Author Topic: Red Oxide primer on interior or 68 Camaros- Jonn Z and Ed Please respond.  (Read 15050 times)

scoop

• View Profile
Can John Z and Ed comment on the use of red oxide primer on the interior of the 68 Camaro. I have pictures of my car when it was taken apart for restoration and it had a light coating of red oxide primer or some type of rusty red looking primer under the headliner, around the interior and doors, some traces under the rear package tray and under the dash.  This weekend I watched the talked to the judges at the Camaro Nationals and was told they did not accept any red oxide primer anywhere on the car as they did not use red oxide until 69, and that the primer should be dark gray. Are they correct? We painted everything back the way we found it and want to know if I have to change it to dark gray to be correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated before we complete the restoration.  Thanks for all the help!  Scoop

vtfb68

• View Profile
Scoop,
 Sorry its only Victor. I have pleanty pictures of the same thing in a LA 05C car. If I could post I would.
   VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

scoop

• View Profile
Thanks.  I forgot to mention that my car is an 04B Norwood car.

bertfam

• View Profile
Scoop, read THIS for info on the use of red primer.

Ed

scoop

• View Profile
Thanks for the info.  But I am still confused  as to if I can leave the red oxide under my carpet ect.o be correct as that is what was there.  Thanks again

x77-69z28

• View Profile
my 67 is red o xcide inside with yellow overspray.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
People who have this ruddy brown/red oxide color in their 67-68's please post the build date, original exterior color, and build plant as this may have not been done at both plants........Thanks,..............RatPack..............
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:13:32 AM by rat pack »
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

x77-69z28

• View Profile
my car is 12D BUTTERNUT YELLOW. morwood
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

68Zproject

• View Profile
05D 68 Z28 British Green.  The whole inside of the car is that red oxide color.
68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile

View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: crayon marks behind rear seat
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 11:58:59 AM »
Quote from: 68Zproject on March 24, 2007, 04:27:39 PM
The reddish color on V1009DZ's pic, is that the factory primer or what?  In Jerry's book he said floor pans could be semi-gloss black, mine were the color of V1009DZ's rear bulkhead.

Yup, that's factory primer.
68Z28

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Guys if your car has anything other than light grey or dark grey primer on the interior areas only, please post pictures if you can. So far in the past couple of days I have looked at 7 68's and 3 67's, and none of them have true red oxide primer on the interior areas. However, some do have a brown primer, the same as Larry's (scoop) car did originally. I also looked at the low mile 68 SS350 at the show last weekend and it too has brown primer, not red oxide. Some may refer to this color as red oxide, but it is not the same. I have already seen a pattern forming, but I will not make any conclusions until more cars are looked at and verified. So far there have not been any 67-68 cars with this brown color in any area other than the interior surfaces of the body. Nothing showing on the underside, trunk (excluding the underside of the pkg tray), or exterior areas. Guys that have red cars really need to observe them closely as red body color overspray that is on top of the grey primers will make them look brown or even orange if they have light grey primer.

Any and all help is appreciated. I have researched this heavily for over 5 years, and until I started compiling my info this week because of Larry being persistant at the show I didn't see the pattern forming...................Thanks,..........RatPack.................

vtfb68

• View Profile
ratpack,
 Check your PM.
  VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

68camaroz28

• View Profile
There was a 68 survivor at Frederick, MD this year with what appeared to be a brown or red oxide primer in the trunk and Keith who has the great looking 68 SS350 car told me his was red oxide.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
I don't have pictures of Keith's car before restoration, but it was probably blrown just like the others including that red car we judged. I took lots of pictures of that one. So far there have not been any with the red oxide primer like what started showing up in 69 and all 2nd gen cars. So far the only cars that have this brown primer are Norwood cars. Attached is a picture of "scoop"s car before restoration.............

my 67 is red o xcide inside with yellow overspray.
Which plant? Please post pictures or email them to me as none of the 67's I have observed have anything other than two shades of grey...................RatPack.................