CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2014, 05:14:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
106593 Posts in 12427 Topics by 4790 Members
Latest Member: gmein
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Package Tray Paint
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Print
Author Topic: Package Tray Paint  (Read 7615 times)
paceme

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 09:31:57 PM »

Based on the unrestored original car I have inspected/certified, the finish on the package tray trim is a  suede finish like the dash.

Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles. Website www.vintagecertification.com
tmodel66

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 01:42:39 PM »

According to Larry Christensen the package tray area was suede from the factory.

Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 01:41:30 PM »

According to Larry Christensen the package tray area was suede from the factory.

Clearly, it varied somewhat - my untouched/original '69 has no trace of the "suede" texture anywhere around the back window and package tray area.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
william
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 02:36:53 PM »

Suede deteriorates over time; 40 years is a lot of it. I had rattle cans of it mixed locally and recall spraying a portion of the dash on a parts car. It was a perfect match-to the area under the dash pad. Exposed areas of the same surface were weathered and looked smoother.
big iron

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 12:51:32 PM »

Could you not take a picture of an original car survivor's dash, which is supposed to be suede, and rear garnish area and settle this issue? The pictures would have to be taken with the same light, natural preferred, and camera.
Both areas would have had the same exposure so any difference would indicate a difference in surface finish.
Bob
69Z28-RS

owner since '76

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »

What do you fellas mean by 'suede' paint?   Are you referring to a 'flat'  or 'semi-flat' finish?  with ie. low light reflection? 
I don't think I've ever heard the 'suede' term used previously (in 45 yrs or so) referring to automotive finishes.   Are there GM documents that use the suede term re '69 camaros??
I do recall when I purchased my '69 Camaro in '76, the first time I cleaned my rear glass on the inside, I *noticed* that the paint on the lower garnish moulding was more flat than anything I'd seen previously on a car I'd owned.   That same car has been sitting in my basement garage since 1980, and I don'[t recall 'cleaning' the inside of the back glass in that time..  if I have, it's only been once or twice.. Smiley    so it should still be close to the same.   I've pushed the car out a half dozen times in those 30+ year since to wash it on the outside.. and wiped it down on the inside maybe 2 or 3 times.   I can take a photo tonight if it would halp, but I can't guarantee the light level..?

Gary  / 69 Z28-RS

Gary W.  /  69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood all tint
69 Corvette convertible, silver/black 350 hp,
60 Corvette white/red, 72 Corvette coupe (2), 
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55 Nomad, '57 Nomad, '57 B/A Sedan
MyRed67

SZZLN 67

michael-l.campbell@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 02:35:08 PM »

OK, here's my thought.  If the trim around the package tray is painted suede, and I don't believe it was, where does it change over.  Because the upper side trim is not suede, it is same as Dash face.

1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois
Jon Mello
CRG Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 04:02:47 PM »

Agreed. It could absolutely not happen on a '67 due to the fact that the interior panels do not cover the upper area which gets painted. On a '68 or '69, the rear interior panel would cover the top painted area and theoretically some transition to suede paint texture could have been made under there. However, I'm of the belief that suede paint was only used on the upper dash, forward of the dash pad.

Jon Mello
CRG
tmodel66

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 04:29:58 PM »

Look at this paint chart. It says low gloss and gives the specific places to be painted. Then below it list "O" gloss and gives the specific areas. That's what I went by when I painted my car.  Hover over the writing and it will magnify so you can read it.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1969-chevrolet-pg02.jpg

Daniel  
Sauron327

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 04:49:01 PM »

What do you fellas mean by 'suede' paint?   Are you referring to a 'flat'  or 'semi-flat' finish?  with ie. low light reflection?  
If using PPG, it's accomplished by adding DX1999(texture additive) and flattening agent to the paint. You can also under reduce flattened paint, and use a dry spray technique to achieve a similar result.
big iron

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »

Most of the suede questions are coming from the 69 owners but 68 owners may have doubts as well.
An original 68 could have pictures taken as well to clear up any possible issues.
Suede is more than a flat color. I believe that when applied the finish is irregular, something like pebble Gran on interior parts, so the light does not reflect directly back onto the windshield. Something like the surfaces of our stealth bombers.
Bob
tmodel66

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 05:17:30 PM »

Most of the suede questions are coming from the 69 owners but 68 owners may have doubts as well.
An original 68 could have pictures taken as well to clear up any possible issues.
Suede is more than a flat color. I believe that when applied the finish is irregular, something like pebble Gran on interior parts, so the light does not reflect directly back onto the windshield. Something like the surfaces of our stealth bombers.
Bob

OK here's the '68 paint chart and has the same areas listed for different gloss.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1968-chevrolet-pg02.jpg

Daniel  
big iron

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »

Daniel,
Unfortunately the paint charts shown are generic for Chevrolet and do not cover specific models except for the 68 textured finish.
Being generic the charts only lead to confusion when trying to figure out what part and body style gets painted what % of gloss.
Looking at similar original car with the same approximate build date is the only way to hopefully know what is correct.
Bob
tmodel66

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 07:38:03 PM »

I guess I read too much into it. I figured it would have been across the board on run of the mill cars.

Daniel  
69Z28-RS

owner since '76

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 01:56:32 AM »

I checked my original car tonight; the garnish around / below the rear window is as I remembered..   flat, but not 'velvety' or 'suedy'..  (whatever that means), but it is flat enough that where it is touched it will leave 'shiny spots' which is a characteristic of very flat finishes.  I took photographs, but they are too large to post here, so I'll have to reduce resolution and size or retake the photo.

I would describe the finish as 'semi-flat black'....

Gary

Gary W.  /  69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood all tint
69 Corvette convertible, silver/black 350 hp,
60 Corvette white/red, 72 Corvette coupe (2), 
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55 Nomad, '57 Nomad, '57 B/A Sedan
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: