Author Topic: Family survivor 69 Camaro  (Read 59969 times)

gma_camaro

• View Profile
Family survivor 69 Camaro
« on: March 16, 2018, 03:41:56 AM »
New member here with a nearly untouched Camaro that has been in my family for its entire life. I am posting here to share its story with an appreciative community and help if I can by documenting anything during the time I am working on it. I am just starting on a resto-mod type project with it. While it will not be 100% preserving or restoring this car, I respect those that do and would love to be a help. There will also be some parts for sale I will not be using and do not plan on keeping.

This 1969 Camaro was purchased new by my great-grandfather in December 1968 during his retirement. The story goes that the husband of one of his nieces had bought a 69 Camaro RS after coming home from Vietnam and great-grandpa loved its look so much that he bought one to be his “fishing” car. He traded in a 61 Biscayne for the Camaro. Being an old retired farmer he did not want a lot of options so he ordered a base model with the few options being a two barrel 327 and a floor shift three speed. He drove it for a few years and after his passing my grandmother (his daughter) bought it from the estate for $1500. That was over the objections of my grandfather, he did not want to have to keep “just another old car” around the farm.
I first knew the car as a young kid in the 80s when grandma would drive to the grocery store with me and on her own fishing trips. As I got older and my interest in cars and all things mechanical grew, Grandma and I talked a lot about the car. I started my first project on a 1968 C10 (that I still have) in the garage next to the Camaro in the late 90s. I drove it occasionally (whenever Grandma allowed) after high school, mainly to keep it in working order. Shortly before Grandma passed, the car became mine and I recently trailered it to my home in IL. I drove it occasionally for the past year or so and am now ready to start work on it to keep the family enjoying it for another 49 years.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmeFqB6B Flickr album

Picture of the car with me and Grandma, this ended up being the last time she rode in the car.

Some details on the car. It has 81,687 miles on it and has been in no accidents or had any major components replaced.  There was some minor body work done on a dent in the rear quarter in the 90s and the camshaft was replaced in the 80s. Living its entire life in rural North Dakota, it is rust free but has many rock chips from life on gravel roads. The missing piece in the grille and the scrape on the front passenger side fender both carry a story. Originally it had no radio but a Custom Autosound unit was added in the 90s.

Pictures, VIN plate, order forms. Some of these pictures are nearly 10 years old but the car has not changed in that time.

My plan for the car is to keep the body completely stock and unrestored except for wheels and tires. The interior will be cleaned up and will replace only a few items as needed. The headliner and door panels are perfect but the dash pad and steering wheel have some cracks. Air conditioning and a vintage looking modern radio will be added. Powertrain is a LS6 with Holley EFI, cam, ported heads and a T56 transmission. The LS engine will be dressed to look like a SBC from 1969. Suspension will be a complete Ridetech coilover system and brakes are from a Gen5 Camaro. The goal is to keep the survivor look of the car but update it to be reliable modern performing car that can be driven anywhere.
As I start the work on the car I would be more than happy to take any notes or share pictures of anything with the people on this board. As parts come off, there will be some available for sale. Please contact me by PM for that.

Likely items for sale: Engine accessories, AIR system, carb, brackets, fasteners, distributor, etc.
Seat belts, seat covers, carpet, nearly all electrical items, maybe dash pad and steering wheel
Wheels, spare tire, brakes, control arms, steering box, other suspension pieces
Not for sale: Engine and transmission 
Possible for sale: Jack, rear axle, gauge cluster

Hope you all enjoy reading about this car that carries with it so many family memories. Let me know if there are any specific pictures I could grab or if you have any other interests or questions.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:37:29 PM by KurtS »

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Family survivor 69 Camaro
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 04:20:26 AM »
That's a great inheritance from your grandparents!  :)   Congratulations and good luck at keeping it for another 49 years.. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 05:25:46 AM »
Thanks for posting. I look forward to the details.
My picture requests: cooling fan and clutch, dip stick, close-ups of the top of the engine before you pull parts.
I'm surprised you're selling that many of the interior parts. I'd suggest keeping those parts and figuring out what needs changed out after you get the new drivetrain in and running....

People - Please don't post requests for parts. Please keep those in PM's and off the forum.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:33:18 PM by KurtS »
Kurt S
CRG

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 09:54:53 AM »
My suggestion would be to do the transformation in steps. Get your engine and trans swap complete, to the point it can be driven. Then work on the interior.

Too many guys completely blow a car apart with big plans, but then things stall out. Doing it in steps will give you boosts of confidence at each level of completion. Good luck.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 12:06:11 PM »
Take it for what it is, but if it were me, I'd buy something else and sell that beautiful example of a very original 69. They're only original once and they're disappearing quickly because of LS conversions etc. To each his how and it's your car. Just something to think about. It would be too bad that it lasted 49 years with your family to be modified that heavily.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 02:39:41 PM »
One can hardly blame a 'new camaro owner' for wanting to upgrade it.  When such an original Camaro ends up unexpectedly into a younger persons hands, they typically do not realize how rare it is to have such an original article, and how it 'changes' things when they begin the modifications....

Note to owner:  When you talk about modifying such an original car to those of us at this site (who are mostly worshippers of totally original unmolested/unrestored cars), WE are aghast!  :) 

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 03:09:22 PM »
I love hearing story's about family owned Camaros. Thanks for sharing it with us.. Keep us updated on your project.

Rick
Rick
69 RS/Z28

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 03:26:10 PM »
Gary,
We've had that conversation. Aaron has determined the path already, so his offer was for us to be able to glean some information from the car as it gets torn down. Yes, the end product is counter to many on the site, but if it's destined to happen, might as well get some good out of it!
Just installing the trans would make the car immensely more enjoyable. But that's not a whole new suspension and drivetrain.

I also want to see the engine mounts and bolts when you get to that stage.
Kurt S
CRG

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 08:02:50 PM »
A good steam cleaning of the engine bay would do wonders. Looking forward to the pics and details on this car.

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 01:55:44 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys. Believe me I thought hard about doing more of a restoration angle but especially after driving it for a year as is I decided that making it a more enjoyable/modern behaving car was the path. If it was a SS 4spd or a big block rather than a base 2-bbl 327 I would probably being going a different route. No chance I would sell it either, the family history is too strong. Again, I truly enjoy the restoration community and have checked out this site more than few times over the years. I've picked the aftermarket parts with an eye towards minimizing cutting and other irreversible changes.

The project will take some time but I've done a long term project on my 68 C10 and varying duration work on 04 and 06 GTO. Those two are gone but the C10 is a reliable hot rod so that will scratch my classic vehicle itch for the next couple years while the Camaro is being worked on.

I'll get to the detailed pictures soon, this weekend is pretty booked so may not be until Sunday night or Monday. Keep the requests and questions coming. I'm already interested to learn about what you're looking for. I forgot the trim tag picture so here it is:

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 01:58:31 AM »
Kurt - I may hang on to more of the interior yet. Depends on what things look like as I dig in.

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 03:17:15 AM »
That's a great inheritance from your grandparents!  :)   Congratulations and good luck at keeping it for another 49 years.. :)

Great stroke of luck that great-grandfather bought a Camaro and not an Impala.....but inheritance,  not so much. Grandma needed some cash near the end and I had to purchase rather than inherit. Good lesson in financial planning wrapped up in that one.

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 03:27:17 AM »
A good steam cleaning of the engine bay would do wonders. Looking forward to the pics and details on this car.

Any tips on how to clean up the firewall without damaging the factory markings? Any definite "don't do" cleaners or methods?

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 01:58:35 AM »
THere only original once. It would be too bad that it lasted 49 years with your family to be modified that heavily.
X2
I have been fortunate to be the "custodian" of a couple of cars like this. It only works for you if you can appreciate the originality aspect.
 It's your car to do with as you please, and I appreciate the photos and parts, BUT there are so many 69 solid project cars out there that would be great for a LS swap. If I were a close friend or Nieghbor I would suggest you may want to rethink this one. :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:23:08 AM by BULLITT65 »
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 04:42:13 AM »

Any tips on how to clean up the firewall without damaging the factory markings? Any definite "don't do" cleaners or methods?

No solvents..  If it's really dirty/oily, maybe simple green or a similar cleaner diluted 1/1 with warm water, and applied wtih a soft rag or soft bristle brush.. then rinse with clear water...

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 05:24:48 AM »
BTW while you would get many looks at any car show with a clean original like that, there are shows just for survivor type cars.

Also you could replace things as neccessary, just to keep it streetable. Ex : new bushings , tie rods , ball joints. It's a ton of fun to drive them, but they don't last forever, unless you maintain them.

