Author Topic: 68 RPO  (Read 13754 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
68 RPO
« on: May 18, 2009, 03:21:39 PM »
Rich or Kurt,

In the CRG, RPO, PDF under Z23 it states " see the Z23/Z87 table for more info" where is that?  I'm trying to figure out if just the bright pedal trim was available as an option or if it came with some other option.  I have the standard interior and I have the pedal trim (was probably added).  Is there anything that might tell me if it was added?  I also have the belt trim, but I think that was added too and I read somewhere that if it had the belt moldings you should have a different kind of fuzzy on the window.  I'm really looking for clues that could tell me if these things were added on or not, if possble.  Any info on what would point to some of this being original or added would be greatly appreciated.
68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: 68 RPO
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 03:07:50 PM »
Was the "bright pedal trim" available seperately as an option with out anything else?
68Z28

RJ_RS_SS_350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 07:48:52 PM »

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 04:12:58 AM »
No, pedal trim only came with Z23 or Z87. I've seen lots of cars with it added.....
Kurt S
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 10:48:15 PM »
Well, I have the pebble grain dash moulding, standard steering wheel.  I guess I shouldn't have the pedal trim as I have none of the Z23 items and only the trunk mat of Z87, both easily added items.  What was the the bright belt mouldings and trim around windows?  I have that too and think that was added.  If I could narrow that down it would be great.  I've been looking for an excuse to take that stuff off.
68Z28

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 09:07:51 PM »
The trim on the top of the door / quarters and the roof gutter moldings were part of Z21 & Z22. As was the wheel opening trim.
Kurt S
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 03:48:07 AM »
Stand alone or was it combined with soemthing else?  Is there a way to tell if it was added?
68Z28

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 06:24:13 PM »
As Kurt stated, to get the door & 1/4 moldings originally the car had to be ordered with either the Z21 Exterior Style Trim group, or with the Z22 Rally Sport option which included the Z21 option. The door moldings were not "stand alone" items and there is no way to tell if they were added, especially if the car already has drip rail moldings, and wheel opening moldings........RatPack.......
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 06:49:01 PM »
I meant the Z21 option, stand alone, meaning di dyou have to get anything else to get the Z21?  I have ruled out the console being original because I have the pebble grain dash and ashtray which are original GM part #'s.  I am trying to rule out the Z21 pieces on my car being original by seeing if there is something else they would have come with that I don't have.  I'm beginning to understand, if the Z21 option could be added to a base car such as mine, then there is no tell-tale sign that it was added or not?
68Z28

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 07:35:29 PM »
Yes, Z21 could be purchased as a stand alone option, and it included the belt revel moulding, front and rear wheel opening moldings, and (for Coupes), roof drip moldings. If you have any of these, you should have ALL of these!

Of course, things could have been changed and added (or removed) over the years, but check to see if you have screw holes in your wheel openings. That will tell you if you had the wheel moldings. These were only available with the Z21 or Z22 options (although they could easily have been added later on in life, so again, no concrete evidence here).

Ed

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 04:25:26 AM »
Yes the evidence is thin.  I have all three and I do have holes in the wheel wells.  Some of them are not even being used as the repro mouldings that are on it don't match up to all these holes.  The holes look to be drilled holes or stamped as though done in an original manner, not self threaded screws.  But as you say not concrete.  I will look for further evidence one way or the other.  The next route I was taking was the window felt that was supposed to be different on belted vs. non-belted cars.  I can't remember exactly, but I believe the belted cars had window felt with a chrome top to it?  But what I'm finding, is it seems that, that felt is attached to the belt moulding and could or would have been there if it came off a donor.  Or is there some other felt that would be a clue?  Or anything else for that matter.  Boy I sure wish I could find some paperwork on my car.
68Z28

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 02:08:42 PM »
There could be extra holes for mudflaps. The were common on a lot of cars depending on where it is from and could have been added at the dealer or at a local car parts place by the owner. I had this on my 68 ss. They actually had flaps on the front and rear when I bought the car. Looked bizarre but accounted for 2 extra holes in the trim and well lip near the bottom.
68 07D SS350
John

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 02:18:47 PM »
Yes the exterior window sweeps (felts) are different on cars with the belt moldings as compared to ones w/o the moldings.  Cars that have the moldings, the sweep is held onto the molding with small tabs then the molding attaches to the door or 1/4 panel with screws. Whereas the sweeps for cars w/o the moldings use clips to install them onto the doors & 1/4 panels. The sweeps for cars w/o the moldings have a rubber lip on the outer edge to protect the paint finish from the movement of the window when rolled up or down, and they have a small chrome bead on top. The ones for cars with the moldings do not have this rubber portion, and the do not have the chrome bead. Some current aftermarket repros have a chrome finish on the metal portions  instead of black as original. I have attached pictures of the two types of outer window sweeps so you can see the differences. The moldings can be added to any car that did not have them originally by simply removing the original window sweeps and installing the moldings with the correct sweeps attached.

You noted your wheel opening moldings have different screw hole locations than what was under them when removed, I have seen that with some of the GM moldings in the past where the replacement holes were off as much as 3" from original. I have repro's from 8 years agomoldings on the front of my car and all of the holes lined up with the originals. Another note, the holes in the 1/4 panels for the moldings will be drilled, not punched, only the ones on the fenders are punched, and all cars with or w/o moldings had the holes in the front fenders. Since your car already has the three items that make up the Style Trim Group for a coupe in 68, then there is no way you can prove or disprove their existence originally on the car without original pictures or paperwork. Personally I would leave them as they look better with all of the moldings..................RatPack......................

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:46:54 PM by rat pack »
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 05:58:22 PM »
My belt moulding fuzzy looks nothing like that.  It's riveted on and looks flat.  Also has chrome edge and looks kind of generic.  I have a picture I will load later.  I do have a picture of the car from the 70's?  If I knew someone in the CIA I could get the license plate tag.

68Z28

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 03:40:25 AM »
Fuzzy on belt mouding.

Back.

Doesn't fit door very well either

68Z28