Author Topic: Family survivor 69 Camaro  (Read 59576 times)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Family survivor 69 Camaro
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 05:24:48 AM »
BTW while you would get many looks at any car show with a clean original like that, there are shows just for survivor type cars.

Also you could replace things as neccessary, just to keep it streetable. Ex : new bushings , tie rods , ball joints. It's a ton of fun to drive them, but they don't last forever, unless you maintain them.

Just my 2 cents. I am glad you are pondering all possibilities
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 06:50:31 PM »
A good steam cleaning of the engine bay would do wonders. Looking forward to the pics and details on this car.

Any tips on how to clean up the firewall without damaging the factory markings? Any definite "don't do" cleaners or methods?

As Gary mentioned, start very easy at first. Simple green diluted 50 percent with water in a spray bottle. Then another bottle with warm water to rinse. See what that does.

A hand held steam cleaner in the hands of someone with experience would make a big difference but you need to know what you are doing.  I would not use this car to gain experience. The key is getting the steam to remove the dirt and grime but not getting things too hot. Keep the cleaner moving and don’t linger in one spot too long.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 04:20:36 AM »
Here are a few of the requested detail pics. Let me know if not enough detail is coming through...a photographer I am not. Here is a link to the album to for the full resolution and pictures I did not post or are requests I received via PM. https://flic.kr/s/aHsmeFqB6B Flickr looks like it may be having an issue getting all of them into that album but I'll try fixing that in the morning.

General engine and plug wires. Also a few of the original distributor and coil. My dad has told me that a cam lobe went flat in the 80s and the cam was replaced so there are certainly a few things disturbed on the top of the engine. Obviously, the distributor in the engine right now is not original but the close ups are from the original. The car started great for 48 years but then the day I loaded it on the trailer to haul home it didn't. When I got it home I swapped in a known good distributor and coil and drove it like that. After inspecting the the original distributor I found some corrosion on the points so that was the likely culprit of not starting on the original parts. The original distributor cap was long gone but I'll let you guys be the judge on the rest of the distributor.

Fan clutch and fan. Looking for advice here, any tips on how to get it apart carefully? I was going to unbolt it from the pump hub and remove in one piece. What pictures do you want to see when it is off the engine?

Dipstick

Best I can get of the motor mounts for now. Don't mind the Motorcraft filter grandpa put on it at some point.....

Original jack. The t-shape lug wrench looks like a home weld job but is the other one original?

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 05:16:03 AM »
The Motorcraft fuel filter must be a option?? ::)
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 01:43:27 PM »
I'm a guy that drives a modified Camaro but would not modify that one. Very nice car. I would clean it up and enjoy it as is. Or if you absolutely have to just do mods that can be easily undone.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 01:49:50 PM »
Most of us here feel the same, that original Camaros should be kept original (if possible), and several of us have stated so in posts...  but it's his car, and he has his dream (which he may have lived with for a long time)... For the rest of us, we can only think that his doing so will make our own original cars even MORE rare... and commiserate with song...  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=232naAvYiGY

09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 03:56:48 PM »
Most of us here feel the same, that original Camaros should be kept original (if possible), and several of us have stated so in posts...  but it's his car, and he has his dream (which he may have lived with for a long time)... For the rest of us, we can only think that his doing so will make our own original cars even MORE rare...

It s funny you mention that. I was out yesterday, driving my white 69, and had a few people give me a head nod, or say "nice car". This got me to thinking. These people are not saying nice car because it is a Z/28, they are saying this because it is a old car, and maybe they recognize it as a Camaro. I don't often see first gen camaros driving around.(even in my mild climate). I think so many guys have fixed them up, they must be afraid to drive them often. And the other majority have them torn apart in their garage and they remain in project stage for a decade or more. I would say the smallest majority actually drive their cars on a daily basis.

To me there is a certain value in being able to daily drive these cars, and keep them on the road. This car looks to be a car that has been daily driven, and presents as such in the pics. I love seeing cars, that are drivers, whether plain jane, SS, Pace car, what ever.

Sure some of us live in areas with 4 seasons and cannot have them safely on the road as much, (I get that).

I just wish more classic car owners just maintained and drove them. The cars are going to outlive us, who are we preserving them for?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 05:46:46 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post pics. I think we can all agree the site appreciates refrence material. I will enjoy watching progress with your build.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

ALLZS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
would like to see some good detailed  pictures of the  PBT stamps on the left & right of the firewall  thanks also great car

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 01:52:48 AM »
Just 4 bolts and the fan is off. I'm mostly interested if there are #'s on the fan blades and a pic of the clutch.
Flattened end dip stick.
What's the overall length of the lug wrench?
Yup, pics of some parts will be when you take things apart.
Kurt S
CRG

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 07:22:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing some great pics and taking the time to share. Whatever you do enjoy and know it will always present fond memories. Grandma knew what she was doing. :)
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 04:12:42 AM »
Was out of town for work this week but got a couple things done around the house and garage today. Reminder that the link to the Flickr album is earlier in the thread.

Here is the fan and clutch. Also, there are some pictures of the four bolts from fan hub to water pump/pulley. I've had a few inquiries about them as well.

Kurt, I see no numbers on the blades but may not be looking in the right spot. Where should I look? Do I need to take the fan and clutch apart for that? I was waiting on doing that until posting the pictures here.

The last O in Ohio is there, just a bit faint and not coming through in pictures well.

Total length of lug wrench:

Here is the flat end of the dipstick a bit closer:

I'll be getting caught up on PM questions tonight too.

gma_camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2018, 04:18:28 AM »
If anyone wants specific pictures in the engine bay, I will be taking the following things off in the next week.

Radiator, shroud, and all hoses (hoses and clamps are not original)
Carb
Plug wires are off
General wiring harness (I will not cut it while taking it out)
I may get around to dropping the gas tank too

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 05:02:54 AM »
Some factory fans didn't have a stamped number or date code, but those usually have 'H' and 'FRONT' stamped near the mounting holes.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
Kurt, I see no numbers on the blades but may not be looking in the right spot. Where should I look? Do I need to take the fan and clutch apart for that? I was waiting on doing that until posting the pictures here.

Here are a couple of photos of mine, showing where the numbers on the fan are stamped...  EAch fan blade is stamped in the identical location on each.  There should also be a date code (H69) on mine.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

anything