Author Topic: For All of You That Want to Own A Trans Am Race Car  (Read 169408 times)

OCTARD

• View Profile
Re: For All of You That Want to Own A Trans Am Race Car
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2012, 03:38:34 AM »
Hello Robert,

Near the bottom of this page has some detail on the Peter Gregg Bud Moore Boss (Body-in-White #11971), and it's most recent time at auction.

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=58858.15

Wahoo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2012, 10:36:43 PM »
Just out of the paint room,  going to Sebring end of the month.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2012, 03:34:06 PM »
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to see it returning to it's original livery and I hope you are able to find some detailed enough pictures so you can get it done exactly as it was. Have a great time with it at Sebring.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2012, 06:02:08 AM »
I received some information on a '68 Camaro that has come up for sale. The claim is that this is
the '68 Z/28 Camaro that was driven by John Ware in the 1970 and 1971 Riverside Trans-Am
races and, from what I have been told, there is some documentation that comes with the car.
You will want to do your own homework to be certain the car is what it is claimed to be.

Update 10-19-12, the car has been sold to Craig Conley of the Historic Trans-Am group.
Update 1-5-13, the car has been sold to Karman Cusack.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:51:43 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

S A Dunbar

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2012, 03:03:28 AM »
The #28 Camaro was raced by Vincent Scavo at the 1980 and 1981 Road Atlanta Runoffs...  It finished 9th in 1980 and 18th (dnf) in 1981.

Thanks. Can you tell us who the driver of the car was when it was raced back in the '70s and early '80s?

"A real 1969 Z/28, Raced 1973-1981. SCCA A/S, Imsa 1978, GT-1 to 1981. Runoffs 80-81, Professionally restored, all period parts still on car.  Original builder / driver , crew chief from 79-81 available. Many photo's and documents included.
  SCCA roll bar number, original Vin tag on car.
Some spares, two extra sets of wheels, steel and whats on car. 302 dz block. orig parts...
  Sold as is, may cancel any time item for sale other locations."

Ebay seller: bob4parts   location: Fairfield County, CT

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2012, 04:30:20 PM »
Gary Morgan's '67 Z-28 race car is up for auction in this ebay ad (#281003581836)
This car is the 17th Z-28 built, a very early example.

The seller's ID is rkmotorscharlotte and more info is available at rkmotorscharlotte.com

Jon Mello
CRG

Pickle

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2012, 05:40:51 PM »
Just AS, no TA history right?  Beautiful restoration and very cool car.
Loud Pipes Save Lives

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2012, 07:05:48 PM »
It entered the Lime Rock Trans-Am in '67 but "did not start" (DNS) due to overheating issues and it ran in the '67 Mid-Ohio Trans-Am but "did not finish" (DNF) also due to overheating issues which fried a couple of pistons. After those two Trans-Am events, it stuck with A/Sedan.

Read all about Gary Morgan and his '67 Z-28 Camaro here.
Jon Mello
CRG

Pickle

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2012, 09:09:52 PM »
Would love to see it back on the track.
Loud Pipes Save Lives

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2012, 12:12:39 AM »
I agree. That would be great. So when are you buying it, John?  ;D
Jon Mello
CRG

Pickle

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2012, 02:56:44 AM »
I already have a perfectly good Camaro. 8)

It's a shame about the auto meter gauges & other modern pieces.  As pretty as she is and unless anything has changed since the last auction block crossing, it's a long way from being properly set up to vintage race.  I was a bidder but it went for more than I was wiling to pay for it.
Loud Pipes Save Lives

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2012, 03:33:37 AM »
Jon,

Besides salesmanship... any idea what this means?

"And the result is this 302 cubic inch mill which, in addition to being original to the car, is thought to be the last prototype 302 in existence and the only prototype 302 ever displayed to the public."

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »
Fred,

A large part of it is salesmanship. I have the original block for the Bud Gates '67 Z-28 race car which is also one of the first 25 Z-28s built so it is not the only early block in existence. Gary Morgan still had the original block in his possession but was asked if he would loan it out to the then current owner who wanted to display it with the car at a show (I forget which show off the top of my head). It was only on loan and yet was never returned to Gary. As you can imagine, Gary is still pretty upset about it. It might be the only very early block displayed to the public other than when the cars were new but is not the only one in existence. There is another very early block that exists but we are not certain yet if it belongs to one of the first 25 cars. By the way, these first 25 cars were not prototypes, nor pre-production. They should just be considered early production and that's it.
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2012, 04:12:40 AM »
Thanks Jon, that's what I was expecting. The use of prototype in general, and that the car is #17 so how could it be the last one really didn't make sense other than enthusiastic writing. I agree, I'd consider the first 25 early production models and the only prototype I know of would be 13M 640, although there may be another possibility. Sad to hear how Gary was taken on that deal. That's just a reminder that no good deed goes unpunished.

Fred

Steve Holmes

• View Profile
    • The Roaring Season
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2012, 08:17:20 PM »
Greenwood / Hoffman 1971 Camaro
Will be at Monterey 2013
Always looking for more pictures of my car,  raced 1971 TA series with Dick Hoffman driver.

Wow, I love the stars and stripes Greenwood paint scheme on the Camaro! I've never seen this car before, but always wondered how this colour scheme would look on a Camaro. Its fantastic!

anything