Author Topic: Reproduction 1969 Camaro Coupe Shells  (Read 27244 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Reproduction 1969 Camaro Coupe Shells
« on: January 28, 2006, 05:29:54 AM »
For the 1969 Camaro I see they have the reproduction shells available in convertible.  Has anyone used these yet?  Have the hardtops been made yet as well?  Do they include the rear frame rails?  I am considering buying one if they have them since you can't seem to buy a coupe anywhere that is even remotely not trashed for a decent price.  Also, what are the titling issues if you build one from scratch?

Thanks,

Steve

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
Re: Reproduction 1969 Camaro Coupe Shells
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 05:24:25 PM »
Dynacorn, the manufacturer had a display at Barrett-Jackson which generated a lot of attention. Their reps were talking it up about the coupe however the company line is that the tooling is done and they are awaiting GM licensing approval which they don't have a time-line on but expect will received in mid to late 2006. I took a close look at the convertible shell they had on display and was quite impressed, the detailing is good and yes it does include the rear frame rails. As a general statement all the welded on parts are included and anything that is bolted on is not.

Lloyd.

Z71

• View Profile
    • Amsoil Jobber
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 10:50:37 PM »
Any hint of what the MSRP is going to be?
Mike
Owned new (and still have stashed away) LOL
1966 Impala SS396
1970 Chevelle SS454
1972 El Camino SS350
1973 Chevelle SS350
2002 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

arocars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 05:33:47 AM »
I read in a magazine that the coupes would be $2k more than the conv, so somewhere around $12,500. 

jamespizza

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 04:23:44 PM »
the titling details vary from state to state, but in general will most likely follow the street rod path.  with the street rods, the vehicle is titled as the production vehicle it most resembles.  this is an easy one for us, if we use dynacorn's shell, as it most resembles a camaro/firebird.  then, instead of a VIN, they will probably create a number using the serial number of the shell, or some such combination.  i do not have specifics on the law as i have yet to be involved in a situation like this, i am just regurgitating information i have gathered up to this point.  perhaps someone among us has experience with street rods?
East Coast F-Body Nationals sponsored by New Jersey F-Body Owner's Association, are to be held August 20th, 2006.  Any questions email EastCoastNats@NJFBOA.org.

Look forward to seeing you!

Rich

• CRG Coordinator
  • 68 L30/M20 RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 08:49:07 PM »
Makes us 67-68 owners quite happy, knowing that 69s will become even more common... ;)
68 L30/M20 RS

olympic69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 04:36:30 AM »
One of my pld Chevelle buddies used to call '69 Camaros belly buttons- 'cause everyone had one. I think a coupe would be cool, I would build it the way I want to!
Rob
Olympic Gold X33

"Its all crazy..."

buds396

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 01:50:38 PM »
I could not agree more Rich.

Bud
1968 RS/SS L78
Reading, Pa.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 06:48:22 PM »
Won't affect the price or desirability of an original 69 at all.  A reproduction is still a reproduction - doesn't matter what collector field (cars, antiques, etc) you're into.  Repos are just that - and will always command rero prices - not prices based on the real item. 

Problem will be those that try to decieve the uninformed by passing of the repro as original --- but that's already an old story that we deal with every day with the existing cloning / decieving issues that are already out there.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 08:38:30 PM »
Don't get too cocky...the 67 and 68's are coming soon.

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 09:39:47 PM »

Just my thought for the day after watching this post for a while...

Doesn't it seem sort or crazy and ironic that the aftermarket sees a large enough market for the first gen body style to go to the expense to do all of this - yet GM doesn't see fit to try and retro / clone up a new model to satisfy those (I'm sure there is a substantial number out there) who don't want to or can't build one from scratch, yet have enough dough in hand to just buy that combo high tech / sixties feel for themselves?
   You don't see anyone repoping sixties Mustang clone bodies - maybe because there is a lack of enough interest - then again maybe the new retro model is taking up much of the slack or demand for such things and Ford is raking in the dough because they had enough forsight to do it right and in a proper timeframe...
Randy

z10kl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 03:44:00 AM »
Yea they are going to make 67s also but I bet 69s outsell them 2 to 1.

Rich

• CRG Coordinator
  • 68 L30/M20 RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 11:02:10 PM »
100 to 1 would be even better... ;)
68 L30/M20 RS

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 03:19:29 AM »
There is a "restoration" outfit near Charlotte, NC, where they have been putting new Corvette suspensions, etc. on 1st generation Camaros for a couple of years now.  They have a 69 repo shell and have just started building a car from the ground up. (I think it is for a magazine article.  Didn't catch which magazine.)  When I asked about the price, he said, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!"  So, it strikes me that you would be spending a lot of money, and it would still be a reproduction... which would not hold value like an original.  Dutch is right.  If folks want a repo, GM should make one in the new Camaro.
They did let me drive a 69 with the vette front end, and I did not like it.  Felt awfully jittery on those back NC roads.
67... 68... 69... I'm just happy to have an original 1st generation! ;D
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

69zman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 04:09:36 PM »
I doubt if they will come out with a 67 or 68 body. Why produce something that nobody really wants. There is a reason why  69s are like belly buttons, you would be a freak not to have one.Even GM knew better than to design the 5th gen. camaro after the 67 or 68. It's pretty much a no brainer.I see they are even showing it in Hugger Orange. The only color to have! Maybe all of you will grow up someday and get some real class.I know the real reason why 69's are priced higher than 67 or 68, it all comes down to the simple rule of supply and demand. Those that have them don't want to get rid of them and those that don't have one, wants one.
                                                  69zman