Author Topic: Prestone Brake Clean Parts Cleaner  (Read 29340 times)

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Prestone Brake Clean Parts Cleaner
« on: November 28, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »
Wanted to know if anyone on the forum knows where the Prestone aerosol can brake clean can be purchased?  Walmart here used to carry it and now they only stock the CRC, which we do not like at all, takes forever to dry and leaves a film.  The Prestone is in a tall yellow can.

Any help appreciated.  I have been to several stores in my area but no one carries it and CHP likes this brand the best.  Never hurts to post a request here.

Thanks,

Jerry

maroman

• View Profile
Re: Prestone Brake Clean Parts Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 08:28:13 PM »
Was the Prestone chlorinated? If so, maybe they don't make it anymore. I hope everyone has read about welding around chorinated brake clean?
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

IZRSSS

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:14:23 PM »
Jerry,

Not sure where you live but you can find a supplier near your area here under, "Where to Buy---Heavy-Duty Brake Parts Cleaner";

http://www.prestone.com/products/car_care/aerosol_products/product_list?select_region=1

Do you know if this product is safe on painted on stamps & color coded springs?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:38:30 PM by IZRSSS »

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:41:48 PM »
No, this version was not chlorinated.  I tried linking to this locator and according to what I can see, no one in the state of Maryland carries it.  The photo on the link shows the right can. 

Even if I could do mail order to locate it, we would buy several cases at a time.  This stuff works the best and does not hurt paint numbers on brake parts.  I would not spray it around paint though........

I do appreciate the help.

thanks,

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:49:58 PM »
There are two suppliers in Pennsylvania...

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Looks like I'll have to make some phone calls..........when I typed in PA, I got stores in MA.....what's up with that?

Jerry

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 02:58:04 PM »
I'd call Prestone and find out what's up. No place in MI, OH, or IN - that seems strange.
Kurt S
CRG

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »
Looks like I'll have to make some phone calls..........when I typed in PA, I got stores in MA.....what's up with that?

Jerry

Jerry, I will check around our area and let you know if I can find. If its around I will purchase what you would like to have or what they have and deliver when I pick up my parts your restoring.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

IZRSSS

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 05:07:04 PM »
Jerry,

Gooooogled just about everything I could think of and came up empty.

Finally called Prestones Corprate Headquarters in Connecticut 1-800-890-2075. The lady I spoke to (Jenine) stated that if either Walmart or Autozone did not stock this product they can special order it. I have a call in to both stores here locally and I'm waiting to here back from them. Can't promise anything because these guys appear totally lost so you might try contacting your stores as well.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:42:32 PM by IZRSSS »

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 06:21:42 PM »
Could Someone list the actual part number that's on the can? Thanx......Danny

IZRSSS

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 12:49:56 AM »
Marty,

Thanks!  I appreciate all that you've done.  If you can find out who and how I can get this product, I'll make it up to you somehow!  I tried to do some research today but the phone did not stop ringing all day...........if anyone has their own business, you know what I'm talking about.......you just do not have the personal time to do stuff.  When I was working for Johns Hopkins, I had all the time in the world to write books, start the '67 Z registry, restore, race, etc.

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »
Jerry,

I Spoke to the parts Mgr. here at the local Walmart {Arthur (505)861-8266}. He ordered two cases of Prestone Heavy Duty Brake Cleaner. The part# is AS305.

I also spoke to Honeywell Corporation Sales Rep; Susan 1-800-890-2075. According to her, Walmart, Napa, Costco, Tractor Supply, Advanced Auto and Autozone should all either have it or be able to order it for you.

Good luck...

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 03:57:59 PM »
Marty,

Working with my NAPA store now.  Was not in their system but he's going to make some calls.

thanks,

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 10:56:17 PM »
Marty,

If you can find out who and how I can get this product, I'll make it up to you somehow!  

Jerry

Lets see...Christmas is coming up and I could sure use a; Starter, Air Cleaner, SS Wheels, Rear Springs and perhaps a new Hood...all Numbers Parts of course... ;D!

anything