intake-NEW-Z28-68-69-Cross-Ram-RARE-PARTS-COMPLETE/193534316733?hash=item2d0f8b50bd:g:LpYAAOSweFhe81RS

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2020, 11:52:59 PM »
Says "new" in the ad, not NOS. Should say reproduction in the crate.

- Warren

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2020, 01:15:14 AM »
What might be the GM Part Number ? for the 6-Cylinder Accelerator Pedal Assembly, Gas Pedal Assembly,
that the Part Number 3940077 Crossram Instruction Sheets show to use with the 2x4 Crossram Set Up ?
The 6-Cylinder Gas Pedal Assembly is absent from the 3940077 Parts List, is it not ?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2020, 03:15:49 AM »
The gas pedal part number you are asking about is 3928326.
Jon Mello
CRG

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2020, 03:56:37 AM »
Thank You John Mello, it if was a snake, it would bit me  ;D

Has anyone ever seen a set-up like this on a CrossRam Intake ?

Anyone have the Instruction Sheets from an out-of-the-box Edelbrock SBC STR-10 CrossRam Intake Manifold?

Anyone have a 1971 Edelbrock Catalog?
If so, anything in there anywhere about Edelbrock Conversion Kit # 2562 ?

A May '68 Hot Rod Mag Article 'Short Stack To Go' is all about the Edelbrock Crossram on a SBC.
15 Dyno pulls making comparisons, with a HP Chart in the article.

For 'Street Use'... ( 2 ) lowly List 1850 600 CFM Vacuum Secondary Carbs...
BUT... 'upfitted' with ( 2 ) Larger Diameter 3-Barrel Vacuum Diaphragm Housings !

1850 600 CFM Main Body has same Venturi & Butterfly Diameters as 3810, 4210, 4295, 4584, 4776, etc
2x 1-1/4" + 2x 1-5/16 Venturi & 4x 1-9/16 'Flies

It is right there in the original Edelbrock AMC STR-11 Crassram Intake Manifold Instructions.
Pair of 1850's were down only 3 HP compared to pair of List 4224 660 Center Squirters !

456 HP vs 459 at 6k on a SBC 350 in the 'Short Stack To Go' Article Dyno Chart.
The Holley List 4224 660's are the same VENTURI as 1850, 3810, 4210. 4295, 4584, 4776,
BUT the 660's have 4x larger 1-11/16" Diameter Butterflies...  thus the additional 60 CFM.
A 660 Main Body is nothing more than an 1850 Body with a 1/16" 45 deg chamfer at the bottom.

Wonder what it says in the Chevrolet Version of the Edelbrock CrossRam Intake Manifold Instructions?

Anyone ever done or seen such a thing ?...
Black & White photoshop pic requires some modified Linkage, but looks really cool imho.

3-Barrel Pods and Parts are non-existent basically, but 3x2 can still be had.
3-Barrel Pods have a 4-Screw Lid, 3x2 Tri-Power Vacuum Diaphragm Pods have a 'better' 6-Screw Lid.T
They say all 3 types of Diaphragm Pods have the same 3-Screw to Main Body Mounting deal... I wonder...

The Throttle Shaft End Piece is different though for all 3 types, each one is it's own,
Standard Pod, 3-Barrel Pod (4-Screw Lid), and 3x2 Pod (6-Screw Lid),
each one has it's own Specific different Throttle Shaft End Piece afaik.

Larger Diaphragm Diameter, same vacuum signal, larger surface area, more opening force...

