Author Topic: Front sway bar and springs  (Read 4064 times)

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Front sway bar and springs
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 03:40:33 AM »
Sway bars on cars I restore were natural steel. Don't want to maintain it? Simple. Go in your paint booth and mix a that will match, I do it everyday. Gotta love a person who will dump 400k into a car only worth 100K at best.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 03:45:10 AM »
Sway bars on cars I restore were natural steel. Don't want to maintain it? Simple. Go in your paint booth and mix some that will match. Gotta love a person who will dump 400k into a car only worth 100K at best.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 06:26:42 AM »
I've yet to see a Legends Manual so not for me to shade it. But if everyone is supposed to dissect pertinent info out of pics that normally would show what or how to achieve successful restoration procedures, I can understand the confusion.

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 02:21:52 PM »
My opinion is that the manual is very good and I have learned some things I didn’t know.
I’m glad I purchased it.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2023, 04:05:37 PM »
Springs were heat treated, sent to the plant and installed. There was no coating on them.  It's a hard steel and doesn't rust like softer steels.
They may have been dipped in an oil as part of the heat treat - exceeding my knowledge here. :)
Kurt S
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2023, 04:37:32 PM »
Oil quench after heat treating.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2023, 10:53:46 PM »
Depends on the steel if they need to use an oil quench. Without knowing the steel.....
Kurt S
CRG

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2023, 11:20:08 PM »
Thank for the knowledge, thanks Jim for pointing out the end links, I will now change to correct ones.

my goal is to restore this car to look like a brand new factory unrestored show room new car. (Not over restored). Original dated sheet metal everywhere, ALL nuts and bolts factory correct originals, all components assembly line correct and dated as build date on trim tag, factory painted as the factory would have, only exception being base coat clear coat paint.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2023, 06:38:35 AM »
68Z (LOS) Pre restoration
Sway Bar finish
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2023, 12:38:05 PM »
Depends on the steel if they need to use an oil quench. Without knowing the steel.....

Are the sway bars not carbon steel?  If they are then they were oil quenched.  If an alloy then oil is not required to quench.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2023, 01:16:21 PM »
I have seen painted coil springs.

Survivor '68 Chevelle.

Learning more and more about less and less...

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2023, 12:31:01 AM »
All steels are an alloy and carbon steel isn't very specific. You can quench is all kinds of mediums which cause different heat transfer rates. Water quench is commonly used for lots of steel grades. Oil has a slower cooling rate.
I'll nudge Rich and he can expound on the topic at length. :)
Kurt S
CRG

Rich

• CRG Coordinator
  • 68 L30/M20 RS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2023, 12:58:27 AM »
My once per decade login/post.   ;D  What Kurt said is correct, in that there are all sorts of heat treats and all sorts of alloys, even just within the generic class of carbon steels.  Without knowing the details of the metallurgy (and I'm not privy to the alloys being used for roll bars at that time, or any time for that matter) or the specific design objective, the part could be air quenched, water quenched, oil quenched, (some other medium), or no heat treat at all (though that is less likely than some type of quench).  Rich
68 L30/M20 RS

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2023, 03:58:18 AM »
All steels are an alloy and carbon steel isn't very specific. You can quench is all kinds of mediums which cause different heat transfer rates. Water quench is commonly used for lots of steel grades. Oil has a slower cooling rate.
I'll nudge Rich and he can expound on the topic at length. :)

Thanks for the replies,
I’m aware of quenching processes.  The premise of my original statement was Kurt mentioning oil after heat treat.  Hence me saying oil quench.  Fair point on all steels are alloy.  My point was if using an alloy like chromoly or A-2 or even D-2 then it would be oil quench.

Here is an interesting read along with videos on how Hellwig makes their sway bars..  btw they are oil quenched.

Hellwig Process

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2023, 01:54:50 PM »
And yes I’m aware that D2 & A2 are tool steels.  “I’ve been doing this for 10 years..”. Sorry I couldn’t resist..   ;D