Author Topic: Rick's new catalog  (Read 36727 times)

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
Re: Rick's new catalog
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2007, 12:24:18 PM »
Check this guy out for fasteners.  He has some stuff I could not find ie; the twist rivets that hold the heat shield on to the right exhaust manifold.  The spring clamps for the fuel lines are a good deal too!

http://stores.ebay.com/Fasteners-Plus
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2007, 05:39:11 PM »
I have never been a fan of Rick's so this recent turn doesn't surprise me at all.  They have not had a small business mentatlity for years.  They went "corporate" long before ecklers bought them so don't blame it on Eckler's solely.  True. rick's has often been the only place to get some Repopped pieces and he has invested in making hihg quality parts like emblems but his sales folk are jsut like the people at Classic, order takers who don't care and don't know (anyone been to Lowes lately?) their warehousing practices suck and they pack orders in a very sloppy manner.  I have bought from them only when I have no other option.

Being a West Coaster and having lived in the Bay Area for 8 years (during the 80's & 90's) I have a preference for Steve's in San Bruno. I've known Steve since 1989 and his shop is still an independently run small business with attention to customers and competative pricing.  Did you know that Rick started out in the bay area at about the same time as Steve?  I believe he used to buy from Steve back in the day.  Give Steve a try 800-544-4451 or 650-873-1890

I've had very good luck with D&R also.

67L48

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2007, 07:59:31 PM »
I live in CO and have ordered parts from Rick's, Classic Industries, and D&R.  I've had success with all of them and never had a problem.  My experience is that Classic Ind is the best price, if you can use a coupon.  Othwerwise, I tend to go with D&R, which has the same prices as Rick's and Classic, but much lower shipping and handling.  Always figured that Rick's and Classic must pay 6 people to cooperatively walk down each part you order to a shipping room.  I tend towards D&R these days, but they don't carry everything I need.

I know that at the place I work, S&H is a profit center.  However, we sell commercial goods and the way S&H is baked into invoices and such isn't as bad ... and the people buying are doing so, often, with "other people's money."  I think that I represent a fairly large customer segment -- one that is very sensitive to total price *including* S&H.

I remember a few years back when Sumitt Racing announced its new free shipping program.  I was excited until I learned that they still charged a "handling" fee of around $8, which was damn near the same S&H that I typically was charged on my average order from them.  Needless to say, the new free shipping program didn't increase my order rate from them.  Might be a great deal if you ran a shop where you frequently ordered bulk orders of various stuff.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2007, 12:36:15 AM »
I just ordered 250.00 worth of small stuff from Classic.  It's the first time I try them so I'm not sure what to expect but sofar I'm thrilled at the web sites print out of the order.  They calculate the shipping after the sale which I thought was a bit odd and ship the stiff with out telling you the cost of the shipping.  If they did I missed it...  I'll decide if I'll use them again when the parts arrive and I see what the shipping cost is.  Keep you posted...till then.
Joe
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2007, 09:07:58 PM »
I just ordered 250.00 worth of small stuff from Classic.  It's the first time I try them so I'm not sure what to expect but sofar I'm thrilled at the web sites print out of the order.  They calculate the shipping after the sale which I thought was a bit odd and ship the stiff with out telling you the cost of the shipping.  If they did I missed it...  I'll decide if I'll use them again when the parts arrive and I see what the shipping cost is.  Keep you posted...till then.
Joe

I got my parts yesterday.  Took 5 days west to the east.  Shipping was 30.00.  I guess that's not too bad or maybe on the high side of not too bad.  Rick's would have been more I'm sure
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2007, 05:34:18 PM »
I just did order from GROUND UP RESTORATIONS.  The parts came today.  Very pleased with the parts and the shipping was FREE...with an order over $250.00. 
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe