Author Topic: Survivor '69 Coupe with a 6-cylinder and a 3-speed manual  (Read 34344 times)

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: Survivor '69 Coupe with a 6-cylinder and a 3-speed manual
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2021, 07:09:06 AM »
Congrats! I'm finally posting.
This car had 2 obvious body problems on the assembly line...a poorly fitting left door, and a fairly large blob of lead on the passenger side roof that was painted over by Fisher Body...those are the reasons I think this car spanned 2 shifts.
I'm not convinced either are original issues, esp since the car was repainted. Nor that it has anything to do with the shifts.

You are misreading the tire dates: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=12259.0

The same steering box was used on most cars: http://www.camaros.org/suspen.shtml#steer

I would never run a 50+ nylon timing gear. :)
Kurt S
CRG

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2021, 08:52:28 PM »
I would never run even a new nylon timing gear!
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

68SixBangerRS

• Camaro Project from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2021, 03:44:38 PM »
Greetings to all, and many thanks for all of the info! Kurt, nice to hear from you and get some misconceptions cleared up. I try to figure things out using the info that's already been gathered on here, but many times I end up making an educated guess about whatever comes up. I have also been relying on Charlotte and Lyle for the car's history.

My main issue with the timing gears is that I don't want to have to pull the engine out and replace the crankshaft gear...a real pain-in-the-a**, and I worried about trying to mesh a new cam gear with the existing metal crank gear. I prefer to use original GM parts, but those are few and far between 50-plus years later. My next best option was to get a new fiber gear and hope it meshed properly with the existing crank gear, but came up empty at all of the auto parts stores. A search on Ebay a month ago also proved fruitless, but I don't think I was using the correct search parameters to locate the correct gear. I ordered a new gear using the Ebay link provided by GMAD (thanks Mark...much appreciated!) and will check it for proper fit/meshing when it arrives in a couple of days. I looked at the original gear under high magnification and found no visible wear of any kind, but I know that gear design was problematic for obvious reasons. The fact that the original low-mile cam is bad due to lack of oiling while trying to start the engine after its 39 year nap makes me think that the fiber gear is possibly also compromised...it needs to be replaced.

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2021, 02:22:48 AM »
Happy holidays to all on here.  The new fiber camshaft gear arrived a couple of days ago and was an identical match to the original one.  The cam is 32 inches long and the camshaft gear is 6 inches in diameter, necessitating removing the radiator, grill, front bumper and front valance panel, followed by removing the bolt holding the passenger side of the engine to the frame mount enabling that side of the engine to be rotated to the point where the old cam to be removed and the new one installed.  The new cam was thoroughly lubed with red Permatex assembly lube which enabled it to be easily installed.  The timing cover was reinstalled with new Felpro cork and neoprene gaskets.  The front end parts were reinstalled and Charlotte's pretty face returned.  I soaked the new Sealed Power lifters in motor oil for several hours to work any small air bubbles out.  The pushrods and rockers are now installed and have the correct preliminary adjustment (they will be readjusted after the engine has been run a few minutes).  I replaces the original sidecovers which had little remaining paint with a another set of covers from a '69 Nova engine I had a couple of years ago...they are a little different shade of orange, but will brighten up the engine considerably for future car shows.  The distributor already has new Delco points and is ready to go.  New AC R46N plugs are properly gapped and installed.

The engine is now ready for start-up and camshaft break-in.  I'll keep you posted.

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2021, 02:25:34 AM »
A couple more pics...

Delco115

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2021, 12:43:23 PM »
Merry Christmas, "sixbanger" !!!! And thanks for the update on the cam gear replacement. Hope your New Year is spectacular.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2021, 05:32:17 AM »
I admire that you are so hands on with your cars and share your experiences!

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2021, 02:39:43 PM »
Hi Alex,
Do you have the tool to line up timing cover on crank shaft so you don’t get oil leaking around seal?
I found if you don’t use the tool it’s hard to get a good seal.

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2021, 04:44:57 PM »
Delco 115 and MO...thanks...I enjoy working on old cars and enjoy sharing my info. Paul, it's great to hear from you. I didn't use the tool you mentioned and didn't even know such a tool existed. I usually don't have any leak problems with repairs as I try to be thorough and I seldom do anything quickly.

I started Charlotte last night and ran her for 20 mins at around 1,500-2,000 rpm (no tach, so I had to SWAG it..."Silly Wild-Ass Guess"   :P).  Today will be the final rocker arm adjustment and the start of another small repair project on the very sticky left rear window (extremely hard to roll up and down, necessitating removing the back seat and figuring the problem out).  I'll post some pics for you all.

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2021, 07:29:17 PM »
Yesterday was "back seat removal day"...time to figure out the back window issue.  The seat's "push hard and pull up" design leaves a lot to be desired, but it finally came out.  I was met with a lot of red primer covering virtually every square inch of surface...Charlotte's husband Lyle's attempt at banishing future rust, no doubt.  The photos pretty much speak for themselves.  Note the worn but original look of everything.  The seat belt tags are all dated around the late Apr - early May '69 timeframe (body build date "05E"). Note also that the beautiful trunk board looks ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like the repop garbage versions sold now as "correct" (go figure!).  The rear window shelf also appears to be NOTHING like its repop version, and it also appears to have been painted with actual Frost Green body paint.  The underside of it looks like it had a layer of foam sound deadener affixed that has now come completely off (vestiges of it are still visible).  The seat cushions look to be extremely complex with numerous hog rings holding everything together.  Note the loose gray formed sound deadening pad lying loosely inside the bottom cushion (see close-up pic).  The date on the left rear panel is "4-18-69", manufactured by Seaman Industries (still listed on the Internet as a manufacturer of auto parts in Roseville, MI).  The right panel has only a very tiny stamp with the part number and a date code.  The carpet has faded quite a bit...it was originally a nearly perfect shade of light green, but has now faded to a medium olive (a dirty medium olive, I might add).  Both back windows need some serious lubrication and cleaning, which they will receive. I found a couple of matchbooks for 1st Federal savings of Lincoln Nebraska and the University of Nebraska Student Union, plus a ball-point pen for the Kut N' Kurl Hair Salon in Portsmouth, Nebraska. 

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2021, 07:37:33 PM »
Upper seat cushion

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2021, 08:27:38 PM »
Trunk board

68SixBangerRS

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2021, 08:31:01 PM »
Rear side panels

Her68His69

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2022, 12:59:00 PM »
Happy New Year, Love your posts. Keep them comin!!

anything