Author Topic: Prestone Brake Clean Parts Cleaner  (Read 29540 times)

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Prestone Brake Clean Parts Cleaner
« on: November 28, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »
Wanted to know if anyone on the forum knows where the Prestone aerosol can brake clean can be purchased?  Walmart here used to carry it and now they only stock the CRC, which we do not like at all, takes forever to dry and leaves a film.  The Prestone is in a tall yellow can.

Any help appreciated.  I have been to several stores in my area but no one carries it and CHP likes this brand the best.  Never hurts to post a request here.

Thanks,

Jerry

maroman

• View Profile
Re: Prestone Brake Clean Parts Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 08:28:13 PM »
Was the Prestone chlorinated? If so, maybe they don't make it anymore. I hope everyone has read about welding around chorinated brake clean?
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

IZRSSS

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:14:23 PM »
Jerry,

Not sure where you live but you can find a supplier near your area here under, "Where to Buy---Heavy-Duty Brake Parts Cleaner";

http://www.prestone.com/products/car_care/aerosol_products/product_list?select_region=1

Do you know if this product is safe on painted on stamps & color coded springs?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:38:30 PM by IZRSSS »

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:41:48 PM »
No, this version was not chlorinated.  I tried linking to this locator and according to what I can see, no one in the state of Maryland carries it.  The photo on the link shows the right can. 

Even if I could do mail order to locate it, we would buy several cases at a time.  This stuff works the best and does not hurt paint numbers on brake parts.  I would not spray it around paint though........

I do appreciate the help.

thanks,

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:49:58 PM »
There are two suppliers in Pennsylvania...

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Looks like I'll have to make some phone calls..........when I typed in PA, I got stores in MA.....what's up with that?

Jerry

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 02:58:04 PM »
I'd call Prestone and find out what's up. No place in MI, OH, or IN - that seems strange.
Kurt S
CRG

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »
Looks like I'll have to make some phone calls..........when I typed in PA, I got stores in MA.....what's up with that?

Jerry

Jerry, I will check around our area and let you know if I can find. If its around I will purchase what you would like to have or what they have and deliver when I pick up my parts your restoring.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

IZRSSS

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 05:07:04 PM »
Jerry,

Gooooogled just about everything I could think of and came up empty.

Finally called Prestones Corprate Headquarters in Connecticut 1-800-890-2075. The lady I spoke to (Jenine) stated that if either Walmart or Autozone did not stock this product they can special order it. I have a call in to both stores here locally and I'm waiting to here back from them. Can't promise anything because these guys appear totally lost so you might try contacting your stores as well.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:42:32 PM by IZRSSS »

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 06:21:42 PM »
Could Someone list the actual part number that's on the can? Thanx......Danny

IZRSSS

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 12:49:56 AM »
Marty,

Thanks!  I appreciate all that you've done.  If you can find out who and how I can get this product, I'll make it up to you somehow!  I tried to do some research today but the phone did not stop ringing all day...........if anyone has their own business, you know what I'm talking about.......you just do not have the personal time to do stuff.  When I was working for Johns Hopkins, I had all the time in the world to write books, start the '67 Z registry, restore, race, etc.

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »
Jerry,

I Spoke to the parts Mgr. here at the local Walmart {Arthur (505)861-8266}. He ordered two cases of Prestone Heavy Duty Brake Cleaner. The part# is AS305.

I also spoke to Honeywell Corporation Sales Rep; Susan 1-800-890-2075. According to her, Walmart, Napa, Costco, Tractor Supply, Advanced Auto and Autozone should all either have it or be able to order it for you.

Good luck...

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 03:57:59 PM »
Marty,

Working with my NAPA store now.  Was not in their system but he's going to make some calls.

thanks,

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 10:56:17 PM »
Marty,

If you can find out who and how I can get this product, I'll make it up to you somehow!  

Jerry

Lets see...Christmas is coming up and I could sure use a; Starter, Air Cleaner, SS Wheels, Rear Springs and perhaps a new Hood...all Numbers Parts of course... ;D!

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 02:59:37 PM »
Will do Marty.  Should have everything is stock!

My NAPA store called me back and told me that this product is discontinued.  Back to the drawing borad.  I'll have to call this woman manager and see what she tells me.  I cannot believe that it is discontinued.  The saga continues.........

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 03:49:32 PM »
I'm not really sure what to say other than my local Walmart will be getting some in soon.  Have you tried your local Walmart? I would speak to the Parts Mgr. and give him the part# AS305. It might take him a while but they are pretty good about following through.

As soon as the cleaner arrives at this store I will post a pic (if its the right stuff). When I questioned the guy I asked him to read me the label and to describe the can. Certainly appears to be right.

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 04:28:21 PM »
There's a few AutoZone's in Maryland - Frederick, Silver Spring, Laurel etc.  If you go to their website you can run a store locator that gives each store's phone #.  I was surprised Advance Auto doesn't carry it, as they have most other Prestone products.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 04:38:33 PM »
Marty,

That's where I used to buy it and now it's not there anymore.  Have not had it for over a year.  Only the CRC stuff now and it's NG.

