CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 08:48:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
104534 Posts in 12235 Topics by 4716 Members
Latest Member: Hgtech
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Order status "Echoes Of Norwood"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Print
Author Topic: Order status "Echoes Of Norwood"  (Read 8996 times)
Mike S

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2013, 08:59:48 PM »

Production output can vary as in the number of cars produced in a given period. Think about it, a batch of heavily RPO'd optioned cars should take more time to complete than lesser RPO option cars. Sure it can run constant as far as maintaining line worker efforts, but the net result will definitely vary as to how may cars per hour are produced even if planning is coordinated in an efficient way. The book discusses the planning to maintain a balance between under and over cycling. Interesting reading indeed.

Mike

67 LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored
jmcbeth

1st and 5th Gen Camaros

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 09:57:51 PM »

Wow! Always wanted to understand what it was like. Thanks so much. Just placed order!

John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching
KurtS
CRG Coordinator

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2013, 10:33:26 PM »

Balancing station workload on the line is a constant issue, today and then.

Kurt S
CRG
festival78

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 12:25:40 PM »

I think we should look into and discuss the possibility that they may have painted the trim tags that got the white with a dusting of black at the end.. I have seen a lot of unrestored cars with just the letters showing white until its thoroughly cleaned.. maybe they hit it black again with a cheap spray bomb.. Just saying.. I'll see if I have any pictures to share with that look.. that would make sense if someone was concerned about The Styling.. because that makes sense.
festival78

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 12:36:54 PM »

Pix
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 12:39:20 PM »

Production output can vary as in the number of cars produced in a given period. Think about it, a batch of heavily RPO'd optioned cars should take more time to complete than lesser RPO option cars. Sure it can run constant as far as maintaining line worker efforts, but the net result will definitely vary as to how may cars per hour are produced even if planning is coordinated in an efficient way. Mike

Nope. Option workload/content/mix didn't affect output - the line ran at 57 per hour, every hour, every shift, with scheduling and manpower adjustments made to accommodate forecast variations. The line only stopped for mechanical breakdowns or emergencies.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
festival78

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 12:40:32 PM »

Can't vouch for originality for any of these pix but they are consistant with having black over some white.. the cars are NOT minty cars so I wonder why anyone would ever has dusted the tag aftersale
Mike S

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »

Production output can vary as in the number of cars produced in a given period. Think about it, a batch of heavily RPO'd optioned cars should take more time to complete than lesser RPO option cars. Sure it can run constant as far as maintaining line worker efforts, but the net result will definitely vary as to how may cars per hour are produced even if planning is coordinated in an efficient way. Mike
Nope. Option workload/content/mix didn't affect output - the line ran at 57 per hour, every hour, every shift, with scheduling and manpower adjustments made to accommodate forecast variations. The line only stopped for mechanical breakdowns or emergencies.

So what you are saying, John, is scheduling was done in such as away as to balance (if that is the right word) cars with different RPO's option levels to spread out across the lines to acheive a fairly constant CPH's per line?

Mike

Mike S

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 01:17:14 PM »

I think we should look into and discuss the possibility that they may have painted the trim tags that got the white with a dusting of black at the end.. I have seen a lot of unrestored cars with just the letters showing white until its thoroughly cleaned.. maybe they hit it black again with a cheap spray bomb.. Just saying.. I'll see if I have any pictures to share with that look.. that would make sense if someone was concerned about The Styling.. because that makes sense.

My feeling is maybe the dealer sprayed over the "eye sore" with black before handing it to the customer.

Mike

jdv69z

69 RS Z/28 52E

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 02:06:32 PM »

So what you are saying, John, is scheduling was done in such as away as to balance (if that is the right word) cars with different RPO's option levels to spread out across the lines to acheive a fairly constant CPH's per line?

Mike

If I read John's assembly process report correctly, that was exactly the purpose of the Chevrolet side body bank; cars could be re-arranged so as to balance  the work load on the assembly. Line speed was, as John says, constant.

Jimmy V.
Mark
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »

There was only one line, the only place to shift the order once a body started down the Fisher side was at GMs scheduling bank.  Fisher scheduled builds and balanced theload on their side based on their needs in building the body tub, like no convertibles closer than 12 to 15 bodies, no Vinyl tops closer than 8 to 10 bodies, etc.  GM had different scheduling issues, like A/C, R/S, console cars, but could care less about a convertible, or vinyl top equipped car so they needed the scheduling bank to shuffle the cars around to suit their needs.

Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
KurtS
CRG Coordinator

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 01:57:48 AM »

I have seen a lot of unrestored cars with just the letters showing white until its thoroughly cleaned.. maybe they hit it black again with a cheap spray bomb.. Just saying.. I'll see if I have any pictures to share with that look.. that would make sense if someone was concerned about The Styling.. because that makes sense.
I have seen some, but often they are questionable datapoints - like that one looks like the booster got sprayed too.
None that have been clearly original survivors.

Kurt S
CRG
festival78

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 07:39:42 AM »

EXACTLY. there always seem to be a reason against.. I just find it odd so many get what seems to be a poorly adhered coat of black over white.. Let me know if you can find any true survivors with evidence. I would be fun to find out one guy at inspection was put off by the guys pray bombing the tag Smiley
festival78

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 07:43:53 AM »

My own car at purchase
festival78

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 07:47:34 AM »

After a soaking in Super Clean then pressure/steam wash.. doesn't prove anything but I find it interesting Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: