Author Topic: Highly option 6 cylinder car  (Read 12289 times)

maroman

• View Profile
Re: Highly option 6 cylinder car
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2022, 01:55:38 PM »
Not trying to bust your balls but you are a lot braver then I am.  10 or 20 years ago that may have been an interesting project. Good luck.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2022, 04:25:23 PM »
I absolutely agree on major upside cost to bring her back. I would never do to profit anyway…..unfortunately for me I’m a purist which ends up costing me boatloads of $.
I’m also one that has to have the original drivetrain on any car I restore and there doesn’t seem to be as many unrestored cars left to fuel my hobby needs with good bodies. I also like rare optioned 1st gen Camaros. I have accumulated a ridiculous stash of top notch nos parts that I’ll just end up giving away if I don’t put them on something.
Although in many ways I feel these parts should go on a more valuable car. I’m sure if I sold the parts alone I would get at least 3 times the value of this car completed to a concourse level with these parts installed on it.

The price on this car is steep in my opinion for what is left after removal of the rust. I haven’t pulled trigger yet
Please anyone feel free to share there opinions I wouldn’t be offended.at all…I am so on the fence.
Paul

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2022, 11:29:19 PM »
If the price is more than the parts are worth I would have to pass. If you media blast the car it may be nothing leave of it.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2022, 01:19:28 AM »
Rebody or junk it.  Shame ------- super neat car - It's just waaaayyyyy too far gone IMO.
This the kind of car that you do for the love of it.  Nothing else.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2022, 04:39:03 AM »
I’m all in 100%! Do it! Hell, I’m proudly biased because my 68 still has a 6. At any car show, cruise, or cars and coffee, people now stop, scratch their head, and ask questions/make conversation. Capri Cream is a nice color.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2022, 07:10:28 AM »
That's a tough decision. If you have the time and money, go for it. Otherwise, if the cost is an issue it's probably best to walk away.
That would be a great looking car when/if completed!

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2022, 01:43:28 PM »
More pictures

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2022, 04:03:13 PM »
Make a reasonable offer and wait. They won't have a ton of interested buyers....

Car is rare due to the engine. All those options and didn't even pay the extra $25 for the bigger motor.
Kurt S
CRG

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2022, 05:00:13 PM »
Also odd is that all trim tag options are present on car with June trim tag, (tags never removed from car)matching engine assembly date…however going by CRG data on vins should be a early May car.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2022, 05:02:17 PM »
Some people didn't like V8 engines. Especially in the 50's and 60's when they were fairly new. My grandfather bought nothing but American Motors cars and NEVER got one with a V8. Every one of them were 6 bangers because he liked them. He grew up with them and never saw a need for two additional pistons! Back then he said a lot of his friends didn't trust V8 engines!

Ed

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2022, 06:16:37 AM »
Some people didn't like V8 engines. Especially in the 50's and 60's when they were fairly new. My grandfather bought nothing but American Motors cars and NEVER got one with a V8. Every one of them were 6 bangers because he liked them. He grew up with them and never saw a need for two additional pistons! Back then he said a lot of his friends didn't trust V8 engines!

Ed

LOL, relatable story! Not everyone or dealer was interested in performance cars or engines in those days. To me, the odd thing is the the 4spd. I'd have thought a three on the tree would have been the norm. That's what makes a car like this so cool.

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2022, 03:10:03 PM »
The chrome valve cover has Chevrolet script….assuming this was dealer added? All after market ones I have seen do not have script.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2022, 03:47:47 PM »
The chrome valve cover has Chevrolet script….assuming this was dealer added? All after market ones I have seen do not have script.

Dealer or over the counter. The 1964 Chevelle and Nova with the high performance 230 6 cylinder engine came with a chrome valve cover (P/N 3852894), so it was available. It could be used on either with or without closed ventilation.

Ed

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2023, 05:18:59 AM »
I’d be willing to bet the dealer ordered the car to “Showcase” the options….saved some $ on the 6 instead of the 8.

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2023, 02:22:51 PM »
Doctor ordered car for sons graduation.