Author Topic: Carolina Blue/Powder Blue '69  (Read 74286 times)

IZRSSS

Re: Carolina Blue/Powder Blue '69
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2010, 10:42:35 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between one -  and two -- dashes on the trim code?  In addition, where would stripe delete be placed?  On a tag or on a build sheet?

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2010, 12:00:48 PM »
What is the difference between one and two dash marks on the cowl tag?  Was it common practice for the factory to place two dash marks at the paint code location of the tag? 

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2010, 01:33:23 PM »
If you read the link Kurt provided above, the answer is there.

For 69 the two place color code represented the bottom color in the first position, and the top color in the second position. The codes do not indicate stripe color, stripe color was based on the body, top, and interior color, There is an chart on this site that identifies the stripe color based on that info. Any non-standard paint was indicated by the - - code. That could be a special pain color, non standard stripe color, or stripe delete. If there is a special paint, and a rag or vinyl top on a special paint cat, the first - indicates special paint, but the top color is still designated by the second code. An example would be your Carolina blue with a black vinyl top coded - B, instead of - -. so custom paint color with a black vinyl, or convertible top.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

IZRSSS

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »
Your right, I should have taken my own advise...at any rate, thank you for explaining the posted link.

You read between the lines.  This is exactly what I am trying to find out.  Did the car come w/o stripes.  You mentioned the - - code could indicate stripe delete.  This car has the  (-E) which is Parchment (off white).  Would it be safe to say that this car came with the stripes?  Or, is the only way of knowing for certain is with the build sheet?

IZRSSS

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2010, 07:43:19 PM »
I won't have time to visit this site until next Monday.  So one last statement until then;  Thank you... Les, Emilio, Conrad, Gilbert, Chris, Reggie, Matt, Don, Chuck R., Ron & Suzie, Robert & Gilbert for always being there & to this extraordinary site!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 08:04:04 PM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2010, 03:02:33 PM »
The Concorso has come and gone and it was an experience me and my family will never forget!  The event began with an evening reception for all entrants and guests.  The atmosphere and diner was exceptional.  The evening ended with a conversation and open forum between Sr. Sterling Moss, Al Unser and the rest of us.  Sr. Sterling is an incredable speaker and captivated the audience as he spoke of the many races he is famous for.  Al Unser spoke about several topics but the most interesting was his thoughts of technology of then and now. 

The next day was a hundred mile tour for all entrants.  When I first heard of this I had assumed it was more of a parade type tour.  This could not have been farther from the truth.  The tour began at Buffalo Thunder to destination Villas Caldera in the Jemez mountains.  A change in elevation of some 6,000ft.  The tour was lead by a 2011 Bentley...this should give you an idea of what the Concorso had in mind.  Yup...it was a race to the top of the mountain with state troppers following close behind.  It was great legally blowing the top off of the posted speed limit.  Needless to say, our 350 small block didn't even come close to winning.

The next day was the show.  Lets just say, the whole time I was wondering what the heck I was doing there.  I was flanked by a 1/2million $ Dino Ferrari and several 1.5 to 1.7m Ferrari's and a '61 Aston Martin.  All class winners were mega $ cars and the Best of Show went to Ralph Lauren's 1938 Delahaye Type 145 V12 Coupe Chassis 48772 valued at well over 2m.

The '69 did draw a lot of attention and showed very well.  We brought back several items from the show including a beautiful ribbon for competing in the Tour but most importantly, memories that will last a life time.

IZRSSS

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2010, 07:51:16 PM »
KurtS...Can you help get in touch with WWMC?  I've tried getting in touch with them several times and I can't get a response.  Looking for more info on the '69.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2010, 03:38:42 AM »
I don't have any in's with them. I'd ask Jeremiah. http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1484791#post1484791
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2010, 01:20:53 PM »
Thank you KurtS  :)!  I just place a request to Jeremiah...

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2010, 02:28:33 PM »
Hey Guys,
Being from central NC and growing up in the 60,s and 70,s I can tell you that Carolina Blue cars were not rare here. A friend of mine had a 69 Z28 in about 71 that I am sure had the factory paint. Another friend ordered a Carolina Blue 68 L78 chevelle new and was well known here. It had a black vinyl top as did a 69 or 70 L78 Nova that was well known.I also remember a 70 Monte Carlo the same colors and a 67 SS Chevelle which I think is here and still owned by the original owner if I can find him. Another friend ordered a 78 Monte Carlo Carolina Blue with a white vinyl top which he sold later to brother. Carolina fans here are serious fans and during the 70,s the color was not a strange thing to see. If I locate L. Steele and his 67 ss chevelle I will check the paint code and post it.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

IZRSSS

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2010, 03:08:32 PM »
Thanks for the info Kelley.  Anything you can add to this thread would be great.  Keep in mind there were only two colors offered by GM in '69 for this light blue paint.  One was an Olds color; Powder Blue (like mine) and a Buick color; Azure Blue both of which are Code "80".  Correct me if I'm wrong but all of the information I have gathered from this site as well as from Camaro Tech is that Carolina Blue did not surface until 1970 ???

So, if your friends '69 Z was factory painted it would have been one of these two colors.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2010, 02:03:03 AM »
That's not true. A special paint order could be any color. It's easiest to spec out a current 69 color from another carline, but it could have been a Mopar color too.
And code 80 is one color, just with two names.
Kurt S
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2010, 11:50:15 AM »
Thank you KurtS.  Like I mentioned several times before, compared to you and other members of this site I am a fledgling but I'm learning.

In addition, I would like to thank you for mentioning Jeremiah.  We have begun communicating and it's amazing how well he remembers the car.  He never knew this thread existed and he still mentioned every single option the car came with.  He also mentioned the car is stripe delete.  Given Jeremiah's knowledge of the car I don't doubt this at all.  Even so, I would like to talk to these other two gentlemen before I commit to removing them.  He has just given me two important contacts.  The gentleman that presented the car for sale at WWMC and the person that restored the car just prior to it's sale. 

Jeremiah also knew the owner of the car before it sold at WWMC.  He was a close personal friend of his.

I will keep you posted.

IZRSSS

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2010, 03:10:40 AM »
I have been in contact with the gentlemen that restored the car who also lives in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.  As it turns out he is also one of the previous owners/partners of the car.  From what we have been able to piece together there have been six or seven owners which includes myself and Patricia Murray.  According to Mr. :-X he did a complete "mild" frame on restoration prior to the sale at WWMC and in his words, "it really didn't need it".  I am still trying to find out the extent of the restoration.  He also mentioned that it was the best looking and best handling car he has ever seen, his words not mine.  I'm sure there are 200k+ 1st gen C-owners that would disagree.  He also said that he has tried tracking the car down because he wanted to buy it back.  

He also described all of the options to a tee and the only item on the car that might not be stock is the alternator.  No build sheet, but he did mention that the only place he didn't look were the pillar's and the gas tank.  So there's still a chance.  I also had a question concerning the space saver tire that I purchased for the car based on the t-lid sticker illustrating this tire.  I have seen sticker reproductions and this certainly wasn't one of them.  So I had assumed it had come with the car.  He stated that the car had the SST in the car before it sold at WWMC.  Thank God, because it took me about a year to track down the correct tire and canister.  Another item/items that I purchased were deluxe belts, and again it was tough to locate the right belts with the correct date codes, etc. and Mr. :-X stated that the car had deluxe belts but that WWMC removed them and replaced them with standard belts.  He stated this even before I mentioned I had purchased replacements.

Now for the GM Executive story...Totally fabricated but I won't tell anyone if you won't.  Seems WWMC had to build interest on their cars and this was one of many ways, so I've been told.  So KurtS...as much as I hate to admit it, you were right...again ::)

He is trying to track down the second owner so there might be more to this story.  I have all the names except for this one individual...Jim __.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 03:36:19 AM by IZRSSS »