Author Topic: Package Tray Paint  (Read 28839 times)

Charley

• View Profile
Re: Package Tray Paint
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 11:46:27 PM »
Here are pics of my 9800 mile unrestored 6 cylinder car. It is a suede type finish that looks the same as the dash.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 11:54:37 PM »
I posted bigger pics on Yenko.net so you can see the finish better.   http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=482559&#Post482559

and another thread on the car to give you background on how orig it is.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=457136&page=1

-vellu

• Camaro 1969 (08C) Vantaa - Finland - Europe
    • View Profile
    • Camaro Club Finland
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2014, 07:55:45 PM »
Old topic, but I add my own work here.

Not Package Tray Paint, but maybe the same output. I used Eastwood Trunk Paint Aerosol. Just very thin single layer. (I tried this for the trunk, but it was not good enough for that purpose). The pattern is very low and therefore it did not fit to the trunk paint so good.

When it was dry, I painted basic matte black on top of it.

I think the result is acceptable. What do you guys think?

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2014, 08:30:19 PM »
mmm--mines been untouched and  appears low gloss, not flat by no means but non reflective. no texture. Actually a very smooth finish. Opinions may vary but been with this car 38 years and know the other owners.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2014, 09:13:39 PM »

Not Package Tray Paint, but maybe the same output. I used Eastwood Trunk Paint Aerosol. Just very thin single layer. (I tried this for the trunk, but it was not good enough for that purpose). The pattern is very low and therefore it did not fit to the trunk paint so good.

Too much texture. Use SEM Texture Coating, have your jobber mix up the paint using the code which has the correct texture additive, or duplicate using dry spray technique.

jims69

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2014, 01:44:29 AM »
My cousin's new 1969 SS never had suede on the rear window garnish moldings.   I remember it very well; we washed the car and the windows (inside and out) many times for rides in the car.   My 69 doesn't have it in the rear either; (its kind of a low gloss black)   or on the auxiliary speaker grill, and I've owned it for 38 years.

Some car's must have  received the suede treatment from  Charley's picture of his car.   It would be interesting to see someone research the subject.

Jim

-vellu

• Camaro 1969 (08C) Vantaa - Finland - Europe
    • View Profile
    • Camaro Club Finland
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2014, 06:41:29 AM »

Too much texture. Use SEM Texture Coating, have your jobber mix up the paint using the code which has the correct texture additive, or duplicate using dry spray technique.

You are right. I need to sand it and try SEM Texture Coating.

dlaflamme

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2014, 03:32:40 AM »
First off, hello - I'm a newb here.  I'm restoring my 68 RS/SS 350 matching numbers car I've owned for 25 years.  It's a Norwood car that lived its first 15 years or so in Pennsylvania, so unfortunately I'm having to replace a lot of body rot and other unsalvageable parts. I found this thread while I was looking for what to apply gloss/semi/dull/flat black paints to across the board (under hood, interior, etc)....still trying to find a comprehensive list of what parts over these cars have which finish of black.  Steve's Camaros has a list for under hood but I like to research CRG as a best source.  Not sure I trust Classic Industries' list with each finish they have, as it seems a bit flippant.

Related to this thread, thought I'd post two pics of my glovebox door, which I BELIEVE is unmolested.  Hope it helps someone with the suede discussion, which is a new finish name to me.  I'm not a paint guy, but will be bringing this door to my painter to match for the dashboard - which I've always known to be a smooth finish, a sort of semi dull, semi-gloss smooth black finish.  I have no proof this hasn't been repainted, but since I appear to have the original tire PSI sticker, I think it's original paint.  Hoping I can salvage the sticker, although I'm concerned about blue/green tape damaging it...maybe it's not such a big deal but it is the only original factory applied sticker and I'd prefer to keep it (assumption by its appearance and the fact it's in the glovebox where it's protected).

Someone said to take pics in different light, which I'm happy to do for anyone, while i still have it as it sits.  these are under run of the mill garage fluorescents, and I intended to try to show the lights reflecting from parts of it, thinking that might help?  Hope these can help someone on the topic of dashboard finish.

To my original reason for finding this thread....does anyone know of a list or thread that has a definitive listing of black finish for black parts?  RS headlamp door assembly, headlight cups, pedal assemblies, and all other parts that are painted any style of black?  I made the assumption there was a reference guide before I started sandblasting a lot of these things down to bare metal...car has been painted at least 3 times, so I had a lot of overspray to remove.  Kicking myself I didn't make better notes while I stare down the various types of OER paint I planned to use on some of these pieces!  It's not a concourse restoration, but since I'm going to bare metal on every piece, I do want to try to stay as true to the car's history as I can.

PS- the filesize limit is making me decrease the size.  PM me at dlaflamme@cox.net if you want the full size pic.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »
Another Suede sample for the discussion...
12C X66 Conv Header Drivers side has a heavy texture pass side overspray is only semi gloss or straight lacquer.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2014, 05:50:36 PM »
Related to this thread, thought I'd post two pics of my glovebox door, which I BELIEVE is unmolested.  Hope it helps someone with the suede discussion, which is a new finish name to me.  I'm not a paint guy, but will be bringing this door to my painter to match for the dashboard - which I've always known to be a smooth finish, a sort of semi dull, semi-gloss smooth black finish.  I have no proof this hasn't been repainted, but since I appear to have the original tire PSI sticker, I think it's original paint.  Hoping I can salvage the sticker, although I'm concerned about blue/green tape damaging it...maybe it's not such a big deal but it is the only original factory applied sticker and I'd prefer to keep it (assumption by its appearance and the fact it's in the glovebox where it's protected).

The glove box door isn't part of the "suede" finish discussion. The glove box door was a Chevrolet part, and was flow-coated in black primer, baked, and then painted interior lacquer color and baked again prior to installation to the previously Fisher Body-painted steel instrument panel, which was a frequent color-match problem.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything