Author Topic: what paint is used to paint the dash of a 69 Camaro?  (Read 22795 times)

TCHVETTE

• View Profile
what paint is used to paint the dash of a 69 Camaro?
« on: May 14, 2007, 12:15:49 AM »
I am new to this forum.  In August we started to restorea 69 Big Block.  Can some one help me with the paint for the dash?  The interior code is 727 and the dash is black.  I have been told that the dash should be black semi gloss at 30%.  Is this correct and where is the best place to purchase the paint.  Thanks in advance for all of your help! :)

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: what paint is used to paint the dash of a 69 Camaro?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 05:44:56 AM »
I don't know about the face, but MacNeish says the top is "suede paint finish" whatever the hell that is, I don't know.
68Z28

zdld17

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 12:02:43 PM »
Definately does not need any gloss to it.   I used a satin base with flattner with my dark green. 
Don Dabbs

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 06:53:08 PM »
30% is about right,

TCHVETTE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 07:17:08 PM »
Thanks to all that responded.  I did find an actual Ditzler Code for the interior low gloss colors for Black.  It is 9266 for low gloss and 9317 for Zero Gloss (Flat)  This code when entered at your local auto paint dealer will bring up the formula that will contain the correct amount of flattener for each code.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 11:51:30 PM »
Suede is a flattening agent that causes the finish to wrinkle slightly, somewhat similar to the finish on cheap toolboxes. The Feds required a non-glare surface for the dash top.

Flat or semi-gloss on the top of the dash is not correct.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Gambitt

• View Profile
    • My car
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 01:56:56 AM »
So does someone make a finish that actuall duplicates the factory suede look?  I will need to paint my dash soon and would like to have an original type look.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 02:18:01 AM »
Do not know. I used to get rattle-cans of it mixed locally but that was in the lacquer days.

Ask these guys: www.towerpaint.com

You can get close by initially getting just enough paint on the dash top to cover. Let it dry then lightly dust it from about 18" with the same paint.
Learning more and more about less and less...

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 02:37:41 AM »
I asked this ? over at Yenko.net awhile back, here is the link. I have not tried to hard to find any. I think the old lacquer additive may not be aviallable ??
                      Mike

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB10&Number=255750&Searchpage=1&Main=255750&Words=+m22mike&topic=&Search=true#Post255750
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 02:50:07 AM »
I can still get the original lacquer suede paint from a local vendor in Baltimore.  It's expensive, about $75 for a pint.......or more depending on the color.

Jerry

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 03:24:05 AM »
You can get close by initially getting just enough paint on the dash top to cover. Let it dry then lightly dust it from about 18" with the same paint.

That is what I did. Worked pretty good.
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

Gambitt

• View Profile
    • My car
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 08:34:49 PM »
Can one of you post a pic of what the finished product is supposed to look like?

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 01:48:12 PM »
Thanks to all that responded.  I did find an actual Ditzler Code for the interior low gloss colors for Black.  It is 9266 for low gloss and 9317 for Zero Gloss (Flat)  This code when entered at your local auto paint dealer will bring up the formula that will contain the correct amount of flattener for each code.

All of those codes are for lacquer...which is largerly unavailable (I suppose Jerry's situation would be the exception)...so they need to be able to convert to modern paints, which most if it won't and most counter guys won't take the time to figure out .  Locally none of my PPG dealers care to try.  I've got one Dupont dealer who was willing but only in Centari which is now a dead product too.   I went through this a few years back  to do a bright blue interior on my '67 Firebird convertible and about a year ago to do the black interior on my '67 Camaro convertible. 

You'd think it would be a slam dunk to take the original lacquer formula and generate a modern equivilant

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 05:37:44 PM »
Check out http://www.metropartsmarket.com/catalog/originalautopaintandvinyldye-c1s2.html for interior lacquer paint.  I bought some from them, but haven't sprayed my dash yet.

You'd think it would be a slam dunk to take the original lacquer formula and generate a modern equivilant
You would think.  Now, try matching an exterior color like ash gold - what a pain.  I finally had to send a sample to the BASF color labs to have my exterior paint matched.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

Gambitt

• View Profile
    • My car
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 01:07:33 AM »
I would much prefer the modern equivalent over lacquer myself...I would think it would hold up to UV rays better.  Nobody got a pic of an original dash?

anything