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 07:02:56 PM »
Jerry,

I phoned Hanover MD Walmart, (410)579-8725. Spoke to the parts Mgr., Malinda. She stated that she will speak to her Mgr., Cherry Williams to see if she will grant permission to order the PHDBC. Malinda stated they stopped ordering PHDBC because it didn't sell. If you add a little fuel to the fire I think you can make it happen.

You might mention that you spoke to Honeywell Corporation and tell them they are on their list as one of Honeywell's suppliers. This seems to motivate them.  I mentioned your name and mentioned that you will buy this stuff by the cases. They already have the information they need to place the order. They placed a call to my Walmart here in NM to get the information. This store should have it in by tomarrow or Monday.

Just a thought, but why not tell Cherry you will send her the $ and have the stuff sent to your address...not sure if this will work but its worth a shot.

Take a break from burning the tires at both ends & give her a call  :).

Marty
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:32:13 PM by IZRSSS »

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 10:09:43 PM »
If you can order it from the Walmart web site they will deliver to your local store with no shipping fees.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 11:33:30 PM »
I'll try ordering it this weekend..........we have a benefit in-door car show in Baltimore this weekend but I should be able to make time to do it.  If not for sure on Monday!

thanks!

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 04:26:50 PM »
Jerry,

The Prestone BC arrived at my NM Walmart store. I spoke to the Manager and Tom is exactly right. All you have to do is log onto the Walmart site. The order is called..."Walmart Site to Store". Once you place your order, it will be shipped to the Walmart store of your choice.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 03:44:49 AM »
Marty,

I'm on the site now www.walmart.com and cannot find this link that you say is Walmart Site To Store.  Can you run me through this slowly?

I want to order several cases.

Thanks,

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 12:24:33 PM »
I see what you mean about this site. Give me some time and I'll get back to you.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 02:36:16 PM »
Thanks Marty,

I was trying to figure it out for about an hour and then gave up.

Jerry

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 03:09:48 PM »
Marty,

E-mail me direct, z28camaroman@juno.com and maybe we can figure this out.  I can't.  Dan sent me a link and I still don't see how to order and add to carts.

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 03:28:06 PM »
I am waiting for a call back from my NM store. This time I will be speaking with the store manager and not the department mgr. I intend to have him walk me through this order process. He will be calling me around 10:00am.

IZRSSS

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 06:47:11 PM »
Jerry,

According to my W-Store Mrg. you have these three options to place an order;

• Prestone: 1-800-580-1066
  • Honeywell: 1-800-890-2075
  • Have your Walmart Special Order

The Assistant Mgr was wrong, this product cannot be ordered, "Site to Store".

I will PM you the rest...

Marty
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:09:31 PM by IZRSSS »

IZRSSS

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2010, 06:43:30 PM »
Jerry,

I received a phone call from Bud, the Walmart Mgr. here at one of my NM stores. He telephoned your Hanover Walmart & spoke to Cherry Williams. All you have to do is call either Cherry or Malinda [(410)579-8725] sometime around mid morning tomarrow and they will order as much as you need. Be sure to mention Bud.

Let me know if it works out for you so I can shoot Walmart Honchos/Brass an email to plug Bud.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:46:28 PM by IZRSSS »

rally

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2010, 10:37:01 PM »
Do you have the option to call Prestone direct and place an order for this brake cleaner, i am stumped. I talked to a Walmart supervisor today and said he cant get this brake cleaner and that i have to use the site store, but like Jerry said its a hassle. Should i call Prestone and have some shipped to my residence?

IZRSSS

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2010, 10:49:43 PM »
Have you tried the phone numbers I posted? If so, what did you find out?

Remember...Walmart is a supplier for Honeywell and they have an obligation. If a store mgr tries to avoid helping you out, get that persons managers name & phone#, etc. until you climb as high as you need to, to make it happen. However, before you speak to Walmart be sure to talk to Honeywell first and GET NAMES...be prepaired! Also, Honeywell is a corporation and Prestone is one of many under their umbrella.

You cannot use Site to Store...this was already covered.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2010, 11:00:25 PM »
Marty,

I was on the phone with someone twice for 20 min terminal hold but just got through and was told to call back in the AM.  I will do that.

thanks for your help!  Where is this Walmart located?

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2010, 11:05:21 PM »
The phone # you are calling is in Hanover, MD. If you are asking which Walmart Bud works at, its in Belen, New Mexico. Pronounced...Baa lynn :-\. Its a spanish name so if you know spanish you'll have it made. ;D

BTW...the call was to be made manana.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:32:19 PM by IZRSSS »

rally

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2010, 01:01:24 AM »
I will give Honeywell a call tomorrow. Thanks for the info IZRSSS.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 02:13:42 PM »
I called the Walmart store here in MD and talked to Melinda.  She ordered me six cases of the Prestone brake clean.

thanks Marty and Merry Christmas to you and all on the CRG site.