The fact that Holley used (2) Larger Diameter Vacuum Secondary Housings on the 3x2 Tri-Power set-ups
goes along with the 'idea' of also using them on (2) 1850 600 cfm 4-barrels on the crossram for the same reason, I guess.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 04:31:47 AM by PHAT69AMX »

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2020, 05:39:19 PM »
Here typed up as text is the information
from posted Holley Black Book images for the
Holley List 4210, 4295, & 4584 Carburetors
with the corresponding Part Numbers for each listed item
as found in the referenced Holley 34-1 Typical View.
Yet to determine the meaning of (ld), (llg), (llh), & (XIII) .015".
Did my best to be accurate and correct, but not guaranteed.
Please advise of any errors found, Thank You

4210 Holley List - 585 CFM 1:1 MECH SEC SINGLE PUMPER DUAL INLET
----
R-4210A, AAS (OBS.), T.V. 34-1 (Typical View)
1968 CAMARO, 302 ENG. 2 x 4 BBL.
(ld), (llg), (llh), (VI) No. 2 (Pump Cam Position), (XIII) .015".
Gasket 4-319, Renew  3-422, Master ?
( 12) 5R-155     THROTTLE STOP SCREW
( 27) 5R-635     THROTTLE PLATE SCREW - PRIMARY
( 28) 5R-635     THROTTLE PLATE SCREW - SECONDARY
( 33) 5R-682     PUMP CAM LOCK SCREW
( 34) 5R-691     FUEL PUMP COV. ASSY. SCR. & L. W.
( 61) 8R-1330    FLANGE GASKET
( 62) 9R-109     THROTTLE PLATE - PRIMARY
( 63) 9R-118     THROTTLE PLATE - SECONDARY
( 64) 12R-4089A  THROTTLE BODY & SHAFT ASSY
( 68) 16R-420A   FLOAT & HINGE ASSY - PRIMARY
( 69) 16R-420A   FLOAT & HINGE ASSY - SECONDARY
( 71) 17R-41     FLOAT LEVEL SHAFT
( 72) 6-82       FUEL INLET VALVE & SEAT ASSY ( 188P-135AS )
( 74) 19R-370    FUEL INLET FITTING
( 77) 21R-572-28 PUMP DISCHARGE NOZZLE
( 78) 22R-40-69  MAIN JET - PRIMARY ( 22BP-40-69 )
( 79) 22R-40-71  MAIN JET - SECONDARY ( 22BP-40-70 )
( 83) 6.5        POWER VALVE ASSY - PRIMARY ( 25R-591A-65AS )
(101) 34R-4743A  MAIN METERING BODY & PLUGS ASSY - PRIMARY
(102) 34R-5806A  MAIN METERING BODY & PLUGS ASSY - SECONDARY
(103) 85M-4036   FUEL PUMP COVER ASSY
(104) 34R-5058A  FUEL BOWL & PLUG ASSY - PRIMARY
(105) 34R-5753   FUEL BOWL & PLUG ASSY - SECONDARY
(120) 38R-782    PUMP LEVER ADJ. SCREW SPRING
(124) 38R-1216   FLOAT SPRING - PRIAMRY & SECONDARY
(135) 41R-218    PUMP CAM ( WHITE )
(165) 59R-37     METERING BODY VENT BAFFLE
(166) 59R-79?    FLOAT SHAFT RETAINER BRACKET
(168) 63R-782    DIAPHRAM LEVER ASSY ( SEC SHAFT END PIECE )
(169) 63R-740    PUMP OPERATING LEVER
(176) 37R-257    ? NOT IN LIST OF 34-1 TYPICAL VIEW DRAWING

======================================

4295 Holley List - 585 CFM PROGRESSIVE MECH SEC DOUBLE PUMPER DUAL INLET
----
R-4295A, AAS (OBS.) T.V. 34-1 (Typical View)
1969 CAMARO, 302 ENG. 2 x 4 BBL. Dual Pump
Gasket 4-226, Renew 3-488, Master 85R-3287
( 62) 9R-109     THROTTLE PLATE - PRIMARY
( 64) 12R-4247A  THROTTLE BODY & SHAFT ASSY
( 72) 6-71       FUEL INLET VALVE & SEAT ASSY ( 188P-135AS )
( 77) 21R-572-25 PUMP DISCHARGE NOZZLE
( 78) 22R-40-69  MAIN JET - PRIMARY ?
( 79) 22R-40-71  MAIN JET - SECONDARY ?
(101) 34R-5882A  MAIN METERING BODY & PLUGS ASSY - PRIMARY
(102) 34R-5885A  MAIN METERING BODY & PLUGS ASSY - SECONDARY
(104) 34R-5893A  FUEL BOWL & PLUG ASSY - PRIMARY
(105) 34R-5887A  FUEL BOWL & PLUG ASSY - SECONDARY
(118) 38R-569    PUMP DIAPHRAM RETURN SPRING ( 38R-1375 )
(166) 59R-79     FLOAT SHAFT RETAINER BRACKET
(168) 63R-822    DIAPHRAM LEVER ASSY ( SEC SHAFT END PIECE )
*(118).          ? PUMP DIAPHRAM RETURN SPRING ( 38R-1375 )

