Author Topic: Racing AMX Information  (Read 112696 times)

group/7

• View Profile
Re: Racing AMX Information
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2013, 01:00:48 AM »
klvn8r, hope you are back on your pins soon ! you mentioned in one of your posts about the hennig javelin, I found a number of photos I think on the VIR site, four in colour, in three of which it appears bronze or copper, and one where it is red, white and blue, top to bottom. and two in b&w.you most likely know them. if not I could send them to you. was this a kaplan built car ? it looks really clean.

mike in canada

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2013, 05:00:23 PM »
Yes, I hope your recovery goes smoothly Craig.

As for the Randall AMX, I see some things that are compelling and some things that seem to warrant a little more research. To go purely off pictures and not look at the car in person or talk to the current owners seems like a lost opportunity to really nail things down. That's my take on it. I do want things to stay civil here so if everyone could respect that, it would be greatly appreciated.
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2013, 06:28:13 PM »
Came home yesterday.....just beating the big ice storm.  Mid 20s now and ice everywhere....wife and kids home too, so its kinda busy. 
As for the AMX's, the only one of these that I know anything about, is the TEAM car, because I spent some time with Jim Alexander while at an AMO National Convention.  He was interested in talking with me as I vintage race a 68 AMX, and he was helping a buddy run an MG in some vintage events as well.   I'm just pointing out what Alexander told me PERSONALLY, its not third-hand information to me.....but I can see how it is questionable from another perspective.  When Jim said that he and Phil Toney went out there LOOKING for the car and it was reported to them "it must be gone/crushed..."   Well, that's my take on it.  Jim and Phil were two of the lead men on the whole project, and I would assume to be the most familiar with the car and its construction.  If Randall did keep it for awhile after getting it from Brooker, I can see it receiving updates etc, and that would be great.  I'd love to see it saved and restored to TEAM status, trust me, there's not alot of 'historic' AMC stuff out there, and what is still out there, well, I have some opinions on some of these cars too.  Unfortunately, these hi$toric car$ have become very desirable, so sometimes having a 'better story' makes a car more pricey.  I think you know what I'm trying to say.... (On a side note, I think its funny that Camaro and Mustang stuff has become so 'valuable' that AMCs have suddenly attained a level of 'cool' that didn't exist 15 years ago...)    Steve, if you do happen to make it out to Randall, I'd love to hear and see what you uncover.  I think there are probably SEVERAL treasures of AMC loot out there.  If you do determine that it is the car and can buy it, please restore it to its 1969 glory and RACE it!

PS--now that I'm home, I'll try to look at the pics more closely on a real screen, not a silly little phone.  I think you might have some valid points here...  As for the Canada cars, I'd love to hear more....my AMX came out of White Rock, B.C.

klvn8r

Shadow Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2013, 10:00:53 PM »
I'm glad Jon and Craig weighed in today. Something has really been up my rear lately and I apologize for looking at things the way I have as of late. Craig, I'm sorry about the things I've assumed about you. I'm still working on my rough around the edges quirks that i allow to pop up still sometimes.

Jon, I apologize to you as well for acting like a three year old. 12 is fine, that is my general maturity level ( according to my wife - and I gleefully agree ) but three is a little retrograde, even for me.

Mike, I hope you keep asking questions, I am doing what I can regarding your questions and I imagine Craig or Javelin GT ( Adam?) can add to things Kaplan.

This stuff is important to get right. I do agree that what happened to the TEAM car needs ascertaining. I have my reasons and background for why I state and still state that the two b&w photos of the car known as the TEAM AMX are two photos of the same car separated by modifications and probably three years.

If I get the invite, the first items I'll check will be inspection stamps on the main roll bar uprights, if the original exists. The next thing will be to look at key chassis areas, where, even if stripping is throroughly done, original paint remants remain. According to James Alexander, the TEAM car started out as a body in white. Only one other period AMX has a similar background, that I am aware of, and that is the Bruce Morehead ( the "Sebring" AMX ) two-seater. Cars like the Bannerman Express are question marks in that regard.

