Author Topic: Correct Fasteners and headmarkings  (Read 122819 times)

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: Correct Fasteners and headmarkings
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2012, 02:13:14 AM »
Marty, you have added some great suggestions along with some others so that is good! We might want to keep this as simple as possible or members may choose not to paticipate. Example: Instead of the picture with a tape measure etc., you could use one of your examples with the red measurement lines to show/communicate how a screw/bolt should be reported. Pete brings up some excellent points. I will assist anyway I can.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2012, 02:58:11 AM »
These are our original sub-frame bolt examples from our 68 01B NOR Camaro.
Left hand bolt #3912533 used in #2 & #3 sub-frame mounts. Page50 1968 AIM.
Right hand bolt #3914816 used in #1 sub-frame to rad. support mount. Page50 1968 AIM.

Top bolt- # 3912533 Bottom bolt- #3914816
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

IZRSSS

« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2012, 03:01:52 AM »
Chick - Excellent pics thanks! I was needing to see those!

I posted a response to reply 150 here; http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9130.new#new

ss jim

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2012, 08:19:38 PM »
FWIW, a number of years ago (probably 10 or so) Camaro Corral published an issue that covered bolts and suppliers. I thought I still had the issue but it must have been unintentionally discarded. I believe it had illustrations along with supplier names. Jim

IZRSSS

« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2012, 08:23:07 PM »
Wow...if anyone knows about this book please fill us in or post a link of where it can be found.

Thanks Jim!!!

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2012, 09:21:31 PM »
Marty, Today's your lucky day. I have that issue of the Camaro Enthusiast (April 98). Give me a couple of days and I will get the pages scanned and send them to you.

Rick
Rick
69 RS/Z28

IZRSSS

« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2012, 09:29:04 PM »
Rick - You DA Man! That should make life much easier!!  :)

Marty

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »
Wow...if anyone knows about this book please fill us in or post a link of where it can be found.

Thanks Jim!!!
Marty....It was not a book but was the official monthly publication of the now defunct United States Camaro Club.  The magazine was Entitled "Camaro Enthusiast" and the article appeared in the April 1998 issue.  It was a start at documenting the bolts used in the manufacture of the Camaro.  It listed several of the bolts used, a list of the manufactures and their brands, and other bolt information.  It also included a blank form for the members to fill in with their bolt information.  As to what happened to the information after they closed shop, who knows.  I do know that Ecklers Industries now owns the club and it is now known as "The Worldwide Camaro Club".  Might contact them about what happened to the documents associated with the article. The information may be copyrighted, so contacting them about the info might be advisable.

Well...never mind.....see that someone beat me to it.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

IZRSSS

« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2012, 10:21:37 PM »
Jerry - I really appreciate this information. We'll just have to wait and see how this thing plays out. In the mean time (if its alright with Kurt) I think we'll move forward with our own research. If you guys can lend a hand over at that other thread...please do. http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9130.0

Many Thanks!!!

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Great discussion and input.  As I mentioned earlier, several years ago, I replaced most of my original, and/or the generic hardware my car accumulated over the years from its previous owners, from bumper to bumper that was rusty or pitted beyond "show quality" condition.  I probably spent between $1000 - $1500 at AMK, Paragon, and Larry Christensen to assembly the hardware I needed.  When I get time, I'll pull my AIM and my AMK catalog that contain my notes which list all the places in the AIM where a common used hardware is found as I has done earlier in this discuss thread.

Again, it's most important when we post pictures of hardware that is from original and/or survivor cars, that we also share where the hardware is used, the car's build date and build plant.  The bolt/nut thread spec's are also is good info, but it is very helpfull if you have an AIM, to state the page number, detail number, and the GM part number assigned to the hardware. Once we know this info, we can can cross reference the hardware part number with that in the AMK's catalog number and determine the spec on the hardware: i.e. thread size, length, etc.

If we keep this up, eventually we can provide an extremely helpful hardware restoration guide for virtually all the primary components on our cars.  As I was restoring my hardware, I thought about making a hardware guide with a 3-ring binder with the page from the GM AIM on one page, and a pictorial references on the opposite page of original hardware, with cross references to the hardware in the AMK catalog.  If this guide where to be made for sale, licensing from GM to use the AIM would be required, but this guide would save countless hours restoring a 1st Gen, particularly if you buy one missing the drive train, had an original component replaced and generic hardware was used, etc.

Your thoughts?   

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2012, 12:12:01 AM »
I agree Dave with what you submitted before and now 100% but hopefully more members will assist and get involved. And maybe we need to have a thread on Team Camaro also as they do have a lot of very active members and not everyone works both forums.
No doubt this is a very worthwhile project that could benefit the hobby immensely.
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2012, 01:22:06 AM »
Marty I am really impressed with the progress & the information gathered here in just 15 days. I like the going forward format you put together and the reference to AMK fasteners catalog. Good input from everybody. I want to thank Chick & others on the Palmetto tip. I cooked up some nuts & bolts in a $14 crock pot and the finish came out better than I thought. Quite easy also. I will continue to help with any other fasteners I come across.
George

IZRSSS

« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2012, 04:04:31 AM »
George – I can’t say enough good things about the way this topic has progressed. It’s because guys like you and others have taken the initiative to tackle a very difficult topic and not get discourage by the enormity of the challenge. That’s all it takes to keep people motivated and as long as that support is there, I too am willing to do whatever it takes to see this thing to the end.

PKIM…this thread is all about researching factory correct fasteners that these cars were born with. I think we still have a ways to go but we’ve certainly put a sizable dent in this first phase. We have also taken the next step which is to log all of the information associated with fasteners in each of the AIM’s. I will be offering ideas on how I would like to see it progress. And by no means is it set in stone. What works for me might not work for the next guy but I think in the end, the results will be the same.

So far I will be heading the ’69 data collection, Chick will be taking the 68’s, and Mike will be overseeing the 67’s. The preliminary study can be monitored over at; Factory Fastener Discussion. If anyone has comments or suggestions now is the time to discuss it here;  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9130.0

Thanks!

IZRSSS

« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2012, 01:58:41 AM »
Update...Green asterisks = confirmed headmarks.

IZRSSS

« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2012, 01:59:46 AM »
Update cont'd...

anything