Author Topic: Rick's new catalog  (Read 36740 times)

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
Rick's new catalog
« on: November 04, 2007, 04:35:40 PM »
Anyone checked out the new Rick's catalog?  Ouch :o  on the price increase throughout the catalog.  The one thing that caught my eye was the retainer clip for a powerglide modulator vacuum tube.  From $3.55 to $15.99 :o :o.  I did'nt need that part anyway.
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: Rick's new catalog
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 02:58:32 AM »
There has been a lot of talk on this subject on TC and not much of it is favorable.  My biggest gripe is the return policy.  I've got a lot of incorrect parts and some others for 69's.
68Z28

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 05:02:56 AM »
I just got my new Rick's catalog as well. "Ouch!" is mild. I as well have gotten incorrectly packaged parts from them, and their return policy is awful, too. I've found them difficult to deal with on some returns and their shipping charges are outrageous. It doesn't cost $12 to ship a 4-lb box via UPS to my zone, and I know it. $4 is more like it. But--they have stuff others don't, so I have to deal with them. I use Classic Muscle in Winston-Salem, NC whenever possible. They sell the same parts as Rick's at 5-10% less for the exact same parts at the old Rick's prices. What worries me is this; are the outrageous price increases by Rick's an indicator that the rest of the aftermarket will follow suit? 
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 05:07:42 AM »
Try DnR Classic. I use them all the time and Jake is the best guy to talk to there. I've never had a problem yet and the prices are not to bad.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 11:33:53 AM »
Rick's was at GM Carlisle this past summer. I called and asked them to bring specific parts so I could pick them up there. They didn't bring ANY parts, just 6 or 7 cars. I'd think they could have found local cars that had used their parts. They also posted a sign that if you ordered there they would pay the shipping. The sign didn't explain that didn't include truck shipping, like quarters. What a wasted effort.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 05:16:50 PM »
You all know that Rick's was bought by Eckler's? They also charge for sameday shipping, $3.95. Rick's use to ship everthing the same day for free. Ground Up Restorations is a good source also. Muscle Car City in MI is OK also.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:23:30 PM »
I did not know this.  Thanks.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 11:34:15 PM »
if eckler's bought rick's what happened to the owner?

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 05:05:09 PM »
took the money and run....

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 10:09:41 PM »
I've normally purchased items through Rick's, but after seeing the increases I am shopping around to all the stores that handle our product.

Dave

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 05:13:17 AM »
I just got a small order from them. One item was for a battery hold down clamp bolt. Yes I wanted a good rcorrect epro part. It looks just exactly like a door hinge bolt. This is probably the last I will ever buy from them.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 01:09:30 PM »
A $128.00 order from Rick's came last week by FX ground in a small 1.2 # box............ :o....$17.99....:o...............shipping and Man handling !!!........They can go pack sand. After four cars done with them I am on to another vendor.
 I also have a 56 chevy I might hot rod and Ecklers will not see any of that action either.
                                   Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 11:10:36 PM »
Maybe Rick's is just getting in line with what it cost us for parts when we try and find good ones at swap meets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::)

Dave

Bjv69ss

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 12:23:31 AM »
I"m glad I posted the question.  I thought it was me!  Knowing that Ekler's bought Ricks makes sence from the Dollar stand point.  I had an 85 Corvette.  The prices from Ekler's was more than the rest of those guys.
I too am looking for other vendors.  I did an 69 vert from them and they treated me like dirt too.

One of the last things I orderd from them was a auto trans kit. It says in the catalog that it is complete and has all the seals discs etc.  When it arrived it had no band and no filter.  I called them and told them of the problem.  They sent me another kit,  never checked it, when it arrived it also had no band or filter either.  Turns out the kits don't come with those two parts.  They don't offer the band separate but they did offer to send me a filter for free.

Who's the best to deal with for the Camaro???
1969 Fathom Green
SS 350 Coupe 
71 Impala Sport Coupe

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 01:40:23 AM »
......Who's the best to deal with for the Camaro???

I like Classic Muscle in North Carolina They are a GM dealer that has a classic department. Their prices are very competitive and their freight is reasonable. www.oldmusclecars.com

Also SS396.com and Belair Bobs. Bob is a good guy to deal with also. Very fair.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

anything