If the car still exists and it is still equipped with some of the cosmetic markers that are unique to it in racing circles, such as the "Big Badesque" drilled front bumper ( the only road race two seater AMX that I ever saw with that chrome bumper strip and then raced from new), the way the hood fits above both front fenders, the X brace behind the grille, evidence of the removed central vertical support bar in front of the grille( giving the TEAM car in original photos a Javelin look ) the location and style of the hood pins, the factoryesque instrument panel with twin vents up top, evidence that a lightened passenger seat was mounted at one time, the prominent factory style torque links, and the probable, if it is assigned, 290, 4-speed VIN among other things that are unique, such as the rear window straps and how far apart they are, then alot of questions and differing perspectives can be put to bed.

SA

Ps  If it is there, and it's "the one", if they are willing, then we'll explore the possibility of changing ownership. Those are big "ifs". First things first.
     Finding it.

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2013, 06:27:44 AM »
The guy who just sold the 68 camaro race car on ebay, also has a 69 AMX roller listed on ebay.

Robert Barg

Shadow Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2013, 08:12:06 AM »
I'd like to know the story behind the white engine bay on the early production '69. That Camaro looked mighty tempting.

Steve

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2013, 04:47:35 PM »
steve, thanks for your replies on questions to do with the dewar javelin, and the hunter pirahna AMX. my friend adam from whom the javelin & bannerman AMX photos came from, has many more images that he will slowly digitize. something to look forward to !

mike group/7

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2013, 04:49:57 PM »
That roller AMX could be pretty nice with a '69 Z28 drivetrain. :)
(don't shoot me..  I'm just biased.. ) :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Shadow Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2013, 07:01:22 PM »
Let's look at it this way. That Z-28 that sold on Ebay would have been that much more nice with an AMC 343, T-10, and AMC 20 rear installed. ;) I'm all for equality. ;D

Steve

Shadow Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2013, 07:06:52 PM »
steve, thanks for your replies on questions to do with the dewar javelin, and the hunter pirahna AMX. my friend adam from whom the javelin & bannerman AMX photos came from, has many more images that he will slowly digitize. something to look forward to !

mike group/7

My pleasure. When it comes to the Javelin you asked about, I think Craig should add what he knows because I think that he's on to something with a possible 3rd Kaplan Javelin. If Adam ( Javelin GT ) could get on this too we might really find some fascinating stuff because he's talked with both Kaplan and Martin if my memory is correct.

Steve

Shadow Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2013, 11:15:15 PM »
I'd like to know the story behind the white engine bay on the early production '69. That Camaro looked mighty tempting.

Steve

I see now why the bay is white. The whole car was white at one point. It looks pretty decent and it's a fairly well appointed one. It's a Go-Pac model:
- 343 4V or 390 4V Engine
- Power front disc brakes
- Special-duty handling package
- Twin-Grip rear axle differential
- Heavy-duty engine cooling system
- Red-line Polyglass tires and 6 inch rim wheels
- Over-the-top Racing Stripe

Interesting that it has what looks like manual steering and though the driver mirror is remote it doesn't look like there was a passenger mirror so this probably does not have the optional "visibility group". It does have power brakes though. And the inflatable spare option. The Matador Red exterior/charcoal interior is a desireable combination. This is an early '69, hence the aftermarket Competition Plus Hurst shifter arm in the trunk.

Steve

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2013, 05:18:18 AM »
I had wondered if it might have been white originally. Thanks for the rundown of how it was originally equipped. Looks to be a good, solid car.

I think that Kaplan for sure made at least three cars in '69 because I believe Don White's car that ran in Nascar GT was a Kaplan-built car.
Jon Mello
CRG

thegarageguy

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2013, 03:00:46 PM »
The Canuk AMX from the black and white Mosport photo.

Steve

This photo was taken by Paul Gulde at Mosport in 1969.

thegarageguy

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »
First off, thanks to Bob Barg for telling me about this thread!

Mike in Canada, thanks for posting Adam's pics of Bud's AMX, as these are new ones to me! As Bob mentioned, there are very few pictures of my Dad's car in action. He will love seeing these new ones.

I believe his car does still exist, but is in storage at the back of a shop somewhere in Ontario. The guy who owns it is a collector who keeps very quiet about it and refuses to talk with me because he knows I would love to own the car. One day perhaps it will see the light again!

Bud Tucker and Bob Tucker are two different people, who are unrelated. I have no knowledge of Bob.

anything