Author Topic: 2009 Camaro Pictures  (Read 63237 times)

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
2009 Camaro Pictures
« on: January 07, 2006, 09:04:24 PM »

Video link here:

(link changed by road and track)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 11:33:10 PM by Mark »
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 Camaro Pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 02:34:35 AM »
   If that is supposed to what we have all been waiting for - its a huge disappointment to me at least. The new Mustang although much moderized, still has a lot more styling built into the basic shape of the body itself that lets you know in no uncertain terms what it is and it's heritage at a single glance.
   This new camaro look, (I'm using no capital 'c' intentionally here) if the picture shown is a good representation, aside from the induction hood, eggcrate grille, some side window shape, and the rear quarter immitation grilles doesn't give much of a '69 let alone earlier model feel in my estimation - rather it looks a lot like it could be more of a knockoff of one of the new Chrysler models than an early Camaro design.
    I know I'm may be being a bit anal about it - but after having waited this long and watching GM act on it well after just about anybody else who has chosen to do retro models has them out - I would have expected something better. Considering how the GM design guys already had lots good stuff to work from with their own first gen designs over the Ford and Chrysler people in my honest opinion, I would consider they have dropped the ball again if this one ever comes to be...
   As proven with the last generation of Camaros, you can throw in great mechanicals and at decent prices - but if it isn't dressed in a body package that appeals to the masses - it won't sell squat!   
    I still think it looks like it could be hiding a FWD chassis - please tell me my worst fears are not going to come true in that respect... --Randy

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 05:16:06 PM »
Heres the video link.  R&T jumped the gun and GM probably shut them down, but its to late as other people have already copied it and now it resides elsewhere on the web;

mms://c9o.earthcache.net/woc-01.media.globix.net/COMP000787MOD1/roadandtrack/2006/0601_camaro_hi.wmv

Car looks better in the video than in the picture.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 05:57:16 PM by Mark »
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 05:40:29 PM »
Can some one supply a downloadable link for this Video. The above link doesn't work for me.

Thanx
Buddy

P.S.  I think it looks pretty good:)

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 05:54:51 PM »
Cut and paste it into your address bar on your browser.  Don't put HTTP:// or www. infront of it, just the text as written and nothing else.  Works fine for me that way.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 05:58:27 PM by Mark »
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

shift1313

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 11:55:37 PM »
I like it.  much better then a 4th gen anyways.

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 07:02:52 PM »
I tried cut and past and didn't work.

I turned off my firewall and it worked.

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 05:22:03 AM »
Really like the new Camaro.    I agree that it does need some changes that I am sure will happen.  (ie:  the side mirrors, more realistic wheels, etc. )  Overall...not too bad.  However, did anyone see the new challenger for 2007 or 08?  goto: 

http://racedriven.wordpress.com/ 

or goto   

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/07/20/dodge-challenger-concept-set-for-detroit-auto-show/       

or google it.  WOW, did Dodge hit this one out of the park.  The whole car does it for me, and with their new platforms...OMG.  Do be honest, I have owned 4 first gen Camaros and the closet I have ever gotten to dodge is my 70 Plymouth Duster and my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  This Challenger go past where the Camaro prototype falls short.  Even has great pics of the engine and interior.  Going only by what I have seen and read, I would have to say the Challenger is my choice.  Guess Ill see when I can touch and fee them and acutally buy one.  I'm ready for another car wars go get my money.  The Camaro looks forced together to obtain the 69 Highlights (falls short at the taillights though).  Whereas, the Challenger hit it on the head.  Nicely done.  Guess I'll wait to see what the final Camaro looks like.  I have owned (4) first gen Camaros and love them all and will probably build a 5th pre tour machine soon.  I am trying to be brand loyal.  But Chevy needs to tweek the proto a little to get me to buy...otherwise I may go to Dodge and see what they have.  Don't get me wrong, I love that GM is doing something finally and it looks great, but I will need more info and pricing to lay down my money.  Challenger was one of my favorites mopars growing up and I could have easily swayed that way back then.  The same may still hold true.   SO wait and see. 

DeanZ10

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 04:52:01 PM »
No where near what they need to do to compete with the challenger and mustang!!
I pray they go back to the drawing board! Although, I guess for those of us who own a first gen camaro,
This car will certainally keep up our prices!!

