Author Topic: Correct Fasteners and headmarkings  (Read 122832 times)

IZRSSS

Re: Correct Fasteners and headmarkings
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2012, 04:10:29 AM »
Wow! If you locate your fastener mfg ID booklet please let me know the title and the author (God I hope it isn't called; Fastener Mfg ID Booklet  :-\).

Also, the info on the head-marks helps a lot!

Thanks Kurt!

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2012, 07:34:42 PM »
I have been glass beading some of my 1969 front end bolts before phosphate, here are some pictures & quantity found. Built Nov. 68.
I have many more to clean and will photo those also.
George

IZRSSS

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2012, 08:33:41 PM »
George - big time welcome! I think your the guy we've been waiting for!

Finally someone who also has the "LF" fastener. You mention only one found but even at that its great news. Like I've mentioned before, I have more of those than I care to count...

I was hoping you or someone could help me out with this; the pic below shows a fastener with the end pinched off. I have others that have threads all the way to the tip. I think I read somewhere that the pinched off version is an earlier production fastener. First is this correct, and second when did the transition take place for the all thread?

In addition, I've been trying to find out what the term is for this cool hex flange pattern. For a lack of better terms, I'm calling it "shamrock/clover" hex flange. I have quite a few of these as well. If you know the term please let me know.

Our cars were built around the same time (mine 12A LOS). Is yours a NOR or a LOS?

And finally...your glass beading results are great. Are there any home style/weekender blasting machines you would be willing to recommend?

Bottom pic shows the fasteners for the RS Actuator Support. Again, not sure what the correct term is for the washer on the nut-end...I'll be throwing these in as I get them completed. If their wrong holler...anyone.

Again...Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:17:06 PM by IZRSSS »

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2012, 10:26:18 PM »
And finally...your glass beading results are great. Are there any home style/weekender blasting machines you would be willing to recommend?
  Hi Marty,

I use this low cost blaster I bought from Eastwood in the 80's. It works great for small work and I have used it for cleaning bolts prior to black oxide and also pulleys before parkerizing as well as other small jobs. You have to make sure the media stays dry or else it can clog at times (like many blasting setups).
http://www.eastwood.com/blast-out-of-a-bucket-abrasive-gun.html

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

IZRSSS

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2012, 01:19:01 AM »
Thanks Mike - I'll take all the advise I can get. Here's another one recommended by a friend;

http://www.eastwood.com/speed-blast-gravity-feed-blaster.html

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2012, 03:41:08 AM »
Marty, don't want to stray too far from what this thread is about but as far as an inexpensive glass bead cabinet check out harbor freight. I bought one on sale and with a coupon it was only $169.95 and believe it or not it works great. Trust me, even in a cabinet you still have dust so I spent time sealing it up better. I also made a wood platform (few inches high) with dolllies so I wheel it outside. For safety I still wear a resporator as that stuff is heck on your lungs. I can tell you this, you will use it a lot more than you first think so give the purchase careful consideration. Funny story- This Fall Carlisle I go and purchase a glass bead cabinet vac and it's advertised as having 30% more sucking power. So I hook it up and turn it on and within 2 or 3 seconds it sucks one of the gloves off. Guess I had the cabinet too sealed off :)
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

IZRSSS

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2012, 01:32:17 PM »
Yep I have a habit of doing that...straying off topic. In fact now that I think of it, my teachers said the same thing; ADD... :-\  ;)

Glad you mentioned Harbor Freight...love that store! And, thanks for the heads-up on the Caution Lungs part. I have asthma and this could really fire it up.

IZRSSS

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2012, 12:38:09 AM »
I have the same fender stylized "F" screws George shows up top. Plus this "Anchor" version...(1/2" x 1" w/~1" Captured Washer)...

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2012, 03:04:37 AM »
Marty, Glad to help out. I have learned sooo much here and just want to give back a little. I would hope some day to see a published judging rules to use as a guide line.
The blaster we use is a Eastwood bench top. Kind of small but you can roll it into the corner when not needed. I like "Aloxglass" from Grainger, aluminum oxide glass bead mix.Also uses our shop vac for dust control. Back to the bolts.
I wanted to take pictures of the fasteners before I blasted them for my records. These were all soaked in Evaporust overnight. The picture of the nuts with captured washers show allmost 2 different finishes but that might be from the Evaporust. I found 3 serrated washer bolts 2 I believe were on the horn brackets. The blaster bolt is from below the cross member and held the 396 AC only Air shield on. I remember thinking it got ground on the pavement or something. That picture is for BlackOut Steve. More to come.
George

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2012, 03:06:53 AM »
More pictures

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2012, 03:09:03 AM »
And still more

IZRSSS

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »
Great pics guys. If you find any head-markings not shown below please post so I can add to this list. Please include a pic of the shaft (pinched/threaded/cropped tip), the year of your car. And, this probably doesn't matter, but also include the factory (LA/NOR).

Thanks again!

IZRSSS

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2012, 06:35:21 PM »
Body Mounting Fasteners: AIM 1/D1 {GR-8} E & RBW...

IZRSSS

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »
Couple more...

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2012, 10:42:19 PM »
That L5 head marking is a RB&W product, not sure what the D one is.

anything