Author Topic: PTB on Los Angeles Camaros  (Read 50429 times)

detfox

• View Profile
Re: PTB on Los Angeles Camaros
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 03:57:31 PM »
I agree with Jerry. No PTB stamps used at the LOS plant back then but there have been a lot of people putting them on during restorations. It is frustrating to see but that's part of life, I guess. Kind of reminds me of the Caution:Fan stickers. No matter how many times it gets explained that Camaros never came with those, some people just feel compelled to put them on.

-Jon
I almost hate posting this, because as far as I'm concerned what Jerry says is gospel.  However, I met this older gentlemen who was the original owner of a survivor 69 Z28.  He claimed that all he has ever done was minimal maintenance (and it looked like it too).  The engine compartment was shabby, but I did noticed a fadded Caution sticker on the fan shroud.  I asked him about the sticker, and he said its always been there.  Just wanted to post this for sake of discussion.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 04:56:47 PM »
However, I met this older gentlemen who was the original owner of a survivor 69 Z28.  He claimed that all he has ever done was minimal maintenance (and it looked like it too).  The engine compartment was shabby, but I did noticed a fadded Caution sticker on the fan shroud.  I asked him about the sticker, and he said its always been there.  Just wanted to post this for sake of discussion.

Someone added it - that's a Ford part, and it didn't get installed in a GM assembly plant. He probably added it himself, and just doesn't remember it. :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 06:55:27 PM »
May be a Ford sticker, but its worth remembering. A friend of mine many years ago reached in to adjust the timing on his ford, from the front, (front distributor if I remember correctly) and wound up with both forearms slashed repeatedly by the fan blades. It wasn't pretty. MANY stiches later he returned from the ER.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

ChevyThunder

• View Profile
    • Pro Racing
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2011, 04:50:53 PM »
I just wanted to bring this thread up because I have always been told that the colors on the PBT stamps should not be mixed. I see a few photos of cars in this thread that have both green and orange stamps combined.

Can anyone say with certainty that the stamps were either not mixed or on occasion were mixed? And if both colors were used on one car is that common or minimal and what may have been the cause for both colors to be used?
1969 X44 COPO
1969 X33 RS Z/28

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 11:41:26 PM »
They are mixed.

rat427

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 01:56:58 AM »
I have questioned this on the mixed colors years ago. I'm Friends with a well knowed restoration shop on the east cost who specializes in only 67-69 Camaro's since the 80's and noticed he was mixing the colors on his restored cars & questioned this. I had never owned or seen a original car with mixed colors in 25 years. I offered them good money if they could show me one with the mixed colors and after five years I'm still waiting.

ONLY in the past year have I seen the mixed colors. I have now seen two six cycl cars in one month with the mixed colors.

In my research!

99% one color
1% mixed

I have been taking & saving pictures of every original  Camaro with the PTB stamps for over ten years now and have hundreds of pictures to prove this.

rat427

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 02:56:10 AM »
Also something you never see on the restored cars is the T stamp under the trim tag.

80% of the cars I have pictures of will have the T under the tag.

I would also say 80% will be all orange PBT'S.

& 20% with all green PBT'S.

I have pictures of two cars with the letter F on the firewall.

Have pictures also of three trim tags with a red X on the trim tag.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 03:47:35 AM »
Yes most seem to be all one color but even you are now noticing mixed.

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »
rat427, Have you seen the "X" under the trim tag on any LA built cars or just Norwood?
Rick
69 RS/Z28

rat427

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 06:08:39 PM »
rat427, Have you seen the "X" under the trim tag on any LA built cars or just Norwood?
I have only seen it on the Norwood cars.  Two cars with the Red X on the trim tag and one with the X under the tag on the firewall.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 09:40:01 AM »
This is a 69 Firebird local car it's entire life (know the car from new) and took the pics as the trim "T" was upside down on both sides of firewall. You can see how faint the green is compared to the orange. And the "T" is under the trim tag on the left side.

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 12:31:16 PM »
Sorry about the first picture as it should show the upside down "T" to the left of the green stampings and it's on the picture but when I post it, it is cut off. Tried with no text and it showed upon review but when posted same results. Gotta figure out how to do this correctly ;D
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

IZRSSS

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 01:00:29 PM »
You did just fine Chick. Use the slide bar at the bottom of the post. Also, if you keep your down sizing to just under 150KB it'll be fine.

ChevyThunder

• View Profile
    • Pro Racing
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2011, 01:26:51 PM »
Then there is the yellow .... :)

Seriously, I ask because one of the National judges told me recently that all one color and mostly orange.  Of course he could be wrong. Plus the fact every Camaro shop that sells first gen parts has been selling these stamps for years so who know how many of these firewalls have been stamped.

I would be interested in what Steve and the guys in the Vintage Certification Program have seen
1969 X44 COPO
1969 X33 RS Z/28

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2011, 03:22:41 PM »
MR,
 To answer the first post, Yes,  I have seen many LA cars with PBT stamps. They are always located behind the "original" non-coded  DELCO MORINE stamped brake booster and Master cylinders with no bleeders on these original cars. I remember a mag with some "rossetta stone" story years ago about all the paint making codes and since then this has been an mainstay  for "restorers". ( bowtie mirrors on 67's is another)
   VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

anything