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 09:26:57 PM »
I have to agree with Dutch.  This is a camaro --lower case "c".  That seems to be GM's problem.  It is good that the name Camaro may get back into the GM line, however.  I hope they will refine it (and retro it) quite a bit before it comes out.  And why wait till 2009?!?   :( >:( ???
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

ferrarimanf355

• Kunoichis dig the Z28
    • View Profile
    • Anime News Network
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 05:49:54 AM »
Yuck. This is a CINO (Camaro In Name Only). I honestly thought that there was no way GM would screw this up. I should learn not to hope. :( Personally, I think GM needs to go back to the drawing board and make a modern reinterpritation of the '69, much like how the Challenger concept is a modern reinterpritation of the 1970 model. (although I hear the front grill was based of the '71 model...) The design of the Challenger is a grand slam for Dodge, while the camaro (lower case "c" for me, too...) is an inning ending, double play-inducing groundout to the second baseman. Sad, really. :(

buds396

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 02:27:16 PM »
Keep in mind this is a concept car.  Seeing the car unveiled on Monday was an opportunity of a life time.  The interior of the concept car was wild.  If they build the car with the same interior I'll buy one for sure.  I don't think the 21" in front and 22" rear tires will be offered.  The lines are great and watching it go down Main Street, as Chevy called it, the car had a very mean and nasty stance.  The car really gives off a bad attitude appearance.   Hold your finial opinions until you see the car in person.  There will be one of the two Camaro Concept cars at the Camaro Nationals at Carlisle in June, take a look.

As far as the Challengar, it was there too.  It is very much like the Camaro Concept.  In fact they are very similar.  It looks very different from the pictures that were printed.  I don't know if it was the orange color but it didn't look as nasty.
1968 RS/SS L78
Reading, Pa.

sshippe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 04:38:01 PM »
I agree with Buds 396.  I saw the red car yesterday at the LA Autoshow and it does have an attitude.  It's much better in person than in the pics. 

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 04:48:00 AM »
I hope it will be affordable for the working class.
A R/S (hidden headlight) grille would be nice as an option also.

John
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

ferrarimanf355

• Kunoichis dig the Z28
    • View Profile
    • Anime News Network
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 05:28:34 AM »
Keep in mind this is a concept car. Seeing the car unveiled on Monday was an opportunity of a life time. The interior of the concept car was wild. If they build the car with the same interior I'll buy one for sure. I don't think the 21" in front and 22" rear tires will be offered. The lines are great and watching it go down Main Street, as Chevy called it, the car had a very mean and nasty stance. The car really gives off a bad attitude appearance. Hold your finial opinions until you see the car in person. There will be one of the two Camaro Concept cars at the Camaro Nationals at Carlisle in June, take a look.

As far as the Challengar, it was there too. It is very much like the Camaro Concept. In fact they are very similar. It looks very different from the pictures that were printed. I don't know if it was the orange color but it didn't look as nasty.

I don't know. You could be right, and it could be better in person... but you know what they say about first impressions, and it's looking grim to me. I really thought GM would do it right. Instead, they appear to use the designers of the Pontiac Aztek to curn out this turd. I will give them credit for using the LS2 V8 and making it rear wheel drive, because a front wheel drive Camaro would be the sign of the Rapture... but as is, the CINO is the third ugliest car design I ever laid my eyes on. (The only cars that beat it in the "crashed into an ugly stick" department are the Aztek and the Enzo Ferrari. Sorry, but if I pay $650,000 supercar that does 210 MPH, I shouldn't have to park it in a secluded place for fear of the Saleen S7 and Lamborghini owners laughing at how ugly my supercar is...)
I say fire the designers responsible for this travesty, bring in designers with taste and buy them a mint condition '69 coupe so they can have something to work with.

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 04:32:56 PM »
I agree with Buds 396. I saw the red car yesterday at the LA Autoshow and it does have an attitude. It's much better in person than in the pics.

Just my rant for the day...

Two schools of thought going on here obviously...

First - we should just be grateful that GN has seen fit to grace us with a new model and dust off the camaro badge to name it...

Second - we think it looks like crap because it isn't a retro model that competes with the new Mustang and Challenger retro models...

I agree it may be nasty looking in person and perform great or better than any other manufacturer's models - but didn't the last gen of Camaros do a lot of that already? And what happened to it?
  If GM wants to gain some temporary press this new camaro model will do that. As with the new Corvette -GM technology will WOW everyone and it will spank the others in performance and new design with it's 22" wheels etc. and all and the younger crowd would love to buy one - but find out they can't for the most part because the tag will be too high. Unlike the Corvette which is only intended to be a flagship and not make GM much if any $$'s, the Camaro name will end up tarnished and interest will fade because of lagging sales - sound all too familiar? Meanwhile the Mustang (and other models) will flourish and feed those who manufacture them a steady flow of cash to buoy them through the tough times - sound again all too familiar?...
  GN doesn't see the forest for the trees and hasn't for years. If they produced a good retro model with decent mechanicals and price, they would certainly capture all of those who wish to in some small part to pay homage to the sixties when the muscle cars were king - except for those poor wayward souls who are so brand loyal that they would end up on the short stick again, just as their forefathers in the sixties and seventies did.
  Instead GM will choose to put out a hot performing, over priced model that not many can afford to buy, with looks that further splits their market...
         The only things that will be retro with this new camaro model will be:
 it will come out well after the Mustang (and others) have - just like the sixties...
 it will certainly outperform those other models - just like the sixties...
 it will capture a following that are proud to own and drive one because of styling and performance features that appeal to them - unfortunately it will be a small following - unlike the sixties...   

The difference between now and the sixties with this model will lie in the fact that (and a lot of this may again sound all too familiar) not many will be able to afford to buy one - not enough will be attracted to it's looks to want one - and sales will lag. Because of these issues the Camaro name will again be destined for obscurity within it's model / platform year.
  With much of the same short sightedness that forced GM to abandon the last Camaro generation line, allowed them to walk away from the money making rear engine police / taxi cab market giving it exclusively to Ford, and now the design limitations that are threatening their truck lines - GM seems to be afraid to take a chance on even things that seem to be almost sure bets even in today's times. Maybe it's just a case of being overly egotistic and thinking they know better than the buying public what we really want!
  They don't seem to be able to see it through the red haze produced by all that red ink... 
  Many in this CRG group have first gen Camaros because of GM brand loyalty and design heitage - GM seems to be the ones that have forgotten both in their foreign ties to other manufacturers producing many parts and current models that make their products look like eveyone else's without much of the price advantages and /or quality built in...
Case in Point...
  There is a kid in my neighbourhood who just bought a new Mustang - slime green with black stripes, this summer. Sometimes when I see him coming down the street from a good distance,(poor eyesight, i grant you somewhat) I have to catch myself thinking it's another restored Mustang tooling around that I haven't seen before - then realize the styling of the '05 model differences and he and his new car. It's what a new retro Camaro should do for all of us GM folks - but won't obviously from these '09 camaro pictures!
 That kid loves his new car to death - covers it up nightly - doesn't even drive it if it looks remotely like it could rain, and spends an unGodly amount of time tinkering and polishing the Hell out of it. He went way in the hole to get it NOT because he was a Ford fanatic, (he traded his lowered Mazda pimpmoblile in on it) but because it looks like all of those cars he has seen in magazines for years restored. It reminds me just how I felt about my new '68 when I was the same age.
  I almost selfishly wish GM would do the same, just so I could see through my own eyes how I would have looked to someone my age now - 37 years ago! - Randy   

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 07:04:44 PM »
I am a big fan of all this retro design, the Mustang is HOT, the Challenger concept is cool but, what are they going to do with these cars 3, 5, 10 years down the road when they are due for redesign? I guess thats what appeals to me about the Camaro concept is, its not a total retro, it has an agressive modern stance, and it has neccessary first gen cues. Now, if GM can make the Camaro a functional, practical, affordable-to-own-and-operate performer, may we have a winner? We definitly don't need another SSR!
Think, If Toyota all of a sudden built a 2-door V-8 rear drive sedan with 300-400 hp and manual trans, would people buy it? Why?
Please don't start a import trashing session, thats not why I wrote this.

John, Car enthusiast
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2006, 08:08:39 PM »
I listened to GM's video link about the new Camaro (OK, capital C), and they implied it was not retro.  That may explain some of our dislike to the design.  Guess we will have to wait and see.... ::)
And some good news: I had supper tonight with a GM dealer who told me an initial GM notice said the price should only be about $200 more than the Mustang! ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 12:58:09 AM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 04:51:13 PM »
The dealer is trying to "impress you" - the dealers know absolutely nothing about the car, it's not an approved program, no objectives, dates or prices have been set, and it's simply a concept at this point to gauge public reaction.  :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

buds396

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 02:00:44 PM »
I think there have been alot of great responses to the Camaro Concept car.  This is why there is vanilla and chocolate or black and white.  I see alot of 67/68, 69 and 70 Camaro in the car, all the way down to the 1st Gen influnenced seat belt buckels, dashboard design, and gauge location.

There are several dealers that have more information on the car than you may think.  They are  heavily involved in making this car come to life.

Let's see what happens in the next few months, I don't think 2009 is written in stone.  The Mustang is hurting GM and Chrysler big time just like in the 60's.  The Challengar is scheduled for 2010, but they have allready said it is going to be moved.

Bud
1968 RS/SS L78
Reading, Pa.

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2006, 04:21:52 PM »
Not to tell GM and Dodge what to do...but they do need to hurry.  I am ready and have been for some time to buy a new car.  I was all geared up for a new Mustang, but decided to wait and see what Chevy's response was since there was a lot of hype about a new retro Camaro coming soon.  SO...I waited.  Now I see the new Camaro and it is less then what I expected.  But, GM still has a chance to fix it and get it made.  Next, I see the Challenger, and I could easily be swayed to give my money to Dodge.  However, my current vehicle is getting older and I really want a new car now.  Mustang is here now as well.  Could I wait for GM & Dodge til 2007, sure.  2008...maybe.  2009...Don't think I can wait that long.  I cant stand the thought of driving my current vehicle for 3 more years.  Mustang has some great options now that its been around for 2 years and is coming out with the Shelby and I have money.  If I do buy a Mustang instead of waiting for GM and Dodge to do something...I am not going to trade it in if I am still paying for it,  just to switch to the johnny come latelys.  If I buy a Mustang, I will own it for at least as long as the payments and then maybe a year or two more, just to enjoy having a car with no payments.  Which means GM and Dodge will not have a chance at getting my money until 2012 or later.  Not sure if anyone else feels the same way as I do.  I have been waiting since 2002 to see what GM is going to do and now they show me something that is not quite up to par but still has lots of potential and hope, and then they tell me I have to wait until 2009 (3 years later).  Well excuse me for getting a little bent out of shape.  If you are going to show me a prototype, then dammit, be ready to make the damn thing by next year.  I know I'm selfish but this is America...the land of next day delivery, instant messaging, and instant potatoes...and I want it now. 

Streetwise guy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 04:22:43 AM »
By 2009 Toyota will probably be making the decisions about any new model Chevrolets anyway.  GM has completley lost their way, and will be bankrupt and owned by a Japanese or European car company within 5 years.  Unless the US gov has some money left over after the crash and supports them like they did Chrysler.
That sounds kind of mean, doesn't it?  I am just completly tired of the transportation appliances they are trying to pass off as new cars.  And I was a die hard GM guy.  I own a Honda, a Dodge truck, and I race an old Neon.  The newest GM vehicle i own is an 82 Camaro.  I really don't see that changing soon.

bjr68z28

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2006, 01:36:31 AM »
In my opinion GM missed a golden opportunity.  Input from Camaro enthusiast like the people on this forum would have been very valuable information for their design team.   But then what do we know?   We only live , breath and invest thousands of $ in first gen. Camaros.

ogbean

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2006, 07:38:40 AM »
I hate to say it... but this is one ugly camaro....gah i have never said that about a camaro.... but this one bites the cheese!!!...Gonna definatley got with the chally now for my fav new car
David

1968 L30 4spd ???, Rally Green, White Vinyl Top, Ivory Houndstooth Interior (716), D55 console, D91 Stripe

dinosaur

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2006, 04:35:24 PM »
I'm not impressed at all with this weak try at putting out a new Camaro.  I own a '69 and this looks more like a re-skinned Caddy XLR than anything.

McKenzieDave

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006, 03:20:54 AM »
I don't think they give enough pennicillin at the local clinic to cure this piece.  I've made honest attempts for years to love the Chevrolet brand, I cut my teeth in big block junkers.  I've lost my confidence in GM.  At least 5 years of garbage and no sign that it will get better.  Can you say Avalanche?  Dave

MMMM_ERT

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 06:55:22 PM »
My .02 cents.

