CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 07:23:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
103781 Posts in 12188 Topics by 4700 Members
Latest Member: lpetruc
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Model Specific Discussions
| |-+  Trans-Am Camaros
| | |-+  Fender Flaring On Trans-Am Camaros
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print
Author Topic: Fender Flaring On Trans-Am Camaros  (Read 524 times)
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 09:30:08 PM »

Steve, the Guldstrand car did not have flares like that back in the '60s. Those flares that you see on the car now were done when Bobby Joe McDonald restored the car in the late '80s. You were not really supposed to add or remove metal. You were supposed to reshape the wheel well with a hammer for extra clearance but the reality is that some people did add metal and reshape the wheel opening lip and they did not get hassled about it.

The fenders on Jon Ward's Camaro at Riverside in '68 are the same shape as when Titus drove it at Kent as a Firebird a month later. Much more radical than a stock fender but apparently the tech people had no problem with it.

Jon Mello
CRG
Steve Holmes

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 11:36:01 PM »

Wow, great pics Jon! I think thats the first time I've seen the Jon Ward Camaro as a Camaro. Very interesting. I assume when it was converted to a Firebird, they simply cut some Firebird 'gills' into the rear quarters rather than replace the whole rear quarter panel? Like you say, the fenders are just as they were when it became the Firebird.

This car still has similar fenders now with the upper lip cut away. Did the fenders remain this way throughout its life or was it restored this way for historical accuracy?

Jon, who raced the Guldstrand '67 Camaro after Guldstrand? Did he drive this car in '68? 

One more question. In the magazine Vintage Motorsport when they did the Trans-Am history series back in the mid-1990s, Bill Mayberry was interviewed about the first Penske Camaro. He said they "flared the fenders by rolling them with baseball bats". What did he mean by this? Did they simply roll a bat between the fender and tire to to press the fender lip out away from the tire?

Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 12:09:25 AM »

Wow, great pics Jon! I think thats the first time I've seen the Jon Ward Camaro as a Camaro. Very interesting. I assume when it was converted to a Firebird, they simply cut some Firebird 'gills' into the rear quarters rather than replace the whole rear quarter panel? Like you say, the fenders are just as they were when it became the Firebird.

Yes, Craig Fisher told me years ago that they added Firebird gills to the quarter panel.

This car still has similar fenders now with the upper lip cut away. Did the fenders remain this way throughout its life or was it restored this way for historical accuracy?

No, none of the fenders on the ex-Ward/Titus car today are what was on there back then. I saw the car before it was restored and so did a few others that I know.

Jon, who raced the Guldstrand '67 Camaro after Guldstrand? Did he drive this car in '68? 

Sam Coniglio out of Glendale, CA was the new owner when Dana Chevrolet sold the car after the '67 season. Guldstrand only drove it at the Riverside Trans-Am race during '68 as far as I know and it no longer had Dana sponsorship by then.

One more question. In the magazine Vintage Motorsport when they did the Trans-Am history series back in the mid-1990s, Bill Mayberry was interviewed about the first Penske Camaro. He said they "flared the fenders by rolling them with baseball bats". What did he mean by this? Did they simply roll a bat between the fender and tire to to press the fender lip out away from the tire?

Well, I wasn't there of course, but that would be my interpretation of what he said.

Jon Mello
CRG
group/7

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 01:44:24 PM »

great stuff as always jon ! I had come across a photo of that ward camaro, dated '68, somewhere on the net. had meant to ask about it, that was pretty radical for the time ! I thought the picture had the wrong date. thanks for the explanation of the rule bending.

mike....group/7
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: