Author Topic: 2009 Camaro Pictures  (Read 63241 times)

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 Camaro Pictures
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 04:32:56 PM »
I agree with Buds 396. I saw the red car yesterday at the LA Autoshow and it does have an attitude. It's much better in person than in the pics.

Just my rant for the day...

Two schools of thought going on here obviously...

First - we should just be grateful that GN has seen fit to grace us with a new model and dust off the camaro badge to name it...

Second - we think it looks like crap because it isn't a retro model that competes with the new Mustang and Challenger retro models...

I agree it may be nasty looking in person and perform great or better than any other manufacturer's models - but didn't the last gen of Camaros do a lot of that already? And what happened to it?
  If GM wants to gain some temporary press this new camaro model will do that. As with the new Corvette -GM technology will WOW everyone and it will spank the others in performance and new design with it's 22" wheels etc. and all and the younger crowd would love to buy one - but find out they can't for the most part because the tag will be too high. Unlike the Corvette which is only intended to be a flagship and not make GM much if any $$'s, the Camaro name will end up tarnished and interest will fade because of lagging sales - sound all too familiar? Meanwhile the Mustang (and other models) will flourish and feed those who manufacture them a steady flow of cash to buoy them through the tough times - sound again all too familiar?...
  GN doesn't see the forest for the trees and hasn't for years. If they produced a good retro model with decent mechanicals and price, they would certainly capture all of those who wish to in some small part to pay homage to the sixties when the muscle cars were king - except for those poor wayward souls who are so brand loyal that they would end up on the short stick again, just as their forefathers in the sixties and seventies did.
  Instead GM will choose to put out a hot performing, over priced model that not many can afford to buy, with looks that further splits their market...
         The only things that will be retro with this new camaro model will be:
 it will come out well after the Mustang (and others) have - just like the sixties...
 it will certainly outperform those other models - just like the sixties...
 it will capture a following that are proud to own and drive one because of styling and performance features that appeal to them - unfortunately it will be a small following - unlike the sixties...   

The difference between now and the sixties with this model will lie in the fact that (and a lot of this may again sound all too familiar) not many will be able to afford to buy one - not enough will be attracted to it's looks to want one - and sales will lag. Because of these issues the Camaro name will again be destined for obscurity within it's model / platform year.
  With much of the same short sightedness that forced GM to abandon the last Camaro generation line, allowed them to walk away from the money making rear engine police / taxi cab market giving it exclusively to Ford, and now the design limitations that are threatening their truck lines - GM seems to be afraid to take a chance on even things that seem to be almost sure bets even in today's times. Maybe it's just a case of being overly egotistic and thinking they know better than the buying public what we really want!
  They don't seem to be able to see it through the red haze produced by all that red ink... 
  Many in this CRG group have first gen Camaros because of GM brand loyalty and design heitage - GM seems to be the ones that have forgotten both in their foreign ties to other manufacturers producing many parts and current models that make their products look like eveyone else's without much of the price advantages and /or quality built in...
Case in Point...
  There is a kid in my neighbourhood who just bought a new Mustang - slime green with black stripes, this summer. Sometimes when I see him coming down the street from a good distance,(poor eyesight, i grant you somewhat) I have to catch myself thinking it's another restored Mustang tooling around that I haven't seen before - then realize the styling of the '05 model differences and he and his new car. It's what a new retro Camaro should do for all of us GM folks - but won't obviously from these '09 camaro pictures!
 That kid loves his new car to death - covers it up nightly - doesn't even drive it if it looks remotely like it could rain, and spends an unGodly amount of time tinkering and polishing the Hell out of it. He went way in the hole to get it NOT because he was a Ford fanatic, (he traded his lowered Mazda pimpmoblile in on it) but because it looks like all of those cars he has seen in magazines for years restored. It reminds me just how I felt about my new '68 when I was the same age.
  I almost selfishly wish GM would do the same, just so I could see through my own eyes how I would have looked to someone my age now - 37 years ago! - Randy   

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 07:04:44 PM »
I am a big fan of all this retro design, the Mustang is HOT, the Challenger concept is cool but, what are they going to do with these cars 3, 5, 10 years down the road when they are due for redesign? I guess thats what appeals to me about the Camaro concept is, its not a total retro, it has an agressive modern stance, and it has neccessary first gen cues. Now, if GM can make the Camaro a functional, practical, affordable-to-own-and-operate performer, may we have a winner? We definitly don't need another SSR!
Think, If Toyota all of a sudden built a 2-door V-8 rear drive sedan with 300-400 hp and manual trans, would people buy it? Why?
Please don't start a import trashing session, thats not why I wrote this.

John, Car enthusiast
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2006, 08:08:39 PM »
I listened to GM's video link about the new Camaro (OK, capital C), and they implied it was not retro.  That may explain some of our dislike to the design.  Guess we will have to wait and see.... ::)
And some good news: I had supper tonight with a GM dealer who told me an initial GM notice said the price should only be about $200 more than the Mustang! ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 12:58:09 AM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 04:51:13 PM »
The dealer is trying to "impress you" - the dealers know absolutely nothing about the car, it's not an approved program, no objectives, dates or prices have been set, and it's simply a concept at this point to gauge public reaction.  :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

buds396

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 02:00:44 PM »
I think there have been alot of great responses to the Camaro Concept car.  This is why there is vanilla and chocolate or black and white.  I see alot of 67/68, 69 and 70 Camaro in the car, all the way down to the 1st Gen influnenced seat belt buckels, dashboard design, and gauge location.