Just my 2 cents. I am glad you are pondering all possibilities

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 06:50:31 PM »

As Gary mentioned, start very easy at first. Simple green diluted 50 percent with water in a spray bottle. Then another bottle with warm water to rinse. See what that does.

A hand held steam cleaner in the hands of someone with experience would make a big difference but you need to know what you are doing.  I would not use this car to gain experience. The key is getting the steam to remove the dirt and grime but not getting things too hot. Keep the cleaner moving and don’t linger in one spot too long.

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 04:20:36 AM »
Here are a few of the requested detail pics. Let me know if not enough detail is coming through...a photographer I am not. Here is a link to the album to for the full resolution and pictures I did not post or are requests I received via PM. https://flic.kr/s/aHsmeFqB6B Flickr looks like it may be having an issue getting all of them into that album but I'll try fixing that in the morning.

General engine and plug wires. Also a few of the original distributor and coil. My dad has told me that a cam lobe went flat in the 80s and the cam was replaced so there are certainly a few things disturbed on the top of the engine. Obviously, the distributor in the engine right now is not original but the close ups are from the original. The car started great for 48 years but then the day I loaded it on the trailer to haul home it didn't. When I got it home I swapped in a known good distributor and coil and drove it like that. After inspecting the the original distributor I found some corrosion on the points so that was the likely culprit of not starting on the original parts. The original distributor cap was long gone but I'll let you guys be the judge on the rest of the distributor.

Fan clutch and fan. Looking for advice here, any tips on how to get it apart carefully? I was going to unbolt it from the pump hub and remove in one piece. What pictures do you want to see when it is off the engine?

Dipstick

Best I can get of the motor mounts for now. Don't mind the Motorcraft filter grandpa put on it at some point.....

Original jack. The t-shape lug wrench looks like a home weld job but is the other one original?

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 05:16:03 AM »
The Motorcraft fuel filter must be a option?? ::)
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 01:43:27 PM »
I'm a guy that drives a modified Camaro but would not modify that one. Very nice car. I would clean it up and enjoy it as is. Or if you absolutely have to just do mods that can be easily undone.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 01:49:50 PM »
Most of us here feel the same, that original Camaros should be kept original (if possible), and several of us have stated so in posts...  but it's his car, and he has his dream (which he may have lived with for a long time)... For the rest of us, we can only think that his doing so will make our own original cars even MORE rare... and commiserate with song...  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=232naAvYiGY

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 03:56:48 PM »
Most of us here feel the same, that original Camaros should be kept original (if possible), and several of us have stated so in posts...  but it's his car, and he has his dream (which he may have lived with for a long time)... For the rest of us, we can only think that his doing so will make our own original cars even MORE rare...

It s funny you mention that. I was out yesterday, driving my white 69, and had a few people give me a head nod, or say "nice car". This got me to thinking. These people are not saying nice car because it is a Z/28, they are saying this because it is a old car, and maybe they recognize it as a Camaro. I don't often see first gen camaros driving around.(even in my mild climate). I think so many guys have fixed them up, they must be afraid to drive them often. And the other majority have them torn apart in their garage and they remain in project stage for a decade or more. I would say the smallest majority actually drive their cars on a daily basis.

To me there is a certain value in being able to daily drive these cars, and keep them on the road. This car looks to be a car that has been daily driven, and presents as such in the pics. I love seeing cars, that are drivers, whether plain jane, SS, Pace car, what ever.

Sure some of us live in areas with 4 seasons and cannot have them safely on the road as much, (I get that).

I just wish more classic car owners just maintained and drove them. The cars are going to outlive us, who are we preserving them for?

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 05:46:46 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post pics. I think we can all agree the site appreciates refrence material. I will enjoy watching progress with your build.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

ALLZS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
would like to see some good detailed  pictures of the  PBT stamps on the left & right of the firewall  thanks also great car

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 01:52:48 AM »
Just 4 bolts and the fan is off. I'm mostly interested if there are #'s on the fan blades and a pic of the clutch.
Flattened end dip stick.
What's the overall length of the lug wrench?
Yup, pics of some parts will be when you take things apart.
Kurt S
CRG

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 07:22:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing some great pics and taking the time to share. Whatever you do enjoy and know it will always present fond memories. Grandma knew what she was doing. :)
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 04:12:42 AM »
Was out of town for work this week but got a couple things done around the house and garage today. Reminder that the link to the Flickr album is earlier in the thread.

Here is the fan and clutch. Also, there are some pictures of the four bolts from fan hub to water pump/pulley. I've had a few inquiries about them as well.

Kurt, I see no numbers on the blades but may not be looking in the right spot. Where should I look? Do I need to take the fan and clutch apart for that? I was waiting on doing that until posting the pictures here.

The last O in Ohio is there, just a bit faint and not coming through in pictures well.

Total length of lug wrench:

Here is the flat end of the dipstick a bit closer:

I'll be getting caught up on PM questions tonight too.

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2018, 04:18:28 AM »
If anyone wants specific pictures in the engine bay, I will be taking the following things off in the next week.

Radiator, shroud, and all hoses (hoses and clamps are not original)
Carb
Plug wires are off
General wiring harness (I will not cut it while taking it out)
I may get around to dropping the gas tank too

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 05:02:54 AM »
Some factory fans didn't have a stamped number or date code, but those usually have 'H' and 'FRONT' stamped near the mounting holes.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
Kurt, I see no numbers on the blades but may not be looking in the right spot. Where should I look? Do I need to take the fan and clutch apart for that? I was waiting on doing that until posting the pictures here.

Here are a couple of photos of mine, showing where the numbers on the fan are stamped...  EAch fan blade is stamped in the identical location on each.  There should also be a date code (H69) on mine.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 03:31:34 PM »
Just 4 bolts and the fan is off. I'm mostly interested if there are #'s on the fan blades and a pic of the clutch.
Flattened end dip stick.
What's the overall length of the lug wrench?
Yup, pics of some parts will be when you take things apart.

Interesting that it has the optional (RPO K02) 7 blade fan and clutch.  Standard would have been the fixed 4-blade fan.

When I rebuilt the 327 in my ride and upped the compression ration to 10.5:1, I discovered just how marginal the stock cooling system was and that after the rebuild, the stock cooling system was right on the edge. 

I converted from the 4 blade fixed fan to 7 blade, temperature control clutch arrangement, sealed up any leakage paths I could find between the core support and the radiator and that eliminated any cooling issues that I was experiencing.  Key was getting more air through the stock 3 core radiator. 

The optional 7 blade fan really made a difference.  That is a nice option to have.

Good luck.

Richard
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 04:14:00 PM »
Certainly an interesting option to pick - great grandpa may have been trying to avoid overcooling in those cold ND winters.

I can attest to the fan working great on the car, last summer I drove about 100 miles round trip of the Hot Rod Power Tour in 90+ heat and it didn't miss a beat. Of course, the 2bbl 327 is not making anywhere close to its full power anymore..ha!... and I just cruised it pretty gently.

ALLZS

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2018, 04:38:55 PM »
still interested in some detailed pictures of the PBT stamps on the fire wall both left & right sides thanks 

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2018, 02:48:29 AM »
still interested in some detailed pictures of the PBT stamps on the fire wall both left & right sides thanks

Need to get them cleaned up a bit before I can get some decent pictures. Probably won't be until later this week.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2018, 05:49:05 PM »
Thanks for the pics.
He has more pics that he hasn't posted here on his Flicker album. I added the link to his first post. It's https://flic.kr/s/aHsmeFqB6B
Kurt S
CRG

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2018, 12:54:44 AM »
One more thing...anyone know what this is? It was in the glove box and must have come with the car from the dealer. It is a simple piece of plastic that looks like it could be a place to hang something. The smaller circle is extended out from the bigger one, I should have taken one more picture of it - ha

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »
That's an ice scraper; grab it by the handle and move it around the windshield in a circular motion.

Takes a guy in his '60s from WI.
Learning more and more about less and less...

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2018, 02:28:11 AM »
Spot on William.  I remember using one as a kid.

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2018, 03:44:10 AM »
Thanks - I grew up in ND and still live in the midwest but have never seen or used such an ice scraper.  :o

That's an ice scraper; grab it by the handle and move it around the windshield in a circular motion.

Takes a guy in his '60s from WI.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2018, 11:36:10 AM »
Never saw one hear in NC but I like it.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2018, 01:49:57 AM »
Got a few more things off over the last week. Big one is the AIR system and here are some photos. What does the date code on the pump indicate? Also, is the orange overspray on the tubes from the factory?

I also now have most of the engine bay cleaned out and can get close up photos of anything. If it is not in the photos it is in a storage bin; I have only sold a handful of items so far. Other than the carb coming off the engine will likely stay as is until the front clip comes off.

Here are the pics, remember there are more in the Flickr album. (link in the original post)

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2018, 04:55:10 AM »
Great that you were able to get the AIR tubes out in one piece.
Shouldn't have any orange on it.
http://www.camaros.org/emissions.shtml#pumps
Kurt S
CRG

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2018, 04:16:49 PM »
Don’t loose that metal tag under the screw on the front of the carb - it is the part number tag and should have a date code and perhaps some other info.  Since it has the tag, probably no part no. on the carb body itself. 
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 03:36:03 AM »

Here they are, along with a number stamping on the back of the fan clutch hub I somehow missed

This one shows the lack of paint coverage behind the wiring hanger

and the fan clutch hub

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2018, 07:46:45 PM »
Can you measure the heights and widths of the PBT stamps? I think the repros are too big, IIRC.

Thanks!
Kurt S
CRG

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2018, 07:45:51 PM »
I love the firewall... the grey on the top with the misted lemans blue is so PERFECT... VERY FEW PEOPLE reproduce or replicate this detail correctly. THEY PUT WAY TOO MUCH body color.

The double T on the drivers side is quite typical.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »
Congrats and.....wow.  Takes guts....

Can you take a photo of the dash panel top?  Like to see what the "suede paint" looks like after all these years.  thanks!

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2018, 03:12:07 AM »
Sizes of firewall letters

Dash pictures did not look great under garage lights, will get some in daylight tomorrow.

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2018, 12:07:49 AM »
IS the Radiator Code UH?

James
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2018, 12:06:20 PM »

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2018, 01:19:56 PM »
And some shots of the exhaust manifolds:

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2018, 12:02:53 PM »
Kurt, You had asked for pictures of the engine mount bolts. Let me know if this what you are looking for.

Driver side. This one is still installed

Passenger side. Could not get a good one of the rear view and had to pull bolt to get cable off from around the exhaust manifold.

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2018, 08:33:49 PM »
Got a few more parts off this week and am about ready to pull the front clip. Here are some more detail pictures, as usual there are more in the album if you want to see more. Send me a note for any follow up details. Lug nuts are in there too, they had a mix of markings and are pending sold to a guy on yenko.net.

First question - is this an original battery cable? The battery clamp is not original of course but the starter end terminal looks factory:

Master cylinder and prop valve:

Tag that was on the master cylinder cover bail - it fell off with a minor disturbance. Not sure how it was still on. Is this original?

Tag on carb:

Water pump:

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2018, 09:03:41 PM »
Congrats and.....wow.  Takes guts....

Can you take a photo of the dash panel top?  Like to see what the "suede paint" looks like after all these years.  thanks!

Finally remembered to snap these - sorry about the wait. Got them in a few different looks - from inside, outside through the windshield. Paint looks great just not sure the pictures do it justice. The car sat inside most of the time since the mid-80s in a garage with not a lot of windows so that saved it a lot of paint fade.

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2018, 08:49:08 PM »
WOW 
Mardsen Nut on the Motor mount... does anyone know is that original?

That dash pad will clean up nicely... here is an original black dash pad I cleaned

Seats will also clean nicely

James

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2018, 09:14:43 PM »
James did you use anything special to clean it with?. I have use baby oil in the past, but I would think there is a better product. Also have you repaired any that were separating?

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2018, 12:41:49 AM »
I have seen that type of nut used on engine mounts before - but can NOT say for sure if it was on a 69 Camaro.

For what it is worth, reproduction parts sold by this company use the same type.
https://www.camarocentral.com/1967_1971_Engine_Mount_Thru_Bolts_p/enc-17f.htm

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2018, 04:06:22 PM »
A tooth brush and/or a fingernail brush and I believe denatured alcohol - which is used to clean rubber and vinyl rollers in the printing industry.

Yes I have reattached the covers to the backers... the backing has to be flattened using heat first.
James

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2018, 04:29:57 AM »
Yes, that's the original cable and RC is the broadcast code for the drum brake system.

What do you see as the height and width measurements of the T, P, and B stamps? I see about 7/8" high on the T and 3/4 on the P & B, but it's hard to be sure.

Thanks!
Kurt S
CRG

69z28rsbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2018, 03:27:11 PM »
James what adhesive did you use to reattach the dash pad cover to the hard plastic backer ? Any tips or tricks in doing this....thanks
X33 72 72 RS
X33 71 71 RS
X33 10 10

DomX77D80

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2018, 01:44:51 PM »
Wow Thank's for your Picture  ;D 8)

Everett#2390

• ^Bess
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2018, 11:09:13 PM »
Awesome story/thread and Thanks for the pictures.
I am surprised the exhaust pipe studs DID NOT break and OE nuts did not hang up.
A flashlight is a case for dead batteries.

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2018, 03:25:19 AM »
Well it's been a few months and between two summer road trips, kids' activities, summer yard work, doing a few tweaks on the C10, and generally enjoying the summer I have not had much time to work on the Camaro. In the last week though the disassembly made a major step forward with the front sheet metal coming off. I posted a few more pictures to Flickr but not a lot of detail shots. Let me know what you want to see at this phase.

In the next couple of weeks I will be tearing down the front suspension and pulling the engine/trans. Seats and larger interior parts will be coming out soon too.

Anyone want a T3 headlight that doesn't work?  :o

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2018, 11:00:23 AM »
Seats are out now, seat belts next. Last call for any pre-disassembly photos of anything else in the interior. Door panels, dash pad, and headliner will not be coming out. More pictures of the seat belts in the Flickr album.

Some pre-disassembly shots

The carpet

Rear

Seat belts (more on the album, showing all tags)

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2018, 11:03:20 AM »
...and a couple random ones

Ashtray

Crank pulley and bolts

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2018, 11:43:27 AM »
Nice detail shots, thank you!
Really like the uncluttered look of a manual floor shifter without a console.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2018, 03:35:51 PM »
Might as well pull the heater motor and shoot the second hidden VIN for fun. I am sure it matches, but just nice to see. There might also be some other chalk markings under there. You might have to rebuild the motor anyway? I put mine in a vice and ran it for 15 minutes and it seemed ok so I just put it back in. Nice job so far! Danny

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2018, 09:00:04 PM »
The interior shots often requested are the cuts in the carpet to install the seats and the melt pads (tar stuff) on the floor.
Thanks!
Kurt S
CRG

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2018, 10:46:56 AM »
Heater motor will be coming out soon. Where is the second VIN? I will get a shot and post it.

Here are some picture of the cuts in the under seat carpet. I will probably get the carpet out in the next couple of days and will post pictures of how everything looks underneath then.

R68GTO

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2018, 12:30:09 AM »
Thank you for posting all these photos gma, this is a thread I will likely reference quite often.  If you get a chance to photograph Bothe the underlayment beneath the carpet and the underside of the drivers side carpet, I would definitely have an interest in those areas.  Thanks again for creating and maintaining this thread!
1969 427 COPO Camaro Lemans Blue/Black, M22 4 speed, 15,500 original miles

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2018, 04:16:59 AM »
Might as well pull the heater motor and shoot the second hidden VIN for fun. I am sure it matches, but just nice to see. There might also be some other chalk markings under there. You might have to rebuild the motor anyway? I put mine in a vice and ran it for 15 minutes and it seemed ok so I just put it back in. Nice job so far! Danny

Here's the matching VIN under the heater box

I'm converting over to Vintage Air - will change the center vent set up though to keep the dash pad and to not cut the dash.

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2018, 04:26:25 AM »
Making a bit more progress. Most of the interior is out, just the harness, one kick panel, and a few of the vent ducts left. Carpet will be coming out soon. Hopefully I'll get to all of that this weekend and clean up the parts that are all over the garage. Here are a few interior shots. Let me know if you want to see any details.

Adding a better picture of the original dealer sticker. One of my favorite things on the car. If I ever have to repaint it I am going to replicate this.

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2019, 03:59:26 AM »
It's been awhile again since the last post but here's an update. I'll post a few more pictures, let me know if you want any detail shots. There are more in the Flickr album.
Interior is completely stripped, all harnesses are out, firewall is stripped. Exhaust system, rear axle, front suspension, and subframe will all be coming out in the next week or so.

After carpet removal and some tags I found under the carpet. One was still stuck to the carpet and the other came off when I pulled it out.

