Author Topic: 69 Z/28 Barn Find??  (Read 40692 times)

6667ss138

• View Profile
69 Z/28 Barn Find??
« on: January 24, 2014, 06:37:24 AM »
Its amazing how many of these "Original Z/28 Barn Finds" are popping up these days.
I wonder if that old house/barn in the pictures is where they found it.  ::)
Its supposedly going to sell at no reserve to the highest bidder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Camaro-Z-28-1969-chevrolet-camaro-z-28-dz-302-s-matching-22-k-actual-miles-rare-no-reserve-/221357939653?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3389f61bc5&item=221357939653&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: 69 Z/28 Barn Find??
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 06:48:32 AM »
I looked it over when it popped up on ebay. I asked him if he had any involvement with the added hood and spoilers. I didn't get any response.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 06:57:05 AM »
Yeah, I noticed the same thing along with other issues that it has for such an original low mileage barn find car.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 01:22:51 PM »
  What I find funny is how it is photographed with an abandoned house in the background. I guess that is a means of subliminal stimuli to promote the car.
I'm going to take my 67 with 58000 miles on it, roll back the speedo (easy to do on the old cars BTW) and
put it in front of my barn shaped shed with some plastic cows in the background and open an ad of my own Barn Find with 18000 miles.  :D
Maybe I'm being cynical, but it seems that the new buzz word today with old cars is...barn finds.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 01:56:13 PM »
Must be the homeless who occupied the vacant structure took good care of the car---usually what you find in these places ,and met labs--low mileage 69 Z's are rare indeed.

Rear quarters and underneath are pretty clean for an old drag car. Funny mine had stone chips and a sheen of burnt rubber..
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 01:58:59 PM »
The only way I go that money for a barn is if I found it myself.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 02:28:09 PM »
These "Barn Find" ads that you see so often anymore are laughable. Kind of makes you want to find a cool old barn, ask permission to park your car in there for a few hours, take some pictures and someday if you decide to sell. Bingo! Ca Ching!
Of course they use the term "Barn Find" very loosely these days. I think if it was bought or had been stored in a garage, storage unit, in someone's back yard or an old business they call it a "Barn Find"

I know that finding a classic in an old barn has happened but just not this often.
I personally know of a guy just last year that was driving out in a rural farm area just a few miles north of me. The guy was looking for antiques. He saw an old farm with several out buildings and barn. He stopped to ask the old gentleman if he could look around and he said yes. He went into the barn and with a mountain of dust and an old tire on the hood he found a 1962 Impala SS 409, 4spd, convertible. It hadn't been driven since the 70's. It had the original paint, interior, everything. The mice and rats had done there usual damage. I've seen the pictures when he found it and before he pulled it out and after he pulled it out and loaded it up on the trailer. He cleaned it up and the paint was still in very good condition. The old farmer sold it to him for somewhere around $5000.
So it does happen but just very, very rarely.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 02:54:57 PM »
Must be the homeless who occupied the vacant structure took good care of the car---usually what you find in these places ,and met labs--low mileage 69 Z's are rare indeed.

Rear quarters and underneath are pretty clean for an old drag car. Funny mine had stone chips and a sheen of burnt rubber..

Yeah, THAT barn was staffed with a crew of maintenance techs, including paint man, engine man, exhaust man, etc.. :)
For a factory 'cowl hood', there were a LOT of the factory parts missing... :)     the engine was painted black, so had obviously been out and seen some work, and I *think* I saw 'mill marks' as opposed to 'broach marks' on the stamped engine pad...
and based on the number of 'class win' stickers from ATCO (NJ?) Rose Rita Sloan must have been one of the better lady drivers around... and only drove the car to/from the drag strip..?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 02:58:41 PM »
Interesting to note that the vin stamped on the trans is one digit off of the cars vin.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 03:10:09 PM »
Im not saying its bs or legit.  But there are certainly several things about the car that raises an eyebrow.  Its obvious things were added and changed out, freshened up etc.  Car has also been repainted or touched up.  You can see over spray or sanding dust in the trunk on the corner marker lights and wheel well humps.

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 03:36:30 PM »
Im not saying its bs or legit.  But there are certainly several things about the car that raises an eyebrow.  Its obvious things were added and changed out, freshened up etc.  Car has also been repainted or touched up.  You can see over spray or sanding dust in the trunk on the corner marker lights and wheel well humps.

There is a lot of overspray. Krylon and Earl Sheib (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Scheib) would be proud!!

I want to comment on the build date, 3E. This must have been a time when parts shortages where prevalent. I say this because I, too, have a 3E car (Yellow). 1st, according to the CRG production # by month chart, the last March car was 623587. This car (Ebay) is 1576 past that #, my car is almost 5000 units past that #! This illustrates, just because your tag has a certain date, it does not always correlate with the calendar date exactly(I believe it says this in the CRG report). 2nd, the drivetrain components,their dates are very close to car's build date(I am not trying to say anything is right or wrong, just an observation). Eng= 3/28, Rear = 3/31, whereas my car's rear is 4/07!! Think about how close these components are compared to the trim tags and Vin next time you're questioning whether an axle or whatever can be that close to the build date. 3rd, and last, I wonder why sell date (7-3) is almost 3 months after build date, could have been a sales demo? Just an observation.
Oh, and one other thing, I very much dislike the "barn find "over usage/mis-usage prevalent these days. Barn find can mean many different things depending where you are from. Just down the road, in Lexington,Ky (where thoroughbreds for the derby are raised) a barn can be a multi-million dollar edifice, much nicer than the majority of homes in this country and cleaner and warmer (right now). Here, where I live in S.W. Ohio, Appalachia, tobacco growing country, a barn is more of an open air shack with weathered siding,Rock foundation, tin roof, and dirt floor and mostly open to the elements and critters. A year or so in my barn, you would be sweeping up your car with a dust pan,lol. Although, I have seen some cool stuff found around these parts, just not in the best of shape though. My point, all around the country, barn find can mean different things and conjure up different images, but barn find to me usually would indicate a pretty rough car needing rust repair (moisture), paint (droppings from birds,coons etc...), and interior (mice, mold) and all rubber dry rotted as well.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 03:58:46 PM by ko-lek-tor »
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 04:28:37 PM »
yup, my "barn" was built in 2006 ,concrete floor ,insulated/heated with a cat on duty for mouse control. So I guess when the car is  done I should have a professional photographer shoot pics of it in front of the dilapidated one down the street, and headline it " N/E Ohio Barn Find"

I really do not mind the sale's pitch, always buyer beware, just getting way overused. Takes away from the mystic of the true ones out there ,mouse turds and all.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 05:38:08 PM »
"barn find", and "survivor" are very loosely used these days, but catch buyers eyes (including mine). I stopped describing my car as a survivor, because of all over usage and marketing that surrounds the "survivor" tag these days. Unrestored is bland enough to cover my car. :)

As far as a barn or older building in a pic with my car. I have seen a couple of cool looking older barns that I thought would be a cool, one had a decent lean to it. It wouldn't be for the purpose of selling the car, just as a cool photo op for my own collection of pics.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 05:39:14 PM »
I want to comment on the build date, 3E. This must have been a time when parts shortages where prevalent. I say this because I, too, have a 3E car (Yellow). 1st, according to the CRG production # by month chart, the last March car was 623587. This car (Ebay) is 1576 past that #, my car is almost 5000 units past that #! This illustrates, just because your tag has a certain date, it does not always correlate with the calendar date exactly(I believe it says this in the CRG report). 2nd, the drivetrain components,their dates are very close to car's build date(I am not trying to say anything is right or wrong, just an observation). Eng= 3/28, Rear = 3/31, whereas my car's rear is 4/07!! Think about how close these components are compared to the trim tags and Vin next time you're questioning whether an axle or whatever can be that close to the build date. 3rd, and last, I wonder why sell date (7-3) is almost 3 months after build date, could have been a sales demo? Just an observation.
....   other portions deleted..
You bring up an interesting point, AND it raises a *further goodie* of taking advantage of the NCRS' (soon to be provided) material on *actual production build date*.... :)   This one point would be worth the $50 when attempting to confirm a part as being 'possible' for your car...  and I think I just convinced myself of the advantage of purchasing the info, even if we already know the dealer/etc (as I do for my car)...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 06:19:42 PM »
I think unrestored is a great term, to the point--period. (Unrestored gem sounds pretty good in your case !)

anything