Author Topic: N/66 option phase-out for 1969 Camaro production  (Read 17517 times)

Flowjoe

• View Profile
Re: N/66 option phase-out for 1969 Camaro production
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 11:45:09 PM »

In the case above with the N66 wheels, the car would have to be built in the time period the option was available first. Also the installation of the option would have to be identical to factory. In the case of cowl induction hood the relay, hole above fuse box and accelerator linkage would be check proper location and originality of components.

That sort of thing is a no brainer...if the car's build date predates or antidates the availability if the option then the judge's decision is clear.  That was not the thrust of my question.  Options that were readily available over a longer period of time (i.e. spoilers, gauges, bumperettes,etc) were more of my concern.  Are the judges comfortable saying that, for example, an 11A '69 LA built Z/28 that currently has spoilers and gauges but has no documentation did not leave the factory that way and mark it down accordingly?  Which amounts to calling the owner a liar without much evidence...I have a '69 SS350 (my wife's, LA built, no paper work) that currently has a full gauge package..which I added (because she wanted it that way) and spoilers (also added for the same reason).  I would divulge that I added those items but others might not....but if I didn't say, how are the judges to know?

Regarding the dealer installed items. That opens up a can of worms itself, for instance was this item an RPO or over the counter. My take is that over the counter items were NOT a factory item ( RPO) and shouldn't be considered in a" Original Judged Class/Factory Born Class".  If the option that was added was an available option during that cars build period, and  they have real verifiable documentation that the deal installed it fron new,then I feel some consideration should be given.

If I owned a car with over the counter items and accessories, I would have it judged without first and then add the option or accessory as I see fit. This is only my opinion, and also feel the more exceptions made,  the more diluted judging becomes.

I have struggled with this very problem.  I have a '69 307 coupe (TH350, AC, PDB, PS) which I purchased from the original owner.  63K miles and a pristine interior (needs a repaint outside).  The original owner passed on the brown '69 RS his wife wanted when buying this car so had the dealer install a vinyl roof and add body side moulding to make it up to her.  Now in my book the body side moulding should go.  But the vinyl roof is another question.  It's applied like a '68 roof not a '69 so immediately looks odd, but vinyl roofs were factory options and this one has been there since "new" just not since it left the factory.  Conceptually I struggle with this every time I look at the car. 

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 12:36:29 AM »

In the case above with the N66 wheels, the car would have to be built in the time period the option was available first. Also the installation of the option would have to be identical to factory. In the case of cowl induction hood the relay, hole above fuse box and accelerator linkage would be check proper location and originality of components.

That sort of thing is a no brainer...if the car's build date predates or antidates the availability if the option then the judge's decision is clear.  That was not the thrust of my question.  Options that were readily available over a longer period of time (i.e. spoilers, gauges, bumperettes,etc) were more of my concern.  Are the judges comfortable saying that, for example, an 11A '69 LA built Z/28 that currently has spoilers and gauges but has no documentation did not leave the factory that way and mark it down accordingly?  Which amounts to calling the owner a liar without much evidence...I have a '69 SS350 (my wife's, LA built, no paper work) that currently has a full gauge package..which I added (because she wanted it that way) and spoilers (also added for the same reason).  I would divulge that I added those items but others might not....but if I didn't say, how are the judges to know?

I would not worry about adding the options if they were available and you installed them as the factory.
Now if your cars exterior or interior doesn't match your trim tag you would most likely receive a deduction. The only POSSIBLE exception would be if you indeed had dealer documentation, then you could at least plead your case with documentation ( not real keen on hypotheticals).

Unless you are going to have this car judged at the concours level, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Like I stated previously have it judge without the vinyl roof first and then install it as you please.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 05:30:55 AM »
I had a 8000 mile 69 Yenko that got a 68 vinyl top when new. It was ordered with the top but came without it so Yenko ordered a new vinyl top and installed it but it was a 68 and not a 69. I actually like the looks of it. You could never remove that top but it sounds like it might get docked points.

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 07:24:25 AM »
I would not worry about adding the options if they were available and you installed them as the factory.
Now if your cars exterior or interior doesn't match your trim tag you would most likely receive a deduction. The only POSSIBLE exception would be if you indeed had dealer documentation, then you could at least plead your case with documentation ( not real keen on hypotheticals).

Unless you are going to have this car judged at the concours level, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Like I stated previously have it judge without the vinyl roof first and then install it as you please.

I'm not worried about my  wife's car, we built to make us happy...it has a matching drive train and all the right pieces but we cahnged the interior color and added the spoilers and the gauges (way back in '97)..it's real clean and real pretty but not a concourse job for sure...I mention it to illustrate the point.  It is a legit SS and has bolt ons that are consistant with SS models  (the gauges and spoilers)...how - hypothetically - would it be judged?  Can only cars with a paper trail be fully judged?  will all cars without a paper trail receive deductions?  I am simply curious to hear how the judges deal with what I see as a very sticky situation.  BTW, the car has N66 wheels on it and is an early January build - of course they will fool no one here as they are 15" rims from wheel vintiques...look real cool though

SEE.  PRETTY!  Just not as delivered (entirely)
;D :D

I'm not really concerned with judging for the 307 Coupe, but rather with preserving the historical integrity of a car that has not been messed with (the SS above was ridden hard and put away wet so I didn't mind adding a few items here and there)  and has low mileage.  I know that if I keep the dealer installed vinyl roof then every time the car shows up somewhere somebody will feel obliged to point out that it is not a correct roof...so to me the question sort of boils down to whether or not I want to listen to it....but it also had relevance to our discussion.

The judging does interest me to the extent that I'm curious how standrads are established and how potential areas of conflict are anticipated and addressed.  I see the process and standards for 1st gens as pretty well defined (I'm just ignorant of some thigns and wish to be educated)...in the 2nd gen arena I'm seeing less evolution on standards, so I'd love to see how 1st gen judges resolve the issues.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 12:38:26 PM »

I'm not worried about my  wife's car, we built to make us happy...it has a matching drive train and all the right pieces but we cahnged the interior color and added the spoilers and the gauges (way back in '97)..it's real clean and real pretty but not a concourse job for sure...I mention it to illustrate the point.  It is a legit SS and has bolt ons that are consistant with SS models  (the gauges and spoilers)...how - hypothetically - would it be judged?  Can only cars with a paper trail be fully judged?  will all cars without a paper trail receive deductions?  I am simply curious to hear how the judges deal with what I see as a very sticky situation.  BTW, the car has N66 wheels on it and is an early January build - of course they will fool no one here as they are 15" rims from wheel vintiques...look real cool though

I can only speak to the survivor class program I'm involved with regarding points and judging. We don't deduct points for not having paperwork, but do provide bonus points for cars that do. In our class the cars themselves are the documentation. Having an  owners manual is a requirement however.

SEE.  PRETTY!  Just not as delivered (entirely)
;D :D

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 07:30:06 PM by paceme »
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 12:44:39 PM »
I'm not really concerned with judging for the 307 Coupe, but rather with preserving the historical integrity of a car that has not been messed with (the SS above was ridden hard and put away wet so I didn't mind adding a few items here and there)  and has low mileage.  I know that if I keep the dealer installed vinyl roof then every time the car shows up somewhere somebody will feel obliged to point out that it is not a correct roof...so to me the question sort of boils down to whether or not I want to listen to it....but it also had relevance to our discussion.

Regarding people pointing out the vinyl roof; just document the cars history with a story board explaining the cars unique and interesting history. This way you don't need to repeat and explain this issue over and over.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 07:28:32 PM by paceme »
Steve Shauger