Author Topic: Racing AMX Information  (Read 112745 times)

group/7

• View Profile
Re: Racing AMX Information
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2013, 02:23:01 AM »
steve & klvn8tr, glad you are enjoying adam papp's photos, your welcome to post them on AMC threads if your on them. just credit adam for the pics. steve didn't mean to hijack the thread away from your original search for '70 AMX's ! adam also sent me two shots of gord dewars javelin at mosport aprox. 1969. if either of you are  your interested I can send them. very kind of jon to allow a thread on american motors race cars on a camaro site !

mike group/7 in ontario canada

Shadow Ahead

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2013, 02:35:25 AM »
indeed it is most kind of Jon. Ironic that on sites other than ones singlemindedly devoted to AMC's I've often found information and attitudes that reaffirm my faith in fellow mankind.
  You are by no means hijacking this thread. Though I started out looking for '70 racing AMX's look at pictures and history that cropped up in different but related directions! Yes, I would be most interested in any and all photos you are privvy to, includeing Javelins. Being a photographer myself, it is natural to give credit to the source of photos from other contributors. The T.E.A.M photo, for example was taken in 1969 by a member of one of the AMC boards. I simply cleaned that photo up so that the tire sponsor was clear. After searching I'm sure I can find his name.
   Regarding these black and white Mosport photos I feel like an investigator pulling the up the clues and in the middle of the hunt. Circling back to the comment about devoting a thread to AMC's on a Camaro site,  an interesting bit of Camaro related background is, my first two muscle cars were both '69 Z-28's.

Steve

Shadow Ahead

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2013, 04:15:51 AM »
I beleive the pic of the T.E.A.M AMX was taken by Ron Ackerman, a crew chief on the #83 T A Mustang. I will have to confirm that.
 I hit paydirt on one of the AMC sites- these pics are from Cory Randall, grandson in the Randall Racing empire. the next two phtos are back to back and pretty well confirm the genesis from employee run and owned TEAM AMX to Randall owned and raced in the TEAM paint scheme initially, and then in the signature angled vertical hashmark Randall theme:

In looking at other photos of other Randall race cars ( Javelin ) in the Randall pics it is becoming evident that the TEAM car was already in Randall ownership with the Stauffer Tire sponsorship color photo I provided from Ron.

Steve

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2013, 04:28:55 AM »
Steve, the main part of the roll cage does not appear to be of the same design between the two photos.
Jon Mello
CRG

Shadow Ahead

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2013, 04:32:13 AM »
Yes, it has been expanded upon. If you look closely you'll see the original triangulated tubes coming together under the new oval outer hoop. The car is really starting to look beat by '72? in the later photo.

Steve

Shadow Ahead

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2013, 04:42:27 AM »
http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/randallracing1710/media/CopyofRandallAmericanRacing1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=33

The two upper photos show the car in transition into the Randall fold. The left upper photo shows one of the Randalls in the racing suit. The right photo with Arizona desert in the background, also shows the number '8' on the door, instead of 6. It looks like all sponsorship decals have been removed.

As a point of interest, look closely at the b&w photos you first examined. In the top photo there is apiece of trim that forms the bottom of the grill surround at the top of the bumper. Now, when you examine the lower photo, what do you see at the very top of the bumper? Stock chrome AMX bumpers, with the exception of the factory "Big Bad" series cars with body color bumpers, had no trim piece on the bumper. Hence, no series of holes drilled in the top for the trim pice to attach to with backing pins and body speed washer/nuts.

Finally, look at preceeding and following pages related to the above hyperlink. The evidence is pretty compelling.

Steve

Shadow Ahead

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2013, 04:37:14 PM »
The hope here is that in the zest for showing the transformation of the TEAM car into the Randall car and the possibility that it still exists, that the momentum behind the Mosport AMX quest hasn't died. :(

Gentlemen? Gentlemen? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

Steve

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2013, 07:28:43 PM »
steve, interesting story on the randall car. I don't think the momentum with the mosport car has died. back in posts 12-15 on this thread, robert barg, who posts as "oldtransamdriver" talked about the tucker AMX. there were three different names bob, bud & gary, mentioned by him. I'm afraid to say I got a bit mixed up with it all ! maybe robert could clarify. robert I think also posts on the canadian motorsport history group. maybe he could inquire there. where the bannerman AMX, if it still exists ? is today. who knows.
  P:S..steve do you have any info about the "von-piranha" AMX run by ron hunter from colorado about 1969. I found two pictures somewhere, the car has a lot of scoops, but no cage. maybe it was only a slalom car ?

mike group/7

Shadow Ahead

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2013, 12:31:18 AM »
Mike, that car which was the basis for small run of cars outfitted with the "kit" of scoops has asmattering of info available between books and the 'net. Can I see the pics you have? In the interim I'll shake the bushes and see what drops down.

Steve

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2013, 05:23:49 AM »
Mike, you referred to a Bob Tucker racing for Bannerman Motors.  Most of us knew him as Bud.  Not sure of his real first name but can find out.  Gary Grant is his son "The Garage Blog".

Robert Barg

Shadow Ahead

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2013, 05:52:39 AM »
Mike,
 So far I found this:http://www.amx-perience.com/AMX_owners_101-110.php
 and go down to the fifth entry.

Steve

Shadow Ahead

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2013, 07:25:58 AM »
http://rmvr.com/assets/documents/ta2008-program.pdf - panels 7 & 9 will be of particular interest, Mike.

Steve

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2013, 11:44:20 PM »
Well, I'm sitting here in the hospital with a new hip, so I'll try to catch up a bit and interject.  After the 69 season, the TEAM car was sold and raced  by Brad Booker (or Brooker, not sure of spelling) for most of the year.  I recall something about Brooker saying "....the racecar had to go, or the wife was going to go....car lost."  And I'm pretty sure that he sold it to Randall.  I've got a pic of it at Green Valley Raceway in the pics, sporting No. 6 (not 60, like Knupp had).  I also recall Alexander telling me that Randall had a few racecars out there, but that they weren't the TEAM car.  Also, the TEAM car only had a 4 point bar, no 'cage'.   We were trying to keep it light.  (scary that some BB Vettes were the same way!)  Those later Randall pics also have some pretty good flares up front.

John, please feel free to email me any AMC stuff, I got lots of it.  Also, we might need to start a thread on the Bob Hennig Javelin....it ran IMSA and ASedan.  Lots of missing info on that car, and I have a few ideas about it.

klvn8r

Shadow Ahead

« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2013, 03:32:08 PM »
You know what they say about what you hear. Believe only half of what you see. So they say. I know which half I can see, unique details, which are there, do not lie. The two cars above are the same TEAM car. I did not come out of the blue and conclude this. This has culminated after years. And other photos. Many photos. And experience.

There is only one way to figure out if Randall still has the car or if they don't. I'm going out there. Would you like to join me?

S A

ps  after you have recovered -  get well first

Shadow Ahead

« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2013, 04:17:12 PM »
Wow. That was uncivil. Craig, everyone, my apologies. At the end of the day these are just pictures and what we think, well, what we think are ideas. Ideas shoudn't be shut down by closed minds. Like my own. Craig, I mean it, get well. Respect is respect and I didn't exhibit any in my comments above.

Steve