I absolutely love it...I love the retro look (even though they claim it is not "retro, it sure as hell is).  It's the most exciting thing to come out of GM in a long LONG time...most everything they design these days is a "rental car".   That and they're sticking "SS" badges on what I consider "unworthy" vehicles.  The GTO was a huge dissapointment stylewise, a Cavalier on steroids....but it does have the best interior GM has ever offered bar none.  The 4th gen, while beautiful in it's own right looks very tired now (surprise surprise being on a 20 year old chassis)

This new Camaro Concept looks better than the C6 Vette as well as the Z06 to me...but I've always been a Camaro fan...not a Vette fan.  ;)

Lets hope they don't water it down and make another "rental" offering.
1968 Camaro RS/SS 350 Coupe

tngmotorsports

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2006, 04:45:07 AM »
I could do without the Cadilac CTS looking V grill and the silly 21/22 wheels, otherwise I like it. I was hoping to add a Fifth generation Camaro to our other three generations when my daughter started driving, But GM dropped the ball, so I had to switch to the Dark side and get her an 06 Mustang(even though my Chevy orange blood curdles when I drive it, Ford did a hell of a job). I hope that Dodge builds the Challenger, so GM will get thier "head out" and build "US" a new Camaro SOON!   HEY GM, ARE YOU LISTINING?

devindl

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2009, 09:52:15 PM »
I do quality work and paint repairs for the Camaro bumpers in Oshawa, i've dealt with all bumpers and paint/components coming out of Oshawa Car plant.  The picture shown is NOT the SS version. I'm not a GM fan but the Camaro is a HOT car.

devindl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 10:07:36 PM »
If you're in the market for a new age muscle car, wait for the Camaro, it'll beat the Challenger & Mustang...plus it's the hottest car to come from GM in a 100 yrs.  There are over 8000 Cam's built so far.

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2009, 12:31:06 AM »
I saw a new camaro driving in Toronto a couple of weeks back on my way out of the airport and I must say I was completely unimpressed. It was a black version (couldn't tell if it was a specific mdel ie: SS or otherwise) with the new age big rims and blacked out this and that and it could easily have been a new import model from Japan or a prototype CTS Caddy as mentioned - but it certainly didn't do anything for me at all as it actually looked stubbier and taller than I expected it would from the pictures I saw posted. I have a friend with a new orange Challenger that actually looks more like it should be labelled with a bowtie than this one I saw and another friend with a newer Mustang that is much more appealing - Whew it took a lot to say that!
So Gm has made 8000 or so of these so far - Wow! Will they still be in business to distribute them soon?
They missed the mark so badly in the design and very obviously with the slow timing of this (who ever heard of a new model taking 3 or so years to launch) that I doubt even if GM does stay in business, they will sell enough to cover even part of their costs involved and another camaro platform will be doomed. 
Too bad - but it only bookmarks again just how badly GM got lost in the world of model design and production...
They should give every one of those new 8000 new models kicking around to CAW types as the severance package they deserve and send them down the river for being so greedy and idiotic.
If any more manage to made before the doors close or the model folds, they should go as severance to each one cut from the associated design, marketing, and executive groups so they can sit at home unemployed and stare at it until they realize how badly they screwed up the brand and model names - IMHO - Randy

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »
And stuff like this item taken from MSN this morning doesn't doesn't make GM  look very credible. They certainly don't need crap like this going on when trying to launch a new model in this economic environment - one would think after all the wait and hype that they might have worked a lot of the bugs out by the time the new camaro reached the consumers!

'GM recalls 300 new Camaros due to cable problem
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
May 06, 2009
DETROIT - General Motors Corp. is recalling about 300 new Chevrolet Camaros because a battery cable could rub against the starter motor, wearing the insulation and potentially causing the car to stop running or fail to start.
The voluntary recall applies only to Camaros with V-8 engines. The company says in extreme cases the cable problem could cause a fire, but no fires have been reported.
GM spokesman Dan Flores says the company has made about 1,400 of the V-8 equipped 2010 Camaros and 300 have been sold. The unsold models will be fixed before they are delivered to customers.
Flores says GM will tow the cars to dealers and offer free loaner vehicles and oil changes.'