Author Topic: Package Tray Paint  (Read 28836 times)

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
Re: Package Tray Paint
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 02:31:57 AM »
Based on the unrestored original car I have inspected/certified, the finish on the package tray trim is a  suede finish like the dash.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 06:42:39 PM »
According to Larry Christensen the package tray area was suede from the factory.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 06:41:30 PM »
According to Larry Christensen the package tray area was suede from the factory.

Clearly, it varied somewhat - my untouched/original '69 has no trace of the "suede" texture anywhere around the back window and package tray area.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 07:36:53 PM »
Suede deteriorates over time; 40 years is a lot of it. I had rattle cans of it mixed locally and recall spraying a portion of the dash on a parts car. It was a perfect match-to the area under the dash pad. Exposed areas of the same surface were weathered and looked smoother.
Learning more and more about less and less...

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 05:51:32 PM »
Could you not take a picture of an original car survivor's dash, which is supposed to be suede, and rear garnish area and settle this issue? The pictures would have to be taken with the same light, natural preferred, and camera.
Both areas would have had the same exposure so any difference would indicate a difference in surface finish.
Bob

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 07:23:35 PM »
What do you fellas mean by 'suede' paint?   Are you referring to a 'flat'  or 'semi-flat' finish?  with ie. low light reflection? 
I don't think I've ever heard the 'suede' term used previously (in 45 yrs or so) referring to automotive finishes.   Are there GM documents that use the suede term re '69 camaros??
I do recall when I purchased my '69 Camaro in '76, the first time I cleaned my rear glass on the inside, I *noticed* that the paint on the lower garnish moulding was more flat than anything I'd seen previously on a car I'd owned.   That same car has been sitting in my basement garage since 1980, and I don'[t recall 'cleaning' the inside of the back glass in that time..  if I have, it's only been once or twice.. :)    so it should still be close to the same.   I've pushed the car out a half dozen times in those 30+ year since to wash it on the outside.. and wiped it down on the inside maybe 2 or 3 times.   I can take a photo tonight if it would halp, but I can't guarantee the light level..?

Gary  / 69 Z28-RS
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 07:35:08 PM »
OK, here's my thought.  If the trim around the package tray is painted suede, and I don't believe it was, where does it change over.  Because the upper side trim is not suede, it is same as Dash face.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 09:02:47 PM »
Agreed. It could absolutely not happen on a '67 due to the fact that the interior panels do not cover the upper area which gets painted. On a '68 or '69, the rear interior panel would cover the top painted area and theoretically some transition to suede paint texture could have been made under there. However, I'm of the belief that suede paint was only used on the upper dash, forward of the dash pad.
Jon Mello
CRG

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »
 Look at this paint chart. It says low gloss and gives the specific places to be painted. Then below it list "O" gloss and gives the specific areas. That's what I went by when I painted my car.  Hover over the writing and it will magnify so you can read it.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1969-chevrolet-pg02.jpg
Daniel  

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 09:49:01 PM »
What do you fellas mean by 'suede' paint?   Are you referring to a 'flat'  or 'semi-flat' finish?  with ie. low light reflection?  
If using PPG, it's accomplished by adding DX1999(texture additive) and flattening agent to the paint. You can also under reduce flattened paint, and use a dry spray technique to achieve a similar result.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 10:07:09 PM »
Most of the suede questions are coming from the 69 owners but 68 owners may have doubts as well.
An original 68 could have pictures taken as well to clear up any possible issues.
Suede is more than a flat color. I believe that when applied the finish is irregular, something like pebble Gran on interior parts, so the light does not reflect directly back onto the windshield. Something like the surfaces of our stealth bombers.
Bob

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 10:17:30 PM »
Most of the suede questions are coming from the 69 owners but 68 owners may have doubts as well.
An original 68 could have pictures taken as well to clear up any possible issues.
Suede is more than a flat color. I believe that when applied the finish is irregular, something like pebble Gran on interior parts, so the light does not reflect directly back onto the windshield. Something like the surfaces of our stealth bombers.
Bob

OK here's the '68 paint chart and has the same areas listed for different gloss.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1968-chevrolet-pg02.jpg
Daniel  

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 12:10:46 AM »
Daniel,
Unfortunately the paint charts shown are generic for Chevrolet and do not cover specific models except for the 68 textured finish.
Being generic the charts only lead to confusion when trying to figure out what part and body style gets painted what % of gloss.
Looking at similar original car with the same approximate build date is the only way to hopefully know what is correct.
Bob

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 12:38:03 AM »
I guess I read too much into it. I figured it would have been across the board on run of the mill cars.
Daniel  

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 06:56:32 AM »
I checked my original car tonight; the garnish around / below the rear window is as I remembered..   flat, but not 'velvety' or 'suedy'..  (whatever that means), but it is flat enough that where it is touched it will leave 'shiny spots' which is a characteristic of very flat finishes.  I took photographs, but they are too large to post here, so I'll have to reduce resolution and size or retake the photo.

I would describe the finish as 'semi-flat black'....

Gary
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan