Author Topic: If you bought a car based on certification.........  (Read 34922 times)

rodent

• View Profile
If you bought a car based on certification.........
« on: January 16, 2010, 07:27:52 AM »
 ............by a well known guy who certifies a certain type of Camaro.......and it turns out that the car is not all it seems........what would you do  ???

RS3SDL2MG

• Brad
    • View Profile
Re: If you bought a car based on certification.........
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 12:31:05 PM »
probably not anything you could do , this is a real common thing nowaday's and really for the last several year's I'd say a LOT of people bought car's that were replica's or clone's of a more popular HIGHER PRICED model than they were when new ,, it's a real shame that you can't look at a car now and just go by what's on the cowl tag and take it to be what it say's , the most popular clone is the 69 Z/28 but all the Z's and L78's have been beat to death with fake cowl tag's fake paperwork and even fake protect-o-plate's like that guy in florida that will stamp you a protect-o-plate and make it whatever you want it to be , I would say that in the near future camaro's will remain popular car's because of the styling of the era they come from but the day's of saying a six cylinder isn't worth much and a Z is worth a LOT ARE OVER ! these car's will change hand's and be valued according to the condition they are in and the option's that they have at the time NOT what some type of fake paper say's ,,
1967 RS 327 (210) horse C-C ermine white 732 bright blue interior RARE 4P - DELETE

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 02:47:30 PM »
How would such a car have gotten to Queensland Austrailia, and how long has it been there?  What kind of documentation did you (or whoever bought it) see when the car was purchased, is it based on an inspection of the car, or just a cert based on the VIN?
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

rodent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I bought the car sight unseen............yeah I know what you are going to say :) but I was not really concerned about the condition of the car as I knew it needed a full rebuild, I only cared that the car was actually what it was represented as. Which was a 68 Z/28.

Because it needed most everything to bring it back up to scratch I bought it sight unseen purely because it had been certified by a well known Camaro authority. Now to the whats wrong and right with the car.

I believe the car is as represented....a '68 z/28 and is actually in better condition than i expected :) That said, there is something not right with the car :( should I have known this I would have never purchased the car :( The car was delivered to my house on a Wednesday and due to work commitments I did not get to have a look at it until yesterday. Pretty well as soon as soon as I looked at the car I could tell what was wrong :( Surely an authority in this type of car should have spotted this problem and noted it in their paperwork  ??? ::) I have spoken to the seller of the car who claims that he knew nothing of what is wrong with the car.....to which I call bs as he has a '67 and a'69 Camaro and I'm sure that most any car enthusiast would spot this problem.

I will try to speak to the guy certified it again this morning and see what he has to say.

cheers
Jim

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 09:21:19 PM »
Sorry to hear of the trouble. Regrettably in today's market, BUYER BEWARE is not a saying but a necessity. Without asking who the authority is, I expect your recourse would depend on exactly what is stated in the paperwork.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

rodent

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 09:35:36 PM »
What is on the paper work I believe is correct, it's what's not on the paperwork that i am disappointed about :(  
I would assume that when you certify/appraise a vehicle, you would document all aspects of the vehicle not just the ones associated with the rpo codes  ???

Maybe it is me who is confused  ???

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 01:36:50 AM »
Take it up with the appraiser, and if you bought the car from someone else who had the car certified, then you should see if your copy of the report matches the original copy of the original appraiser's report.  Sometimes secondary reports are altered.  I have seen this many times, and this just happened on a car that I certified for Jim Brown, the famous TV sportscaster.  In this case, the report was altered and many issues were left off the report to help sell the car.

Contact the appraiser and address the issue with him. 

Good luck,

Jerry

rodent

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 02:38:12 AM »
Appraiser contacted :)

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 01:37:30 PM »
A lot of appraisers, appraise cars for insurance reasons, they don't necessarily even know the specifics of the particular car model, if its presented to them as a Z28 they inspect it for general condition and establish a value for insurance.  That value is of course partially based on the car being a Z28, but they make no effort to even verify if the engine is a 350 or a 327.  What kind of appraisal came with the car?
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

JimM

• View Profile
    • Firstgens.com
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »
This is all pretty darned "general"?

What exactly do you believe is wrong with this car?

Is it not a real original engine 1968 Z/28?
JimM's Camaro Board http://www.firstgens.com

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 06:24:35 AM »
Is this the car that you had posted about a while back that had the VIN on the cert on digit off from the VIN on the car?
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 11:37:29 PM »
Rodent,

If you like, contact me re: your situation.  I have dealt with similar situations legally and if you were taken advantage of...you can do something about it and compensated.  It is not BUYER BEWARE if the fraud was intentional or you were led to believe a person was of certain expertise.

Email me at sdkar@bellsouth.net

Steve

DONCZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 01:58:24 AM »
 "LET THE BUYER BEWARE"  IF YOU ARE KNOWLEDGABLE  ENOUGH ,YOU WON'T BUY A FAKE!  DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU BUY!!

JimM

• View Profile
    • Firstgens.com
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 04:13:41 AM »
uh guys, we have a thread running at my new board here http://firstgens.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=310
where there is some additional info.

Mr. Rodent's first post was pretty much fishing methinks.
JimM's Camaro Board http://www.firstgens.com

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 05:14:28 AM »
From earlier this month, no idea if it's the same car he is referring to or not:

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=171550
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com