* = The following INDEX NUMBERS differ from the NUMERICAL LISTING SECTION.
( note from bottom of page of Holley Black Book )
=============================

4584 Holley List - 570 CFM 1:1 MECH SEC SINGLE PUMPER DUAL INLET
----
R-4584AAS (OBS.) T.V. (Typical View) 34-1
1970 HURST SUPER AMX. 390 ENG. CROSS RAM 2 x 4 BBL.
Gasket 4-319, Renew 3-422, Master ? (Black Diamond Symbol)
( 30) 5R-854     PUMP DISCHARGE NOZZLE SCREW
( 62) 9R-102     THROTTLE PLATE - PRIMARY
( 64) 12R-4089A  THROTTLE BODY & SHAFT ASSY
( 77) 21R-572-28 PUMP DISCHARGE NOZZLE
( 78) 22R-40-71  MAIN JET - PRIMARY ( 22BP-40-71 )
( 79) 22R-40-77  MAIN JET - SECONDARY ( 22BP-40-77 )
(101) 34R-4743A  MAIN METERING BODY & PLUGS ASSY - PRIMARY
(102) 34R-5806A  MAIN METERING BODY & PLUGS ASSY - SECONDARY
(104) 34R-5058A  FUEL BOWL & PLUG ASSY - PRIMARY
(105) 34R-5753   FUEL BOWL & PLUG ASSY - SECONDARY
(165) 57R-37     METERING BODY VENT BAFFLE
(166) 59R-79     FLOAT SHAFT RETAINER BRACKET
*(30).           ? PUMP DISCHARGE NOZZLE SCREW

* = The following INDEX NUMBERS differ from the NUMERICAL LISTING SECTION.
( note from bottom of page of Holley Black Book )
===========================

GMAD_Van Nuys

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2021, 06:11:44 PM »

Roybalgene

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2021, 02:14:55 AM »
Hello is it possible to talk to you about this cross ram I'm curious if you're up in Canada thank you oh, this is really important if you get a chance I'd appreciate it to talk to you

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2021, 10:59:12 PM »
I always enjoyed the humor of C&D writers when I read the magazine regularly.

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2021, 06:42:27 PM »
Hello, hope everyone is having a Wonderful 2021 Labor Day Weekend!
Thought no harm asking if anyone might have and be willing to share images of vintage original
1969-ish EDELBROCK # 2560 STR-10 SB Chevrolet Crossram Intake Manifold Instructions ???

These are images of 1969-ish EDELBROCK # 2570 STR-11 AMC Crossram Intake Manifold Instructions.

Very very curious just what the Edelbrock Chevrolet Instructions might have to say.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone happens to have and shares the SBC Edelbrock Instructions Version.

Peace.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2021, 12:35:43 AM »
I don't have Edelbrock instructions for the Edelbrock STR-10 for Chevy small block and have never seen them either.  Hopefully somebody else here has a copy and is willing to post it for us.  Thanks for posting the AMC version.  If you could edit them to be a little larger it would make it easier for some of us to read.
Jon Mello
CRG

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2021, 03:40:19 AM »
Better resolution images are too large file size, typed text :

( start page 1 of 2, 1968-9 INSTRUCTION SHEET FOR EDELBROCK STR-11 )

INSTRUCTION SHEET FOR EDELBROCK STR-11
(American Motors engines 290-, 343-, and 390)
AMC part # 2570  install kit # 2571
( ref, SBC STR-10 = part # 2560  & install kit # 2561)
REF - AMC instructions call for Edelbrock 2x4 # 2562 Conversion Kit...
? Does Edelbrock Chevy STR-10 Crossram vintage instructions ?
? ALSO call for the Edelbrock 2x4 # 2562 Conversion Kit ?

Carburetors
-----------

1. For 290-, 343-, and 390-inch engines (applicable to
         the 390 only where low rpm performance is required),
         we recommend use of the Holley #R-1850-AAS (same as
         1-14) which is rated at 600 cfm.  Conversion Kit
         (Edelbrock cat. no. 2562) includes all necessary
         change-over parts and must be used to prevent car-
         buretor flat-spots at the secondary opening point
         (due to manual opening characteristics).  Secondaries
         must be operated by vacuum, and this conversion kit supplies
         the pieces for this alteration.

Steps for the conversion are as follows:

a.  Remove stock vacuum secondaries and automatic
                 choke mechanisms from the sides of the carbu-
                 retors.

b. If you wish, this is a good time to remove
                both choke butterflies.

c.  Assemble and install the provided secondary
                 diaphragm unit in the same way the stock pieces
                 were removed.  If there is question concerning the
                 trueness of the diaphragm cover, dress it on a sur-
                 face topped with a sheet of grit paper and plunge
                 the cover in a bath of solvent before blowing it
                 out with air.  Make certain that there are no
                 leaks between the secondary lid and body follow-
                 ing diaphragm installation.  Also make sure
                 to provide a good seal between carb body and
                 diaphragm housing.

d.  Install #68 primary jets and 0.076-inch drilled
                 secondary plates.

e.  Set primary floats with a #10 drill bit
                 (0.195-inch o.d.) and secondary floates with
                 a #2 bit (0.220-inch o.d.).  These drill bits
                 are used as gauges by placing them between the
                 float and the float bowl chamber with the chamber
                 inverted.

( end page 1 of 2, 1968-9 INSTRUCTION SHEET FOR EDELBROCK STR-11 )

------

( start page 2 of 2, 1968-9 INSTRUCTION SHEET FOR EDELBROCK STR-11 )

cont'd.

2.  For 390-inch engines (not required to perform
          in low rpm ranges), use the Holley #S-4224 AAS
          which is rated at 660 cfm.  Stock jetting is
          adequate for initial running and secondary opening
          mechanism should remain manual.  Set float levels
          as per instructions for #R-1850-AAS

Manifold Installation
---------------------

Installation of the Edelbrock STR-11 is relatively simple.
      You should exercise caution to provide adequate head-to-
      manifold seal, and subsequent mixture contamination when the
      engine is returned to service.  Use new gaskets and seals
      in all areas and make certain that each throttle linkage
      member is free of binds and obstructions.

Fuel Pressure
-------------

This isavery important part of your manifold/carburetor
      assembly.  We suggest use of two Stewart-Warner fuel pumps
      (S-W #D-240-A) mounted in parallel with two separate fuel
      pickups from the fuel tank.  Use two 1/2-inch (i.d.) neo-
      prene fuel lines connected into a fuel block with two
      3/8-inch (i.d.) neoprene lines joining the carburetors.
      Fuel pressure should be a maximum of 7 psi at engine
      idle) and 5 psi (at top engine speed, in traps, etc.).
      We also recommend the use of a fuel pressure gauge
      mounted to facilitate easy reading at all times.  A lack
      of adequate fuel pressure can lead to a lack of overall
      engine performance.

Air Cleaners
-------------

For maximum performance from your new Tunnel Ram, we
      suggest use of the #EC-902P air cleaners.  These units
      are designed around use on the STR manifolding and
      normally provide adequate hood clearance.  In situations
      where large amounts of carb-to-hood clearance is avail-
      able, use of other types of cleaners is sometimes
      acceptable.  Additional air cleaner/throttle linkage
      information will be released immediately following avail-
      ability.  This data will be dispensed through your local
      Edelbrock dealer, and we suggest that you contact him in
      the near future if questions arise in your particular
      installation.

