Author Topic: For All of You That Want to Own A Trans Am Race Car  (Read 169436 times)

Sixteen Grand Sedan #56

• View Profile
Re: For All of You That Want to Own A Trans Am Race Car
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 06:58:43 AM »
There's one on Ebay too; with lots of detailed photos...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=250993328889&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Paul
[/quote

That car is a "tribute" as it states in the ad twice. It will get no closer than the spectator parking lot. ;D
Very sad that the seller tries to use Mr. Dick Guldstrand's name but can't spell it correctly. :'(
Robert Lodewyk

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 05:46:18 PM »
Just a heads-up as pointed out to me by Robert Barg. Ebay auction number 120917443936 has a '67 Camaro race car for sale. This car was given a Historic Trans-Am plaque many years ago and only the person who issued that plaque can explain why. The car never raced in Trans-Am in the 1972 and earlier era and as such is not eligible to race with other Historic Trans-Am cars at tracks on the West Coast like those at Laguna Seca and Sears Point. Do not bid on the car if you are hoping to run it in Historic Trans-Am on the West Coast. If you are wanting it to race in events run by other organizations such as VARA and SVRA, it seems as though it may be eligible for those. For those that care about such things, the VIN indicates it was originally a 6-cylinder car.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:44:56 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 03:31:40 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up Jon. It is a nice looking Camaro though and the restoration looks good. I guess the price reflects that it can't race in Historic Trans-Am. it'd possibly be double the 65K Buy Now price if it could, wouldn't it? 

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »
Steve, yes it would be at least double that price if it were eligible for Historic Trans-Am.
Jon Mello
CRG

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
Jon,
In regards to the Historic Trans-Am plaque I'm confused.  I too have seen these plaques in a couple of cars that I didn't believe should have them.  I thought you had to have PROOF before you were handed one?

Mike

wolfmin

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »
The 1980 calender picture in the ebay auction was taken at IRP.  Chip Boatwright (sp) was the driver when the picture was taken.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »
Jon,
In regards to the Historic Trans-Am plaque I'm confused.  I too have seen these plaques in a couple of cars that I didn't believe should have them.  I thought you had to have PROOF before you were handed one?

Mike

Yes, unfortunately there are some cars that got into the HTA Registry, especially in the early going, that really don't belong there (in the minds of many). Part of the wording on the registry certificate says that a car could be certified if it "..was a participant in SCCA Trans American Sedan Championship, A-Sedan, or FIA Group II sanctioned races during the years of 1966 through 1972." That is really where the conflict lies. The Registry plaque does not specify that detail in any way. It's confusing and unfortunate but that's the way it is. A car having an HTA Registry certificate and plaque is not automatically eligible for racing in the Historic Trans-Am group. The HTA Registry and the Historic Trans-Am racing group are two completely separate entities.
Jon Mello
CRG

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 12:56:32 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Jon.  I thought it was one group.

Camicia

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 12:18:45 PM »
Very understandable to make that assumption and in the early going they essentially were connected to one another. Now, that is not the case. Probably there should be a name change to differentiate one from the other but I don't see it happening.
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2012, 07:43:29 PM »
I have always been under the impression that the plaques were done by David Tom;  isn't he involved in the HTA group?   Keep in mind, most T/A fields were filled by A/S cars....there were only about a half dozen of the "factory" teams each year.   But I understand your point...

klvn8r

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2012, 07:54:23 PM »
Yes, the plaques and the registry itself are done by David Tom. At one time, he was involved with the Historic Trans-Am group but he hasn't been involved for a number of years now. The Historic Trans-Am racing group was set up to showcase the cars that did actually compete in the Trans-Am series from '66-'72, not the cars that could have but didn't. That's the difference.
Jon Mello
CRG

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2012, 02:56:50 PM »
Phelon Motorsports Auction 7-10-12
 Originally listed as a Dick Hoffman car, later only as:
     Lot Description:
1970 Chevy Camaro; Yellow; SVRA Historic Badge 6-0126; Historic Trans American Sedan Registry TA-022; SCCA Trans AM Brass Tag 79-258; Steel Head/Block 310 Cubic Inch Roller Cam; Holley 750 CFM Carburetor; 4 Speed Richmond T-10 Super Duty Transmission; 4:00 Rear Gear; Corvette Calipers Front and Rea

Bid to $48,000
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=1683&aid=54445&lid=13833507#topoflot

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2012, 06:02:05 PM »
I believe this is the 2nd Hoffman 70 T/A camaro built which he raced in 72.  I owned and raced the 1st 70 Hoffman T/A camaro in 80.  Last I heard, and that was some time ago, it was listed for sale with Dale Phelon Motorspots.  I have just learned that Dale Phelon is recently deceased and his race cars are being auctioned.

The above car would be a very reasonable price to pay to run with the west coast HTA group if it gets sold for near that bid price.

Robert Barg

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2012, 08:13:44 PM »
Robert,

This car is the first Hoffman car and thus the same one you owned in the 1980-1986 timeframe. This car was raced by Hoffman in 1971 at Edmonton, Donnybrooke and Michigan and John Greenwood had some involvement with this car.
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 08:43:30 PM »
Thanks for setting me straight on that. Yes, Dick told me that Greenwood had purchased a half interest in the car at some point, but not sure how long that lasted. They showed up at the Glen, were "tubed", and found to have a 350 ci engine and had to load it on the trailer - doubt that they were the only ones to try this!  So where is the 2nd car these days?

Robert Barg

anything