Author Topic: 69 Z Ignition Upgrade  (Read 6096 times)

TX-302

• View Profile
69 Z Ignition Upgrade
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:33:15 AM »
I'm considering upgrading the stock ignition system on my 69 Z to a maintenance free style distributor. A question for you mechanic techies ...is that just a matter of removing the old "points type" and dropping in the new magnetic pick up distributor?

thanks!
Steve
69 Z

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69 Z Ignition Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 02:16:48 PM »
I'm considering upgrading the stock ignition system on my 69 Z to a maintenance free style distributor. A question for you mechanic techies ...is that just a matter of removing the old "points type" and dropping in the new magnetic pick up distributor?

thanks!

Most of the drop-in conversions (Pertronix, Breakerless SE, etc.) are pretty simple, but none of them are "electronic ignition" systems - they just replace the points (mechanical switch) with an electronic switch. All they do is eliminate the need to set the dwell once a year. If you choose to replace the entire distributor, you're not gaining anything more than if you just drop in a conversion module.

All of my cars have their original Delco distributors with points, they run just fine, and are 100% reliable; I've seen no need to "upgrade" them to anything else. Setting dwell takes about a minute.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 03:07:13 PM »

Setting dwell takes about a minute.

Unless you have a Ford.  On a serious note, who's idea was it to make the dwell adjust with a hex screw on the GM's?
68Z28

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 09:19:20 PM »
...bettter yet, whose idea was it to put the distributor on the back of the engine.  Setting the dwell is easy.  If you have to change or file points, adjust point contact alignment, etc. depending on how well you like lying on top of the motor.....or you get very good at removing the distributor, making the adjustments and reinstalling it.  Back in the day, I thought all of this was fun.  Today, I don't have any desire to ever adjust a set of points again.  

Changed to the Pertronix about 3 yrs ago and it has worked fine.  No problem with the tach or anything else.  Like John said, it is simply an electronic on / off switch that replaces a mechanical on / off switch (points open or closed) that was there originally.  For me, it was simply a decision to replace a mechanical system which will wear with an electronic component which hopefully will last the lifetime of the car - and of course that is an unknown - electronic components are obviously not immune to failure.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 11:29:57 PM »
I have the same set of points in my Z for over 10 years now. I drive it weekly. Why change?

TX-302

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 09:34:32 AM »
Yes, my intent is to reduce the maintenance issue associated with a mechanical points style dist. I had to laugh when Richard mentioned the part about being stretched out across the engine at this stage of the game...can definitely relate to that! I can clearly remember having to replace one set of the dual points on my cousin's 70 Hemi Challenger late one night on the side of the road with a flash light, that was not fun, and the dist was in the front of the engine!

Anyway Gentlemen, thanks for all your valued input.
Steve
69 Z