( end page 2 of 2, 1968-9 INSTRUCTION SHEET FOR EDELBROCK STR-11 )

---------------------
end of document - 08-03-2020 - CKusTomSS

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2021, 03:16:39 AM »
Thanks!
Jon Mello
CRG

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2021, 11:56:58 PM »
Second attempt for improved image quality, please advice if these are more legible, Peace

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2021, 12:34:54 AM »
Yes, those are better.  Thanks for going to the trouble.
Jon Mello
CRG

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2022, 10:47:31 PM »
A significant consideration is those Edelbrock AMC CrossRam Intake Instructions...
were written and done before the Double Pumper ever had existed yet...
Except for only a few well informed people I'd guess and those who noticed,
as for 3/4's to 2/3rds of 1968 GM was running double pumpers in TransAm & on the L88's, were they not?  And no one else had them, correct ?  They were a brand new idea in 2nd quarter '68, no?
So the above Edelbrock Instructions that talk about using a pair of modified List 1850's or a pair of List 4224 660's... it makes no mention of a pair of little 600 Double Pumpers BECAUSE THEY DID NOT EXIST YET!
Although, almost, kinda, like right at about the exact same time, ? April 1968...
GM developed and issued the 2nd Design 2x4 302 4295 "600 DP" Holley...
A CrossRam just loooooves a pair of small 600 double pumpers don't they?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2022, 02:29:13 PM »
I am not 100% sure but I think the earliest 4295 date I have seen is 891 which is the first week of September '68.  Maybe somebody else can chime in with an earlier date.
Jon Mello
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2022, 08:07:51 PM »
I just got confirmation from Wayne Guinn, he said you are correct Jon the earliest date is 891. 🙂
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2022, 04:07:47 PM »
Nice confirmation.  Thanks!
Jon Mello
CRG

TA COUPE

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2022, 10:45:14 AM »

John forgot to post a picture of the 3 step cam so I  will post the picture I sent him from before he bought the carbs from Rich Rodeck who restored the Follmer Mustang and a few others.

Roy

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2022, 01:58:18 AM »
Thank you, Roy!
Jon Mello
CRG

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2022, 06:27:24 PM »
Speaking of Cross-Rams, here is a very interesting rare piece:

1968 Olds 442 W-30

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2022, 09:48:27 PM »
The top picture is not a match for the other three.  Totally different base in the last three.
Jon Mello
CRG

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2022, 11:13:38 PM »
The top picture is not a match for the other three.  Totally different base in the last three.

Jon,
Excellent eyes! Yes, those are two different intakes..However, the only differences are on the water/thermostat (or lack of one) outlets. Essentially, there was a revision casting change between the two.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2022, 05:10:02 PM »

Jon,
Excellent eyes! Yes, those are two different intakes..However, the only differences are on the water/thermostat (or lack of one) outlets. Essentially, there was a revision casting change between the two.

Forgot to mention the front china wall was redesigned for the improved runners also.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

Coltdogg556

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2022, 06:18:26 AM »
I know I am late to the game, I just thought I would share a few pictures of my 68 Blip Top.  This puppy has been verified,  and documented by Wayne Guinn.
68 07C  Z28 UU, No Console,  No Tach with factory power steering. With 1968 Blip Top Cross Ram...

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2022, 11:04:09 PM »
I know I am late to the game, I just thought I would share a few pictures of my 68 Blip Top.  This puppy has been verified,  and documented by Wayne Guinn.

Nice piece, and its been verified!
The only thing that 'I' see that hinders performance, and flow are the 'blips'. This, among other designs are why the 1969 versions are different...or are they?
1968 Olds 442 W-30

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2022, 11:55:25 PM »
Looks good. Cross Boss the "blip" was not performance related, only ties into the detail of production time frames.

Coltdogg556

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2022, 05:33:56 AM »
Thanks guys. I know when I found this Xram,  I had to have it.  It is dated one month before my car. Now I got to find the Holleys to put on it. Lol
68 07C  Z28 UU, No Console,  No Tach with factory power steering. With 1968 Blip Top Cross Ram...

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2022, 05:44:24 AM »
The carbs can be even harder to locate than the Manifold. Tom Cudeyro has a knack for locating them though.

Coltdogg556

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2022, 02:22:44 PM »
Yes,  Tom is a good friend of mine. He was the one help me get this intake.

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2023, 03:42:40 AM »
Recently learned, the honorable Mr. William Bill Howell, passed away July 22, 2021

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2023, 03:42:23 PM »
Very sad news. Thanks for sharing.
Jon Mello
CRG

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2023, 11:00:53 PM »
Anyone seen this AMC V8 Traco 2x4 Intake Manifold before ?
Guess technically it would not be considered a crossram.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2023, 12:14:50 AM »
That's a new one to me. Meant to be used with which heads?
Jon Mello
CRG

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2023, 04:34:43 AM »
That's a new one to me. Meant to be used with which heads?

+2. Neat piece. And no, its not a Cross-Ram.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2023, 02:14:22 PM »

After some reflection, I would call this intake similar to a Bud Moore's 'Mini Plenum' This one could possibly work better(?). It's design is a small plenum, very short runner design. Kinda like a compact under the hood version of a tunnel ram. Would be interesting to see a dyno pull on this one...!
1968 Olds 442 W-30

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2023, 03:07:03 PM »

After some reflection, I would call this intake similar to a Bud Moore's 'Mini Plenum' This one could possibly work better(?). It's design is a small plenum, very short runner design. Kinda like a compact under the hood version of a tunnel ram. Would be interesting to see a dyno pull on this one...!

Also, as a consideration, switch the top cover for one fitted for an Autolite Inline carb...hmmm. That would be a neat conversation piece!
1968 Olds 442 W-30

BRG Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2023, 07:35:29 PM »
Does anyone have or know of an original crossram distributor splash shield?

PHAT69AMX

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2023, 11:41:47 PM »
Fits stock AMC heads, Traco was late to the game develping it for AMC for TransAm who then changed the rules back to a single 4-barrel, so the Traco AMC 2x4 Intake was shelved, unknown how few were produced, have info of two known pieces.  One was bought along with and on a used AMX in the 80's maybe not 10 miles from the Traco Culver City CA location, afaik.

Dangerkitty

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2023, 01:35:15 AM »
Anyone know if the stock GM cross ram air cleaners have the same carb stud spacing as the carbs on an Edelbrock STR 10 manifold? 
I have the STR 10 on my 68 Z/28 and was looking at replacing the homemade air cleaner with one of the reproduction OEM style air cleaners (or an OEM one if I can find/afford one).
I looked through the thread, and didn't see a reference to this.  Only found the recommended air cleaner in the STR 11 instruction sheet. 
Did a search for that number (#EC-902P) and it came up with an air filter for an air purifier system :-)
I like the home made air cleaner, but it's sort of like that scene in the Apollo 11 movie where they have to build an air filtration system out of available parts on the capsule...
Thank you.

"we have to make this, fit into the hole of this..."

For reference, I measured 10 3/4 inches from center/center for the studs.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 02:10:06 AM by Dangerkitty »
68 Z/28 (Protect-o-Plate)
302, STR-10 Edelbrock crossram
M22, Corvette 4 wheel disc brakes

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2023, 02:09:12 AM »
I just checked mine. Yes the measurement is the same.

Dangerkitty

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2023, 02:38:42 AM »
I just checked mine. Yes the measurement is the same.
Thank you!

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2023, 05:15:56 AM »
Gotta love the ingenuity.

Dangerkitty

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2023, 03:41:30 PM »
Gotta love the ingenuity.

Yes, it is certainly functional, and part of the history of the car.  I'll hold onto the homemade air cleaner, and keep it with the car.
I had one of the OEM crossram plenum air cleaners back in the 80's with my 68 Z/28 and would like to get one on this car someday.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2023, 06:19:36 AM »
Looks like the firewall opening may be challenging to retrofit an OEM style plenum duct. An easy hurdle to overcome.             

Dangerkitty

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2023, 04:42:26 PM »
Looks like the firewall opening may be challenging to retrofit an OEM style plenum duct. An easy hurdle to overcome.           

It may take some correcting using this -