Author Topic: 69 Z/28 Barn Find??  (Read 40697 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: 69 Z/28 Barn Find??
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »
Interesting...as of this morning it looks like the car was taken off eBay......
This listing (171242694494) has been removed, or this item is not available

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2014, 05:36:49 PM »
Thats what happens when someone hijacks your auction. Good eyes CRG
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2014, 01:34:05 AM »
Here is an update to this car and I hope it is the last we see of it.
  As was brought to the attention of CRG about the sale reappearing for a third time and for much less than the supposedly ~$51,000 selling price of the previous two auctions, I decided to send the seller ( eBay ID: banksjune ) on Feb 14th an email through eBay inquiring if the $28,500 price was in error. If not in error then I would have certainly driven to see the car and inspect it with an appraiser for that price.
  I received a reply from a person purportedly to be a Lt General <name withheld> in the USAF on Feb 15th.  The email exchanges ceased after my last email to him (see below). I have even reached out to the vendor (diesel-truck-king) who advertised the Camaro for sale explaining the situation and if the car was really sold. I have not received any replies from that vendor in days and yet I see he/she is giving recent feedbacks so someone is ‘home’.
  Interesting enough is when you look at the relisted eBay auction for this car, it has a winning bid of $51,100 from an eBay id of v***g and yet when you look at the feedback on diesel-truck-king profile the buyer ID is now p***a  for $51,100 and not v***g (see attached images). I understand eBay hides the full names but do they show them differently between bid history and feedback?
Below is my email to diesel-truck-king:
Hello,

Recently you had a 1969 Z-28 'Barn Find' Camaro for sale. It was listed twice and both times had a buyer for approximately $50K. I figured the first time there was buyer remorse so they backed out. I had seen the ad listed for a 3rd time late last week for a $28K price and the same VIN. The eBay link is no longer valid which is unusual even for sold items. I had sent the seller a question verifying the $28K selling price and he replied to me and is looking to sell the car. Something doesn't feel right about this recent communication which is why I am reaching out to you. Was this car sold?

Thank you,
Mike

Anyhow…to show you the correspondence of my email exchanges with the alleged USAF person, read on below. Out of respect for the real person whose name was used in this obvious scam attempt, I have removed the name. Interesting enough, all email was sent to my yahoo account instead of my eBay account, which was my first red flag.
The second flag is the different fonts used in each reply and sentence structure. My third reply is when all communications stopped from this person.

Below is the email thread with the earliest at the top. Check out the URL for the photos and see it was an anonymous upload:
> Hello,
>  
> My name is <name withheld>
> and I would like to thank you for contacting me regarding
> the 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 DZ 302 Trim that I
> have for sale on eBay.
>
> Few
> details about the car:
> Original Mileage:
> 22326
> Vehicle Title: Clear
> Transmission: Manual
> Engine: 5.0
> DZ-302
> Exterior
> Color: Burgundy
> Interior Color: Black
> VIN: 124379N625163
> Photos: http://www.use.com/6242ca218ba599cc7d8a
> The full
> price for the car will be $28500 and I will only deliver the
> car as I am located at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson,
> Alaska and can't meet you. The car is located in
> Alexandria, VA at the delivery company. The delivery taxes
> are included in the price.I would like this transaction to
> be done through eBay.Let me know if this is ok for you and I
> will offer you more details about the sale.
>  
> Thank
> you
> Lt. Gen. <name withheld>
>
> P.S. This car has been owned by
> my son who died by cancer and I want to sell it kind of
> cheap in his memory.

My reply:
> Hello Mr. <name withheld>,
>
> Thank you for replying to my inquiry. I'm sorry to hear about your son's passing.
> I had seen this lovely car on eBay under Item number: 221357939653 in January.
> I'm a little confused as what happened to cause the bid to close and reappear again this past week.
> This is the same car VIN in the two ads. Would I be able to inspect it with an appraiser at the delivery location?
>
> Thank you,
> Mike XXXXXXX

His second reply:
Hello again,

The truck is already at the delivery company in Alexandria, VA crated and ready for delivery. I have setup this sale with eBay so this deal must go through them.
Unfortunately I'm not near you so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my truck on internet.
In order to complete this deal the payment must be sent to eBay. As soon as they receive the payment will notify me to start with delivery. The delivery cost is included in the price. The delivery company is DAS (dependable auto shippers)
eBay will not release the payment to me until you receive and inspect the truck (you have 10 days for inspection). If the truck is not in same condition as I said you will ship it back on my expense and eBay will send you a full refund. But I assure you won't be the case. Now, if you are serious about this and want to move forward, just mail me back with:
- Your Full Name - Required by eBay (You'll receive important guidelines + payment instructions from them.)
- Your Delivery Address and Phone Number
As soon as I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay and declare you as the buyer. They will contact you with further information regarding payment and delivery.

Thanks you
Lt. Gen. <name withheld>

PS:The truck comes with all the documents ( title, bill of sale, full service records, etc.) It has a clear title in my name. The title will be signed into your name as soon as the payment will be sent to eBay.

My third reply:
Hello Mr. <name withheld>,

I'm somewhat confused about this cars recent selling history which I'm sure you can clarify.
I had seen this eBay ad in January as eBay item number :221357939653
( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Camaro-Z-28-1969-chevrolet-camaro-z-28-dz-302-s-matching-22-k-actual-miles-rare-no-reserve-/221357939653?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3389f61bc5&item=221357939653&pt=US_Cars_Trucks ) and it looks like it ended Jan 26th due to a winning bid of $52,200.

It was re-listed again under eBay item number: 221365150446 ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=221365150446 ) and ended Feb 9th with a winning bid of $51,100.
 It then reappeared as eBay item: 171242694494 ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Camaro-Z-28-1969-CHEVROLET-CAMARO-Z28-DZ-302-s-MATCHING-/171242694494?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27dedc275e&item=171242694494&pt=US_Cars_Trucks) which is when I asked you a question about the price. This latest URL no longer appears to go to the link to the car for sale.

Your second reply mentions about selling your truck (instead of the Camaro Z-28). Can you post the current eBay link to the Camaro that is supposed to be used for the transaction?

Thank You,
Mike XXXXXX

****************************** end of emails ********************

Below are screen shots of the bid history and feedback I mentioned above.

Ah yes….As the old saying goes…."if it looks too good to be true….."
Mike

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2014, 03:36:47 PM »
A lot of scammers are now trying to come off as being military to add credibility to their scam. I was playing with a scumbag selling a John Deere farm tractor who claimed to be a LtCol in the Corps. I could tell right off they were full of it. Man I wish I could have met them in person... Couldn't have afforded the trip to Nigeria though lol
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2014, 11:27:49 PM »
.......and then there is this......

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/03/21/pristine-167-chevrolet-corvette-found-in-garage-to-be-auctioned/?intcmp=trending

"This 47 year-old car didn’t just run when it was parked a quarter century ago, it practically still had that new car smell.
A 1967 Chevrolet Corvette with just 2,996 miles on the odometer and one of the most interesting tales to tell is going on sale at the Mecum Auctions Houston event in April.

The 427/390 hp V8-powered coupe was purchased in 1966 by 30-year-old Don McNamara of Colorado Springs, with $5,000 he won on a trip he made to Las Vegas to celebrate his retirement from the U.S. Marines.

For a few months afterward, the very private McNamara was occasionally seen tooling around town in the distinctive white two-door with its red “stinger” stripe on the hood, but soon it disappeared and was never spotted again -- until 2011, when McNamara died and left his estate to his neighbors, who discovered the car parked in his garage under a shipping blanket festooned with American and Marine Corps flags.[/td][/tr][/table]Though he’d told anyone who asked that he didn’t own the car anymore, it turned out that McNamara had been secretly driving it at night, having decided not to pay the title and license renewal fees after his first year of ownership. The man who never had a credit card or checking account apparently saw this as his personal version of pure American freedom.

According to Mecum, McNamara finally parked it for good in the mid-1980s, having been the only person who ever drove it. Only two others had sat behind the wheel, and the passenger seat was never used. It’s never been in the rain; it's never been washed with water.

The couple that inherited it sold it in 2012 to Dr. Mark Davis, a collector who has displayed it at a few events and is now sending it across the block in Houston. There’s no telling what it is worth.

According to the Hagerty price guide, a typical top condition 1967 427 Corvette with a 4-speed manual goes for around $114,000, but this one is far from typical.
Along with the extremely low miles, it comes with the original window sticker and documentation, plus McNamara’s driver’s license and other artifacts related to his ownership of the car.

If a picture of this car is worth 1,000 words, the whole kit and caboodle should be enough write a novel with.

And with a backstory like this, someone probably will.”[/
b]i]
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Mike S

• View Profile

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2014, 01:24:49 AM »
 I had read about this a few months ago. Very cool story and car, will be interesting to see what it brings.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2014, 02:26:49 AM »
Unrestored seems to be the hot button right now, almost no matter what the make and model. Even 4 doors believe it or not in nice original shape have been getting some good coin.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2014, 03:35:19 AM »
Unrestored seems to be the hot button right now, almost no matter what the make and model. Even 4 doors believe it or not in nice original shape have been getting some good coin.

It's about time. Maybe it will slow some of these restorations down a bit...although I don't think it will. Some people out there can't afford those extremely high prices the restored cars command but can afford a decent driver. I have quite a few friends that had decent cars when they were younger but can only find them restored or too far gone to be street-able. Your either rich or poor these days, nothing in between.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2014, 03:40:06 AM »
Amen. Those with money seem to be a smaller sample size than the ones without -
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2014, 04:23:32 AM »
I use to think I was upper middle class up to about 2000, but in reality it's more lower middle class now. Boy, I can't wait to see what it's going to be like when I OFFICIALLY retire in 2 years. I'm semi retired now and it sucks.  :o ::)
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2014, 03:59:01 PM »
I use to think I was upper middle class up to about 2000, but in reality it's more lower middle class now. Boy, I can't wait to see what it's going to be like when I OFFICIALLY retire in 2 years. I'm semi retired now and it sucks.  :o ::)

I'm in the same boat, except that retirement is getting farther away rather than closer. I'll have to work 'till I'm 90 to pay off the college bills and eveything else - then maybe I can restart my "hobby" (also read as "affliction").
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2014, 09:37:55 PM »
I use to think I was upper middle class up to about 2000, but in reality it's more lower middle class now. Boy, I can't wait to see what it's going to be like when I OFFICIALLY retire in 2 years. I'm semi retired now and it sucks.  :o ::)

I'm in the same boat, except that retirement is getting farther away rather than closer. I'll have to work 'till I'm 90 to pay off the college bills and eveything else - then maybe I can restart my "hobby" (also read as "affliction").

Both of you are correct....almost behooves you to plan for a retirement "career"  I work with quite a few younger medical professionals in a sideline career, all of them say between 6 figure student loans ,trying to start a family...money really is not available to put a substantial amount away for retirement. They see it as a pipe dream.

Like probably quite a few on this site ,my car's not for sale, but could never really justify buying it what it's worth...hypothetically speaking. Tax time ,always puts me in a foul mood!
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..