There are several dealers that have more information on the car than you may think.  They are  heavily involved in making this car come to life.

Let's see what happens in the next few months, I don't think 2009 is written in stone.  The Mustang is hurting GM and Chrysler big time just like in the 60's.  The Challengar is scheduled for 2010, but they have allready said it is going to be moved.

Bud
1968 RS/SS L78
Reading, Pa.

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2006, 04:21:52 PM »
Not to tell GM and Dodge what to do...but they do need to hurry.  I am ready and have been for some time to buy a new car.  I was all geared up for a new Mustang, but decided to wait and see what Chevy's response was since there was a lot of hype about a new retro Camaro coming soon.  SO...I waited.  Now I see the new Camaro and it is less then what I expected.  But, GM still has a chance to fix it and get it made.  Next, I see the Challenger, and I could easily be swayed to give my money to Dodge.  However, my current vehicle is getting older and I really want a new car now.  Mustang is here now as well.  Could I wait for GM & Dodge til 2007, sure.  2008...maybe.  2009...Don't think I can wait that long.  I cant stand the thought of driving my current vehicle for 3 more years.  Mustang has some great options now that its been around for 2 years and is coming out with the Shelby and I have money.  If I do buy a Mustang instead of waiting for GM and Dodge to do something...I am not going to trade it in if I am still paying for it,  just to switch to the johnny come latelys.  If I buy a Mustang, I will own it for at least as long as the payments and then maybe a year or two more, just to enjoy having a car with no payments.  Which means GM and Dodge will not have a chance at getting my money until 2012 or later.  Not sure if anyone else feels the same way as I do.  I have been waiting since 2002 to see what GM is going to do and now they show me something that is not quite up to par but still has lots of potential and hope, and then they tell me I have to wait until 2009 (3 years later).  Well excuse me for getting a little bent out of shape.  If you are going to show me a prototype, then dammit, be ready to make the damn thing by next year.  I know I'm selfish but this is America...the land of next day delivery, instant messaging, and instant potatoes...and I want it now. 

Streetwise guy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 04:22:43 AM »
By 2009 Toyota will probably be making the decisions about any new model Chevrolets anyway.  GM has completley lost their way, and will be bankrupt and owned by a Japanese or European car company within 5 years.  Unless the US gov has some money left over after the crash and supports them like they did Chrysler.
That sounds kind of mean, doesn't it?  I am just completly tired of the transportation appliances they are trying to pass off as new cars.  And I was a die hard GM guy.  I own a Honda, a Dodge truck, and I race an old Neon.  The newest GM vehicle i own is an 82 Camaro.  I really don't see that changing soon.

bjr68z28

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2006, 01:36:31 AM »
In my opinion GM missed a golden opportunity.  Input from Camaro enthusiast like the people on this forum would have been very valuable information for their design team.   But then what do we know?   We only live , breath and invest thousands of $ in first gen. Camaros.

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2006, 07:38:40 AM »
I hate to say it... but this is one ugly camaro....gah i have never said that about a camaro.... but this one bites the cheese!!!...Gonna definatley got with the chally now for my fav new car
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

dinosaur

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2006, 04:35:24 PM »
I'm not impressed at all with this weak try at putting out a new Camaro.  I own a '69 and this looks more like a re-skinned Caddy XLR than anything.

McKenzieDave

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006, 03:20:54 AM »
I don't think they give enough pennicillin at the local clinic to cure this piece.  I've made honest attempts for years to love the Chevrolet brand, I cut my teeth in big block junkers.  I've lost my confidence in GM.  At least 5 years of garbage and no sign that it will get better.  Can you say Avalanche?  Dave

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 06:55:22 PM »
My .02 cents.

I absolutely love it...I love the retro look (even though they claim it is not "retro, it sure as hell is).  It's the most exciting thing to come out of GM in a long LONG time...most everything they design these days is a "rental car".   That and they're sticking "SS" badges on what I consider "unworthy" vehicles.  The GTO was a huge dissapointment stylewise, a Cavalier on steroids....but it does have the best interior GM has ever offered bar none.  The 4th gen, while beautiful in it's own right looks very tired now (surprise surprise being on a 20 year old chassis)

This new Camaro Concept looks better than the C6 Vette as well as the Z06 to me...but I've always been a Camaro fan...not a Vette fan.  ;)

Lets hope they don't water it down and make another "rental" offering.
1968 Camaro RS/SS 350 Coupe

tngmotorsports

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2006, 04:45:07 AM »
I could do without the Cadilac CTS looking V grill and the silly 21/22 wheels, otherwise I like it. I was hoping to add a Fifth generation Camaro to our other three generations when my daughter started driving, But GM dropped the ball, so I had to switch to the Dark side and get her an 06 Mustang(even though my Chevy orange blood curdles when I drive it, Ford did a hell of a job). I hope that Dodge builds the Challenger, so GM will get thier "head out" and build "US" a new Camaro SOON!   HEY GM, ARE YOU LISTINING?

devindl

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2009, 09:52:15 PM »
I do quality work and paint repairs for the Camaro bumpers in Oshawa, i've dealt with all bumpers and paint/components coming out of Oshawa Car plant.  The picture shown is NOT the SS version. I'm not a GM fan but the Camaro is a HOT car.

devindl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 10:07:36 PM »
If you're in the market for a new age muscle car, wait for the Camaro, it'll beat the Challenger & Mustang...plus it's the hottest car to come from GM in a 100 yrs.  There are over 8000 Cam's built so far.

anything