Author Topic: Not Camaro, general auto related: cruise control in rain question  (Read 4547 times)

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
I have repeatedly over the years received e-mail etc warning that cruise control in rain or snow can cause the car to accelerate out of control. I just received the message again, and went to snopes.com so I could refute the message, and they confirmed it. I still do not believe cruise will ever accelerate out of control because once you go past the set speed it cuts the throttle. Am I missing something? I have used cruise in snow and rain for decades, and never had a problem. Cruise is how I stay out of traffic court, keeps my foot away from the ticket pedal.

tom
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Not Camaro, general auto related: cruise control in rain question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »
I have repeatedly over the years received e-mail etc warning that cruise control in rain or snow can cause the car to accelerate out of control. I just received the message again, and went to snopes.com so I could refute the message, and they confirmed it. I still do not believe cruise will ever accelerate out of control because once you go past the set speed it cuts the throttle. Am I missing something? I have used cruise in snow and rain for decades, and never had a problem. Cruise is how I stay out of traffic court, keeps my foot away from the ticket pedal.

tom

Typical bad story, written by people who don't understand how cruise control works - hydroplaning (or skidding) will NOT cause the car to "accelerate out of control". That said, it's not a great idea to drive with the cruise on in "heavy rain" or snow when road conditions are likely to change rapidly. I make maximum use of cruise under normal conditions too.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »
I agree, the only reason for me would be after I set the cruise, I pull my right foot back near the seat. Like John mentioned, probably not a good idea if conditions can change rapidly.... Danny

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
You can hydroplane even on a clear day and the cruise will spin the tires.  Didn't happen to me on a Camaro but on my 2002 GMC Sierra.  It had rained, but cleared off and the pavement had dried.  I had cruise back on and came around a curve and hit some water that was running out of the ditch across the highway.  The engine revved up and it started to slide a bit, but the cruise shut off by itself before I even had time to hit the brakes.  No harm done....but it was scary for a second.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 06:51:16 PM by 1968 Z28 »
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 04:06:22 PM »
Wouldn't the same thing happen with your foot on the pedal? And then you would lift, like the cruise did.  I can only see the stated fear (out of control acceleration) if returning to a much higher speed with cruise on a slick surface.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:16:10 AM »
I drive a semi and cruise control is a god send.  But when the weather gets bad (icy or snowy) it goes off in a hurry.  Semis with a load will not hydroplane so the rain isn't a real factor.  I also use the jake when its icy or snowy which a lot of people say not to do.  It's something I've learned to use to keep from having to hit the brakes when icy or snowy, but you have to know what you're doing.  Same with the cruise in the car.  Just use common sense and be prepared.
68Z28

anything