Author Topic: Correct Fasteners and headmarkings  (Read 122762 times)

Petes L48

• View Profile
Re: Correct Fasteners and headmarkings
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2012, 11:25:52 PM »
37 looks like Camcar Div of Textron, TapTite Products, Belvidere IL
45 maybe INFASCO, Quebec
38 looks like logo for Korea Bolt Ind. Co, LTD Seoul 

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2012, 02:23:40 AM »
Great subject and one that I have worked to document over the years. As JohnZ pointed out, several suppliers provided hardware for common used fasteners.  Anytime I find a survivor with its original hardware, I document the car's VIN number and assembly build date.  I believe this is important so that we can attempt to identify common used hardware head markings based on the car’s assembly plant, build date, and possibly the VIN sequence.  Attempted to document this might be a long-shot, but it's all we have to go on.  The Corvette restores have done this and now NCRS has a guide on hardware to refer to.  We, the 1st Gen "Camaro Clan" can do the same. 

Below are a series of pictures from a survivor '69 Pace Car, Norwood 03D build car.  It is locally owned and has been in the family since new.  Unfortunately, I did not get a picture of the VIN, but the plant and build date are the primary car data points to document a car's hardware. If it gets down to a VIN sequence, we can cross that bridge if one we get there.  I’ll searched thru my picture library for more survivor detail of hardware and post them later. 

If any one else has survivor pictures, I would love to see them.  Hopefully this activity eventually may led to a special technical section on CRG that focuses on hardware, and a  judging guide similar to what NCRS uses.

PS: Notice in the picture of the cowl panel screw, that the shim is black oxide in color and not silver/Zinc plated. 

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2012, 02:24:57 AM »
Here is picture set #2.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2012, 02:35:25 AM »
And picture set #3, with a couple of rubber grommets pictures also.

IZRSSS

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2012, 03:53:23 AM »
Dave - glad to have you aboard. Nothing like having access to a survivor. I'll add the "A" to the list below. I can't tell what the mark is in your first pic, or the bumper guard. And we do have a pic of that same anchor. Please keep the pics coming.

TR, UR, RBW, RSC, E, EL, F, AD, D, WB, L, LS, LE, C, M, ANCHOR...A

George - can you confirm the "L F" in your pic (reply 46) is factory?
Thanks

IZRSSS

« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2012, 04:02:28 AM »
Each time a fastener is confirmed as factory I will place a green asterisk in the lower left corner of the box. If anyone disagrees please let us know...judges  ???

IZRSSS

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2012, 04:03:07 AM »

IZRSSS

« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2012, 01:43:31 PM »
There are three of these fasteners on the crankshaft pulley. Unfortunately this is the best pic I can get. Does anyone recognize the head-mark & if so, please post a pic of the same mark or sketch and post. Not looking for Da Vinci quality. Any sketch will do.  :)

Thanks

...Dave - could be the same company that made the fastener in your first pic...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:34:14 PM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2012, 12:53:14 PM »
These are the last of them for this car (at least until I start tearing it apart piece by piece :-\)...

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2012, 03:13:06 PM »
The fender battery lead ground screw is a "D" head marking.  See the close-up picture attached.  The AIM manual Section 12, page 161 for L6 and page 162 for V8, call out screw #9420415 as detail #8 and the toothed lock washer #174916 as detail #7 for L6 or detail #2 & #3 for V8.  Both are available from AMK.  The AMK part numbers are: Screw #B11097 (6-pc pack) or #B11099 (25-pc pack); washer #B-11314.  Both are Zink (dark silver) plated.

As you inventory or catalog the assembly manual, you will find that screw 9420415 was commonly used and called out in the following pages and detail numbers I list below.  I inventoried nearly the entire '69 AIM and cross referenced the hardware part numbers with the AMK catalog.  I did this about 3 - 4 years ago as a winter time project to update the hardware on my car to look new and on par with the rest of the restoration.  Some of my car's original hardware cleaned up nicely and was reused but a large portion of it was rusty and pitted and had to be replaced.

Screw 9420415 & Toothed Lock Washer 174916 (if applicable) locations:

P28 Screw detail #3 – windshield washer jar bracket to core support (qty. 3)
P460 Screw detail “Prod Screws” call for same screw detail #3 noted on P28 for washer jar mounting for the RS application
P161 Screw detail #8 & L Washer detail #7 - auxiliary battery ground wire to fender 
P182 Screw detail #13 - license plate bracket retainer, upper center location
P155 Screw detail #3 & L Washer detail #4 - frd. lamp harness wiring ground to core support
P155 Screw detail #12 - horn relay & buzzer asm. retainer to firewall
P155 L Washer detail #9 & Nut detail #10, #121743 (AMK #B-10502, Zink-dark silver) - wire lead to alternator
P156 Screw detail #7 & L Washer detail #8 – head lamp wiring ground wire to core support, LH side
P439 Screw detail #5 (#9428476 same as #9420415) - U63/U69 AM/FM radio capacitor & lower ground strap to firewall
P440 Screw detail #4 – U63/U69 upper ground straps (qty. 2) to firewall
P441 Screw detail #2 & #5 – U63/U69 lower ground strap to frame & forward ground strap between inner fender and frame (total qty 4)

Note: There may be more callouts in the AIM for Screw 9420415/9428476 and/or L Washer 174916.  I stopped once I combed thru the AIM for the standard assembly build uses and options that I have on my car. I did not inventory the C60 AC option as this option did not apply to my Z28.

If you find errors in this list, or discover additional areas in the AIM where this hardware is used, please edit this list for the CRG member’s benefit.  If you have, or access to, a survivor with this hardware still in place, please share a picture of the screw if the head marking is different.  Also, please state the car’s assembly build plant and build date.

Thanks!

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2012, 05:41:41 PM »
If you have a C60 car check the plenum valve's fasteners. For some reason I have 8mm's??? Can anyone verify???

There were no metric fasteners in the plants until the very late 70's.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2012, 07:09:56 PM »
Incorrect fasteners will be marked w/a red asterisks.

Thanks John & thank you Dave!

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2012, 07:41:37 PM »
Marty, I can not figure out where the "LF" bolt came from in reply #46. It looks like a battery hold down bolt but it is 3/8" not typical 5/16". One of my front fenders was replaced at some point, so maybe this 3/8" bolt got replaced at that time. I blasted some more fasteners today and will post those pictures for your collection.
I like the charts you made up, great information.
George.

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2012, 07:42:56 PM »
More pictures

IZRSSS

« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2012, 08:43:02 PM »
Thanks George. They were a pain at first but now they go together pretty quick.

Both you and Mike have #11. I think we're pretty dad-gum close to a match but there are subtle differences. I tried to point them out below. I think I'd like to see a couple more before calling it a keeper. KIM...the hook might just be a flaw in the stamping process...I just want to make sure.

#13 is definately a keeper. I can't see any variations. In addition, mine also has the pinched point. I think I read somewhere that this is an early production shaft. The all thread (down to the point) was introduced latter in the First Gen run. Although both were used. I think I'll call the S's keepers.

Your thoughts?

NOTE: IIRC, our own John was responsible for the all thread fastener... :o