Author Topic: What is the correct color of valve cover hold downs?  (Read 7726 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
What is the correct color of valve cover hold downs?
« on: November 14, 2007, 11:29:29 PM »
I have a 69 SS350 small block with original orange valve covers and the wire looms.  What is the correct color of the hold downs?  Natual finish or orange?

Steve

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Re: What is the correct color of valve cover hold downs?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 12:04:52 AM »
I believe orange is correct.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 06:22:05 AM »
Search for threads.  I can't remember 100%, but I believe JohnZ answered a similar question and said that engines were painted as an assembly, so the bolts would be orange.
68Z28

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 08:24:04 AM »
Search for threads.  I can't remember 100%, but I believe JohnZ answered a similar question and said that engines were painted as an assembly, so the bolts would be orange.

Here's that thread:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2818.msg18102#msg18102

Paul

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 02:49:18 AM »
Okay...I have my original wire looms though and they are not orange.  They still have the black plastic coating though they are quite brittle, but they are definitely not orange.  These attach to the outer valve cover bolts.  Were these added after the engine was painted, and I am assuming during the installation of the spark plug and wires.

Also, if anyone knows, I am assuming the engine was painted as a complete unit out of the car, when was the wires and spark plugs installed...?  Before or after the engine was installed in the car.  What about the distributor and coils, carb, etc.?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 02:34:32 PM »
According to John, looks like (most if not all) the engine dress line for the rest:
http://www.camaros.org/assemblyprocess.shtml
Chevrolet Assembly - Engine Dress Line Operations Details
[Third paragraph]
The VIN derivative numbers were stamped in the next operation on both the engine pad and the transmission, using a gang-stamp holder and a hammer. From here on, all the detail dress items were added (plug wires, coil, engine harness, battery cables, carburetor, pulleys, alternator, starter, fan and clutch, A/C compressor, power steering pump, transmission cooler lines and fill tube, A.I.R. pump, diverter valve and air manifolds, drive belts, dipstick and tube, oil filter, engine and transmission mounts, PCV plumbing, vacuum fittings, fuel pump and fuel line, radiator hoses, and (if applicable) the transmission-mounted 4-speed manual shifter and linkage was installed and adjusted (3-speed manual floor shifters were mounted on the cross-member and adjusted later on the Chassis line). Engine oil and transmission lube were added, and the completed engine/transmission assembly was conveyed to the Chassis Line for installation in the subframe. The engine line inspector wrote the engine, transmission, and carburetor codes on the Broadcast Copy and put the sheet in a box for pickup by a Scheduling clerk (needed to create the P-O-P at the end of the Final Line).

« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 02:37:24 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 03:56:47 PM »
Okay...I have my original wire looms though and they are not orange.  They still have the black plastic coating though they are quite brittle, but they are definitely not orange.  These attach to the outer valve cover bolts.  Were these added after the engine was painted, and I am assuming during the installation of the spark plug and wires.

Also, if anyone knows, I am assuming the engine was painted as a complete unit out of the car, when was the wires and spark plugs installed...?  Before or after the engine was installed in the car.  What about the distributor and coils, carb, etc.?

The plug wire looms were installed on the engine dress line at the car assembly plant - see UPC 6, sheet B9 in the '69 assembly manual, items 17-18-19. The engine was painted after it was built at the engine plant, and had the spark plugs and distributor installed (and masked off) at that time. The plug wires, coil, carb, starter, etc. were all installed on the engine dress line at the car assembly plant, as was anything that shows a part number callout in the assembly manual illustrations.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 01:22:28 PM »
Okay...next question...were any type of washers (regular or locking) used on the valve cover bolts? Or was it just the TR bolt, holddown, loom and valve cover?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 03:59:52 PM »
Okay...next question...were any type of washers (regular or locking) used on the valve cover bolts? Or was it just the TR bolt, holddown, loom and valve cover?

No washers.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG