Author Topic: Factory Fastener Discussion  (Read 7247 times)

IZRSSS

Factory Fastener Discussion
« on: February 01, 2012, 07:02:34 PM »
I decided to move this discussion from the other place to here (Correct Fasteners and headmarks). Anyway, there have been a lot of great ideas for collecting data. However, I think at this point in time I would rather keep things as simple as possible. We can always revisit this topic and button up any loose ends we might have missed at a later date.

What about something like this?

•   Year/Build Date/Plant
•   Survivor/Frame-on/Rotisserie
•   Fastener Part Number per AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) including page number
•   All accompanied by photo’s as illustrated below

Also, if you prefer just send your pics to me and I will be happy to format them so we don’t have too many variations; just a suggestion / an option.

DO NOT SUBMIT PICS HERE. THIS IS ONLY A DISCUSSION. IF THERE IS ENOUGH SUPPORT WE CAN CONTINUE IF NOT I WILL BE HAPPY TO BAIL-OUT... ;)

First pic...AIM pg. 156. Screw-9420415. L. Washer-174916. (It is not necessary to include measurements on photos. Just print them somewhere or give a clear look at the fastener and tape measure).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:22:38 PM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

Re: Factory Fastener Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 07:06:06 PM »
...Couple more examples...

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 07:26:09 PM »
Trivia - The one you show as "lead point" with the unthreaded pilot shank on the end was called "dog-point" in the plants.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 07:30:54 PM »
Thanks John - I'm sure I'll need to be corrected many, many, more times if we decide to move forward with this stuff.  ;) :)

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 12:11:52 AM »
Something else to consider; Should every page a fastener is listed in the AIM be included?

Using the first fastener and washer above as an example (1969 AIM);

Screw {9420415}: 28, 155, 156, 161, 162, 182, 227, 431, 440, 441

L-Washer {174916}: 155, 156, 161, 162, 227

IZRSSS

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 02:57:52 AM »
Marty, you have added some great suggestions along with some others so that is good! We might want to keep this as simple as possible or members may choose not to participate. Example: Instead of the picture with a tape measure etc., you could use one of your examples with the red measurement lines to show/communicate how a screw/bolt should be reported. Pete brings up some excellent points. I will assist anyway I can.

Chick – exactly! The last thing I want to do is cause members to lose interest.  I'll simply show examples of how the different measurements are taken and which types of photographs will help for gathering the necessary data.

Actually I was happy to read your last sentence…here’s why; I am only familiar with the 69 AIM and I have no idea what the similarities are for each of the three years. Having said that, I think each year's data should be kept separate. If you agree, would you mind heading up the 68's data record keeping? This would mean keeping track of all the fasteners (screws, bolts, nuts, and washers & their PN’s) as they correspond to the AIM. If you agree, I will be more than happy to head up the same for the 69. That would only leave us someone for the 67.

Your thoughts?

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:18:59 AM »

Actually I was happy to read your last sentence…here’s why; I am only familiar with the 69 AIM and I have no idea what the similarities are for each of the three years. Having said that, I think each year's data should be kept separate. If you agree, would you mind heading up the 68's data record keeping? This would mean keeping track of all the fasteners (screws, bolts, nuts, and washers & their PN’s) as they correspond to the AIM. If you agree, I will be more than happy to head up the same for the 69. That would only leave us someone for the 67.

Your thoughts?

Yes, I will assist with the 68 by being an active team member and team scribe! Oh boy, this is going to be interesting... By the way, two of my four #2 & #3 sub-frame mount bolts were pitted up and a member sent me his four from his Camaro since he was doing major susp. changes and his four were the exact same head markings. If I remember his car was a 67 that he purchased new and still owns.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

IZRSSS

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 04:56:48 AM »
Yep...Oh boy! No better motivator than thinking about looking at number after number, in page after page, of pages after pages, day in and day out...Oh Boy ::). Any ideas where we can recruit some other poor sap to head up the 67's? Did I just call ourselves poor saps ???. Any takers ??? Mike ??? Anyone ???

BTW, we also need recruits to double check our work...Russ ??? Martin ??? Daniel ??? Others ??? come on Kurt I know your just chomping at the bit ::) ???... And someone to put it all into one convenient location once its complete...Nick ???

We'll work some more on a format before beginning this new thread. Contrary to what I said up top, I really think this thing can work.

Big Time Thanks Chick!!!

IZRSSS

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 07:48:21 PM »
Chick - Here is why I suggest we have seperate threads for each model. This is only the first of 7 sheets just for screws...I think the idea is to list them all and then attempt to start logging/matching w/factory fasteners...your thoughts?

If anyone is board stiff - please look these over and let me know if I've missed any...Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:26:53 PM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 08:24:37 PM »
...couple more...{once these two have been okayed I'll move on to the next two}...

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 08:47:35 PM »
I'll be glad to help out. Anyway you can get those numbers you just posted into Excell? It would be easier to track it that way.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

IZRSSS

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 09:02:36 PM »
Mike - I have them on both but I haven't figured out how to post them on here off of Excell  ???  If there's a way please fill me in. It would make life much easier. ;)

Are you offering to head up the 67?

anything