Author Topic: Order status "Echoes Of Norwood"  (Read 47384 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Order status "Echoes Of Norwood"
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 01:59:48 AM »
 Production output can vary as in the number of cars produced in a given period. Think about it, a batch of heavily RPO'd optioned cars should take more time to complete than lesser RPO option cars. Sure it can run constant as far as maintaining line worker efforts, but the net result will definitely vary as to how may cars per hour are produced even if planning is coordinated in an efficient way. The book discusses the planning to maintain a balance between under and over cycling. Interesting reading indeed.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 02:57:51 AM »
Wow! Always wanted to understand what it was like. Thanks so much. Just placed order!
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 03:33:26 AM »
Balancing station workload on the line is a constant issue, today and then.
Kurt S
CRG

festival78

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 05:25:40 PM »
I think we should look into and discuss the possibility that they may have painted the trim tags that got the white with a dusting of black at the end.. I have seen a lot of unrestored cars with just the letters showing white until its thoroughly cleaned.. maybe they hit it black again with a cheap spray bomb.. Just saying.. I'll see if I have any pictures to share with that look.. that would make sense if someone was concerned about The Styling.. because that makes sense.

festival78

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 05:36:54 PM »
Pix

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 05:39:20 PM »
Production output can vary as in the number of cars produced in a given period. Think about it, a batch of heavily RPO'd optioned cars should take more time to complete than lesser RPO option cars. Sure it can run constant as far as maintaining line worker efforts, but the net result will definitely vary as to how may cars per hour are produced even if planning is coordinated in an efficient way. Mike

Nope. Option workload/content/mix didn't affect output - the line ran at 57 per hour, every hour, every shift, with scheduling and manpower adjustments made to accommodate forecast variations. The line only stopped for mechanical breakdowns or emergencies.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

festival78

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 05:40:32 PM »
Can't vouch for originality for any of these pix but they are consistant with having black over some white.. the cars are NOT minty cars so I wonder why anyone would ever has dusted the tag aftersale

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 06:14:05 PM »
Production output can vary as in the number of cars produced in a given period. Think about it, a batch of heavily RPO'd optioned cars should take more time to complete than lesser RPO option cars. Sure it can run constant as far as maintaining line worker efforts, but the net result will definitely vary as to how may cars per hour are produced even if planning is coordinated in an efficient way. Mike
Nope. Option workload/content/mix didn't affect output - the line ran at 57 per hour, every hour, every shift, with scheduling and manpower adjustments made to accommodate forecast variations. The line only stopped for mechanical breakdowns or emergencies.

So what you are saying, John, is scheduling was done in such as away as to balance (if that is the right word) cars with different RPO's option levels to spread out across the lines to acheive a fairly constant CPH's per line?

Mike

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 06:17:14 PM »
I think we should look into and discuss the possibility that they may have painted the trim tags that got the white with a dusting of black at the end.. I have seen a lot of unrestored cars with just the letters showing white until its thoroughly cleaned.. maybe they hit it black again with a cheap spray bomb.. Just saying.. I'll see if I have any pictures to share with that look.. that would make sense if someone was concerned about The Styling.. because that makes sense.

My feeling is maybe the dealer sprayed over the "eye sore" with black before handing it to the customer.

Mike

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 07:06:32 PM »

So what you are saying, John, is scheduling was done in such as away as to balance (if that is the right word) cars with different RPO's option levels to spread out across the lines to acheive a fairly constant CPH's per line?

Mike

If I read John's assembly process report correctly, that was exactly the purpose of the Chevrolet side body bank; cars could be re-arranged so as to balance  the work load on the assembly. Line speed was, as John says, constant.
Jimmy V.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 07:58:48 PM »
There was only one line, the only place to shift the order once a body started down the Fisher side was at GMs scheduling bank.  Fisher scheduled builds and balanced theload on their side based on their needs in building the body tub, like no convertibles closer than 12 to 15 bodies, no Vinyl tops closer than 8 to 10 bodies, etc.  GM had different scheduling issues, like A/C, R/S, console cars, but could care less about a convertible, or vinyl top equipped car so they needed the scheduling bank to shuffle the cars around to suit their needs.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 06:57:48 AM »
I have seen a lot of unrestored cars with just the letters showing white until its thoroughly cleaned.. maybe they hit it black again with a cheap spray bomb.. Just saying.. I'll see if I have any pictures to share with that look.. that would make sense if someone was concerned about The Styling.. because that makes sense.
I have seen some, but often they are questionable datapoints - like that one looks like the booster got sprayed too.
None that have been clearly original survivors.
Kurt S
CRG

festival78

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 12:39:42 PM »
EXACTLY. there always seem to be a reason against.. I just find it odd so many get what seems to be a poorly adhered coat of black over white.. Let me know if you can find any true survivors with evidence. I would be fun to find out one guy at inspection was put off by the guys pray bombing the tag :)

festival78

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »
My own car at purchase

festival78

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 12:47:34 PM »
After a soaking in Super Clean then pressure/steam wash.. doesn't prove anything but I find it interesting :)

anything