Author Topic: Amazing 69 Z/28 Survivor  (Read 227056 times)

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: Amazing 69 Z/28 Survivor
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2014, 12:31:59 AM »
Chick, thank you very much for posting the rear stripe pictures! It does seem to be a neater masking job along the bottom edge than perhaps I expected, but the way the paint coverage reduces further into the weatherstrip channel on the pinstripe (your first picture) is exactly what I was looking for; perhaps by this late stage of NOR production, they had refined the optimum masking technique.
Love that car!
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2014, 04:35:45 AM »
Awesome car, thanks for sharing.  This can be very helpful to many.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

asm69

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2014, 08:15:19 PM »
great information. Is the hurst T-hanlde also original to the car,or was it installed by dealer or owner?

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2014, 08:25:22 PM »
great information. Is the hurst T-hanlde also original to the car,or was it installed by dealer or owner?

Camaros were never originally equipped with a hurst T-handle. They had a chrome ball
on console equipped cars, and black shifter ball with shift pattern on cars without a console.

Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2014, 09:30:57 PM »
Nice work Chick, would love to see more detailed photos of this important find (and who better to take them!).  Thought it was interesting to see the cowl air cleaner is a ridged bottom version.  There has been much debate if any of the ridged bottom actually made it into late production cars (vs service part) or if they were all flat bottomed.  I think this benchmark car provides some clarity. 

Azure1969Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2014, 10:48:08 PM »
Looks like the original chrome shift ball sitting on the console.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2014, 12:47:22 AM »
Nice work Chick, would love to see more detailed photos of this important find (and who better to take them!).  Thought it was interesting to see the cowl air cleaner is a ridged bottom version.  There has been much debate if any of the ridged bottom actually made it into late production cars (vs service part) or if they were all flat bottomed.  I think this benchmark car provides some clarity. 
Agree 100% except for the "who better to take them"...... :) Car is a true benchmark IMHO....
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2014, 12:48:54 AM »
Looks like the original chrome shift ball sitting on the console.
Yep, as I had mentioned in an earlier post the original shifter ball was there. It will be put back on!
OK, have some engine pics to post soon!
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2014, 03:17:25 AM »
Gorgeous car. What a neat deal to get to be a part of Chick
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2014, 03:53:01 AM »
Nice work Chick, would love to see more detailed photos of this important find (and who better to take them!).  Thought it was interesting to see the cowl air cleaner is a ridged bottom version.  There has been much debate if any of the ridged bottom actually made it into late production cars (vs service part) or if they were all flat bottomed.  I think this benchmark c

Unless I've missed some proof that the cowl induction system was factory original on this car, that is an assumption re the 'ridged bottom'...  Just as the owner installed the Hurst shifter knob, he might have also installed the hood..  unless we have *proof* that it was factory original?   I haven't yet seen such proof...?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

rszmjt

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2014, 04:07:25 AM »
Nice work Chick, would love to see more detailed photos of this important find (and who better to take them!).  Thought it was interesting to see the cowl air cleaner is a ridged bottom version.  There has been much debate if any of the ridged bottom actually made it into late production cars (vs service part) or if they were all flat bottomed.  I think this benchmark

Unless I've missed some proof that the cowl induction system was factory original on this car, that is an assumption re the 'ridged bottom'...  Just as the owner installed the Hurst shifter knob, he might have also installed the hood..  unless we have *proof* that it was factory original?   I haven't yet seen such proof...?

If the hood has a production date stamped in the rear driver side , then chances are it's a ZL2 car. I believe it to be real, Nice looking car. Kudos to your friend Chick!

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2014, 04:25:09 AM »
I saw the pop, but was there any dealer invoice or any other docs that might show the factory options on this car?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »
Nice work Chick, would love to see more detailed photos of this important find (and who better to take them!).  Thought it was interesting to see the cowl air cleaner is a ridged bottom version.  There has been much debate if any of the ridged bottom actually made it into late production cars (vs service part) or if they were all flat bottomed.  I think this benchmark c

I really debated whether or not to even comment on your response Gary and will only state not sure how a shift knob change relates to a hood/air cleaner change but it does relate to how the owner kept everything. Think about it, he kept the original shift knob, battery & even the 2nd one, all 5 tires, etc. Major items like the smog set up never removed, same owner since new, etc.. The last thing I want to get into is debating about "he might have also installed the hood.. unless we have proof that it was factory original?" Have a great day!
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2014, 12:30:30 PM »
Chick,  it's a GREAT car..  there's absolutely no doubt!  I'm sorry you took offense to my post, but it had nothing to do with the quality of the car!  The fact that the owner changed the shift knob only points out that HE like 99% of Z28 owners was open minded about putting something he liked better on the car?   Did the owner special order the car?  Did he buy it off the lot?  Is there original sales paperwork?  Is there a date code on the hood?   If any of this has been posted previously, then I apologize for I hadn't seen it...

The ONLY point to my post was that Edgemont made a conclusion about a 'ridged bottom' aircleaner (which there HAS been a tremendous amount of debate over for years) based on it being on this super car, WITHOUT a single previous post being made about the hood or it's originality to the car!  that's it.   As rgt said, if the hood has the date code on it consistent with the car, and nothing else is 'out of place' re the ZL2 option, then I too would agree that the air cleaner is LIKELY the original one for that car...    that's it.

MY Only point was that he drew a conclusion based on no evidence at all so far....
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2014, 12:57:13 PM »
Chick I was going to comment on that as well. How you can relate a shift knob change to a hood replacement is well beyond a real stretch. (BTW as noted the original shift knob was clearly visible in the photo). The orig owner kept just about every part he ever replaced including the original tires. Now look at the facts presented from the pictures regarding the hood; orig hood insulation, original solenoid(assembly line correct), cowl wiring looks original with correct strain reliefs. From what I can see the entire car looks like a time capsule. Also I have documented several late car with the ridged bottom cowl air cleaner so to me there is no debate. Remember the 70 Chevelle SS was also in production at the time this car was produced and could be optioned with the same air cleaner. I believe all 70 chevelles that were equipped with cowm air cleaner have been documented with the ridged bottom.

To throw far fetched theories out there without any evidence or research serves no purpose and does a disservice to this benchmark car. The more I see of this car, the more excited I am to have an opportunity to Vintage Certify it in the future. The car has a great caretaker who will share the car with all of us. A lot of lessens can be learned from the pictures provided.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

anything