Author Topic: Original T/A racing photographs, late 60's & early 70's  (Read 378047 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Original T/A racing photographs, late 60's & early 70's
« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2013, 03:14:31 AM »
Here we have some very nice photos courtesy of Gene Fisher who took these at the 1970 Watkins Glen Trans-Am.
Many thanks to Gene for sharing these with us.

Jerry Thompson's Owens-Corning Camaro lined up on the false grid.

Gene Fisher photo

Cars on the false grid for morning warm up. Dean Gregson's #28, Larry Drover's #11 and Warren Tope's #70 the most apparent of the bunch.

Gene Fisher photo

A different angle.

Gene Fisher photo

The pace lap with Jones and Donohue on the front row. This shot is taken at "the Chute" which is at the far end of the course.

Gene Fisher photo

First lap, Jones leads Donohue.

Gene Fisher photo

Second lap, Jones is putting some distance on his competitors.

Gene Fisher photo

Here's Vic Elford setting up Dean Gregson for the pass.

Gene Fisher photo

Elford and Sam Posey prepare to go by the Camaros of Craig Fisher and Vince Gimondo.

Gene Fisher photo

Warren Agor's Camaro engine is smoking.

Gene Fisher photo

The Camaros of Dick Brown and Jerry Thompson.

Gene Fisher photo

Watkins Glen 1970 grid
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 22, 2013, 05:20:48 AM »
Also from the 1970 Watkins Glen Trans-Am... #12 is Dick Young from Valley Stream, NY and was sponsored by McVeigh Chevrolet in Valley Stream, NY.

"I didn't have time to focus real good as old #12 was heading for us at 80 or 90 MPH, the only thing between us was a 4ft high woven wire fence and a fairly good embankment. I turned to run between nose in parked cars and my only thought was that #12 would come thru the fence, smash into the cars, and I would be squashed like an insect. Talking to some other fans after this, #12 stopped just short of the fence."

Gene Fisher photo
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 22, 2013, 07:15:17 AM »
This is the race that at least 3 of us got on the grid at the last minute only because several guys blew their engines in the morning warm-up session.  Our car
had been overheated in the Bryar paddock (dns) and owner Al had to cobble another engine together.  I missed the Mid-Ohio race because of the Bryar problem. Several guys
also had to go home on the trailer because they didn' qualify (limited grid by the promoter)

It rained for some time during this Glen race but I have no memory of this.  I think I drove the whole race on dry tires.   At one time I had a tape of this race but
can't find it - was done by the man who did several Nascar races also (the name escapes me).

The Glen was a high speed track and very challenging.

Robert Barg

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 22, 2013, 02:25:04 PM »
gene, thanks for getting those great photos from the glen, to jon. canada was certainly well represented at this race !

mike in canada

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 23, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »
The Watkins Glen grid sheet shown above has some errors in it. Robert Barg, Francois Guertin  and Warren Fairbanks were all in '67 Camaros, not '69s.  Dave Lawler and Paul Nichter were in '68 Camaros.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 07, 2013, 04:22:57 AM »
Canadian racer Al Mason's Z/28 from fall 1968. (Jon Mello Collection)
Jon Mello
CRG

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 07, 2013, 07:33:02 AM »
This photo is from the Canadian Touring Car Championship race that wknd. - won by Mo Carter, then Al Mason, Peter Schwartzott, Jean-Guy Roy, Doug Weaver, Francois Favreau, and myself in 7th.  All except
Weaver and Mason ran in some T/A races.  Weaver drove a camaro - might have come from Michigan and later became a well known Corvette racer?  Don't remember him racing a camaro any other time at Harewood or Mosport.

The CTC races were Canada's version of the T/A races.

Robert Barg

wolfmin

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 07, 2013, 05:47:23 PM »
This photo is from the Canadian Touring Car Championship race that wknd. - won by Mo Carter, then Al Mason, Peter Schwartzott, Jean-Guy Roy, Doug Weaver, Francois Favreau, and myself in 7th.  All except
Weaver and Mason ran in some T/A races.  Weaver drove a camaro - might have come from Michigan and later became a well known Corvette racer?  Don't remember him racing a camaro any other time at Harewood or Mosport.

The CTC races were Canada's version of the T/A races.

Robert Barg

Robert, you may be thinking of Ron Weaver. He was from Michigan and drove an A Production Corvette during the era when the Owens Corning Corvettes were dominating.

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 07, 2013, 07:20:48 PM »
Yes, that sounds right - Ron Weaver was the Corvette driver.  Will try and find out more info re Doug Weaver and his camaro.

Robert

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2013, 05:08:17 AM »
Chad pointed out to me that Flickr now has photos from the Dave Friedman Collection on its website.
The link below has images from both the 1967 Sebring 12-Hour and the Sebring 4-Hour Trans-Am
intermingled together. Lots of great stuff here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thehenryford/sets/72157632877165631/
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2013, 05:14:49 AM »
Here's a photo personally taken by Mike Scott (group/7) back in 1969 at the St. Jovite/Mt. Tremblant Trans-Am race.
It shows Donohue's car after rolling off the scales, which is part of the tech inspection of each car prior to the race.
Many thanks to Mike for sharing this with us from his personal collection.
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 20, 2013, 01:20:10 AM »
Nice shorts!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 22, 2013, 03:36:38 PM »
Lothar Motschenbacher was brought in to drive the John Martin #4 Javelin at the '69 St. Jovite Trans-Am. Here is his car
in the line for getting weighed. Lothar had a solid 4th place finish, however this was the race with the huge crash that
took out 3/4 of the factory-backed Mustang team, plus others. Thanks to Mike Scott (group/7) for sharing this with us.

Michael Scott photo
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2013, 03:24:00 AM »
Mike Scott pointed out these interesting Can-Am photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/buell/sets/72157627941013859/
that interestingly included an interior shot of one of the ex-Jim Hall Camaros. This would possibly be the Mo Carter car due to
the red floor?
Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 28, 2013, 01:03:49 AM »
jon, thanks for posting those photos for me, sorry for not getting back to you with the proper link on that shot of the ex chaparral camaro ! was away and did not get back till late yesterday.

mike

anything