PS:  Just an FYI, the Prestone brake clean is an excellent product and better than all the other brands.  It's great for wiping down aluminum parts such as intakes, valve covers and such.  We use it to wash the aluminum parts after they come out of the tumbler.

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 11:27:09 PM »
Happy it worked out for you Jerry!

Merry Christmas and a Happy and safe New Year to you as well and all the guys and gals of this incredible site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2010, 12:55:43 AM »
Going to pick up the brake clean tomorrow.  $2.43 a can.  That's cheaper than my jobber cost at NAPA, and this is the best parts cleaner to boot.  I thnk was was paying about $2.80 a can for four case menimum. 

Thanks and Happy New Year to all.,

Jerry

IZRSSS

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2010, 03:21:08 AM »
Same price as NM & we're 1900mi apart...Gotta luv WM...you're welcome Jerry.

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »
The Prestone BC is in the house at CHP!

Happy new year, thanks Marty!

Jerry

rally

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 08:44:47 PM »
Guys i am still having trouble here in Mich getting this Prestone brake cleaner. Auto Zone isnt any help, called the local Walmart here, no help, and then tried to call Prestone, voice mail. What is the Prestone brake cleaner part number i can give to my llocal Auto Zone store, the guy says if i can give him a number, he can help. I gave him this number posted on here AS305 and said this number cross references CRC Brake cleaner, i am stumped? What is the correct order number?

IZRSSS

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2011, 09:19:38 PM »
We have all tried Auto Zone. They can't or won't get the cleaner for you. AS-305 is the correct part#.

Here is the phone# to my NM Walmart; (505)864-9114. Ask for store Manager, Bud. Maybe you can sweet talk him into contacting your Walmart with the information they need to get it ordered. Don't agree to talk to anyone except Bud. If you need to call back, do so. He knows exactly what "Prestone Heavy Duty Brake Parts Cleaner" is. He is the person that made it happen for both me and Jerry. The other Managers don't have a clue.

Here are some additional pics in case you need them.

Good luck

rally

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2011, 10:27:05 PM »
Thank You very much IRZSSS. I will call him tomorrow and see if he can contact my Walmart here in Mich. This is a big help. Auto Zone just seemed he didnt want to help.

rally

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 11:31:54 PM »
Well guys i been to my local Walmart 3 miles down the road and gave the store manager all the info and numbers he needed to order me a case of Prestone Break Cleaner. This manager contines to tell me he calls these phone numbers and get prompts and no one answers. I have lost my patience with this manager and had it out with him. I told him he should be able to contact this supplier Prestone and order anything he needs, Walmart carries plenty of their products. All i get is a runaround with this manager. What should i do? Anybody have any ideas what steps i should take now. Again where is the custmer service this day and age. Personally i am not a big fan of Walmart, ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2011, 11:48:02 PM »
Since Jerry has a source check with him to sell you a case at a modest profit.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

tom

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2011, 11:48:30 PM »
Not that this will help much, but many years back I managed auto units for Kmart. If it was not in my order book, I could not get it. Different regions had different choices. Decisions on what would be available were made far above my level. Be patient, ask to speak to a supervisor, repeat as needed. May or may not help, but worth a try.  If you go in with the riot act, I don't fancy your chances.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
o

IZRSSS

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2011, 12:36:07 AM »
I agree with you whole hearted Tom. As they say, it is much easier to attract bees with honey. However, please keep in mind that everyone on here who has tried to have Walmart store level management assist have failed miserably. It is extremely difficult to inspire these individuals to go beyond their basic responsibilities. This is where the frustration lies, and where the need dictates attempts at other resources...namely upper management. It is upper managements responsibility to respond to the consumer. As they also say...sometimes you have to do whatever is necessary to get results.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:53:30 AM by IZRSSS »

tom

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2011, 01:25:15 AM »
One point I was hoping to make, was that some products may only be available in certain areas. If you are elsewhere, you are out of luck, no matter what effort the local manager is willing to make.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
o

IZRSSS

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2011, 11:57:12 AM »
Marty,
Thanks!  I appreciate all that you've done.  If you can find out who and how I can get this product, I'll make it up to you somehow!  
Jerry

More often than not there are people who say things without ever having intentions of following through. Or, perhaps certain things are said by people for the sole purpose of maintaining an image or standing within a select group. I have heard words like these mentioned before and not once did I think they had true meaning. I thought it was just a polite way of saying thanks. Long story short, I am writting these words to let everyone know that Jerry MacNeish is a "Man of his Word ", as if though you didn't already know. Even with his extremely busy work schedule he has still found time to stand by his word. Three days ago I received two autographed copies of Jerry's books, and something else I will never forget!

Thanks again my friend! "Good Trade"!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 01:17:54 PM by IZRSSS »