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2019, 04:03:15 AM »
A few miscellaneous

Under carpet

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2019, 04:49:31 AM »
As I recall one of the CRG Research topics was finned vs unfinnrd drum brakes - mostly for ‘68’s but notice finned front drums shown in an earlier post on this page.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2019, 03:27:38 AM »
Don,t get to see parts like that coming out of a first gen. Must have been a conditioned garage. Very helpfull to members for reference.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2019, 04:28:34 AM »
Were there melt pads (tar pads) under the driver's feet?
Thanks!
Kurt S
CRG

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2019, 06:23:09 AM »
What's the date on the gas tank? Danny

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2019, 03:15:17 AM »
Were there melt pads (tar pads) under the driver's feet?
Thanks!

Yes Kurt there were - I did not get pictures of them on the floor (I forgot!) but have some of them out of the car. They were starting to tear at the floor to firewall bend but they came out in one piece.

To all - I've done some more work on disassembly and have it down to pretty much the body shell so let me know if there are any questions or pictures to see. Flickr hasn't been letting me upload pictures for a couple of months so I need to get that fixed to post a few more. Body mounts, engine mounts, and line clips are some of new ones to post.

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2019, 03:16:44 AM »
What's the date on the gas tank? Danny

Danny-

There is a lot of undercoating on the tank and I cannot find it. What is the exact place to look? Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to get some of the undercoating off.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2019, 03:22:27 AM »

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2019, 03:42:36 AM »
and just like that Flickr works....some account settings were apparently out of date...

Body mount details

Line clips

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2019, 03:52:17 AM »
Alignment shims

Dash vent

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2019, 01:25:49 AM »
Kurt- Here are pictures of the tar pads from under the front floorboard to firewall area

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2019, 02:41:20 AM »
I'm cleaning up the firewall and new parts will finally start going on soon. Here are some shots of a few details as I cleaned it. "BBLU" written and "A46 1" stamped into firewall. What does the stamping represent? Other pictures are of primer, body color, and firewall paint coverage.

Also, any tips on they best option to touch up paint on the firewall? The master cylinder leaked for years and the paint immediately below it flaked off when I wiped it down. I bought a couple rattle can underhood semi gloss paints but neither have enough gloss to match the factory paint when sprayed on a test part.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2019, 03:17:32 AM »
'A46 1' would be the sheetmetal panel stamping date code (week 46); more here - http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#sheet
Tim in Australia.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2019, 01:45:43 PM »
I suspect the BBLU written is for the exterior paint color (bright blue?   or Lemans BLue for '69)??

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2019, 06:57:44 PM »
Can you post a shot of the underside of the front carpet in the tunnel area? I think it's all padded there?

Were those brake or fuel line clips?

Thanks!
Kurt S
CRG

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2019, 03:06:05 AM »
Kurt- Here is the underside carpet picture

Brake line clips

Fuel line clips
Will post as soon as picture uploads...

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2019, 07:57:21 PM »
Interesting that your carpet isn't split going from the shifter hole towards the dash. A few years ago everyone "guaranteed" me that they were all sliced for installation. Thought it was odd... Great pics your posting.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2019, 05:36:33 AM »
Interesting that your carpet isn't split going from the shifter hole towards the dash. A few years ago everyone "guaranteed" me that they were all sliced for installation. Thought it was odd... Great pics your posting.

FOR CONSOLE CARS YES... this car has no console.
James

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2019, 05:45:55 AM »
James what adhesive did you use to reattach the dash pad cover to the hard plastic backer ? Any tips or tricks in doing this....thanks

I used body panel adhesive in a 3M automix gun.
You have to heat the backer up to flatten it - it is POLYSTYRENE - if you burn it smells like a MODEL CAR so I know it's PS.
To flatten it, I used large clamps and a flat piece of 1/4 which I drilled holes in to accept the studs.
After it's back into the correct shape - 
Then you heat the cover 200 deg or so and stretch it back over the lip using duck billed sheet metal pliars, gluing it and clamping it into place for the next few hours.

Honestly it is a PITA... I have done a 2nd gen one as well and the best way is to mount it in the car with the windshield out and everything gutted and shape it that way.
James

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2019, 12:08:15 PM »

FOR CONSOLE CARS YES... this car has no console.
Ahhh.... Good catch James. Thanks.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Semper Fi!

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2019, 03:06:32 AM »
A couple more parts pictures - the engine mount "lift kit" or "recall kit" bolts were mentioned a couple pages back. Here is a close up of the bolts, this being a recall installation I cannot guarantee that the correct parts were used but I'll let you all be the judge.