Author Topic: Gas tank and heater box markings  (Read 8099 times)

Dave69x33

• View Profile
Re: Gas tank and heater box markings
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 12:06:26 AM »
R68GTO, the marking I saw was written on the inside surface of the lower valance panel, below the bumper. So when the hood was open, you could see the mark looking straight down thru the space between the radiator and the rear side of the front grill.  The markings that dannystarr posted look like they are on the inside surface of the upper header panel, but he can confirm.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2022, 02:01:40 AM »
  Top inside of lower valance on both. So yes, pop the hood and look down.

And they DO NOT line up with body sequence numbers. I have several NONE line up.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2022, 01:09:09 PM »
Those numbers do not correlate with the body number.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2022, 12:03:11 AM »
It’s interesting that “22” is marked on the spare tire.  I wonder if that same “22” sequence number is marked on the fuel tank and on the heater core box, similar to the “63” marked on my parts.
Definitely not. You should read JohnZ's assembly article - tires were Chevy side. There was no axle or subframe when the car was on the Fisher side - no place to attach the wheels.
Yes, there was a lot of coordination between Fisher and Chevrolet - but Jimmy's point was that markings weren't coordinated.
Kurt S
CRG

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 02:32:22 AM »
Kurt,
Two points and questions:

1.) Sequence No. on spare: I was referring only to the spare tire. I just reread JohnZ’s assembly process report to confirm when the spare tire was placed in the trunk. It reads like the spare and jack components were placed in the trunk by Fisher Body. Then on the Chevrolet side of the operation (Norwood Plant), after the chassis-to-body marriage, it’s states under “Other Operations,” that the jack and spare tire were secured, and the wheel covers and floor mats were placed in the trunk. That tells me that it’s very possible that the sequence number Fisher Body marked on the heater box, and fuel tank may have also been marked on the spare tire like the “22” mark shown in dannystarr’s picture above.  I would like to try and confirm what components the sequence number was “typically” marked on by Fisher body. What I find odd is why would “63” be marked on my fuel tank. The fuel tank was standard on all ‘69 Camaros so why would a sequence number be necessary? I understand why a sequence number would be assigned to the spare tire, and heater box (BB vs. SB car, and AC).

2.) Based on the sequence markings that dannystarr shared on two different survivor Camaros, there was a coordinated sequence number marked on the firewall by Fisher Body, and by Chevrolet on the front end sheet metal subassembly b4 it was attached to the body.  This makes since to help make sure that the correct front end sheet metal would be mated to the body due to the fender differences between an RS bs. Non-RS.  Why else would the same 3-digit number be marked on both portions of the car by both plants?

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2022, 04:37:42 PM »
Here is another one I took. However, this number is not on the firewall, just the front valance. Danny

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2022, 10:54:44 PM »
It reads like the spare and jack components were placed in the trunk by Fisher Body.
Incorrect. It clearly states the wheels are painted on the Chevrolet side. And tells when the spare was installed. Neither on the Fisher side.
The fuel tank was standard on all ‘69 Camaros so why would a sequence number be necessary?
Fuel senders.
Kurt S
CRG

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2022, 04:56:56 PM »
Kurt, reread the report and it makes sense that the spare was delivered with the set of tires for each car.  Is the “22” mark in dannystarr’s picture a sequence number defined on the Chevrolet side?

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2022, 10:01:31 PM »
Yes. I don't know if all 5 wheels would have been marked or not.
Kurt S
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2022, 12:32:42 AM »
On a chevelle I preserved only 2 of the 5 were marked and it was inside the hoop where the tire was mounted.  My 68 L78 has the marking on the backside of the wheel and corresponding numbers on the spare tire itself.

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2022, 05:26:12 PM »
What was used as the spare was put into rotation around first two years of the car. By 70-71 all five wheels were off and in the rafters. In 76 one was grabbed for a custom wheel cover and thrown in the trunk for a show. In 89 I had radials mounted (keeping the bias plies) on four wheels. The one posted ended up on the driver's rear,,,for 32 years. In my mind's eye, all wheels were numbered, this one standing out. Chick questioned/corrected me. When I took a look at the wheel (covered and in storage since 76,,no number) With the new tires mounted,,well #10 made it's way back to rear driver's. What was used as the "spare" left un-restored, original tire mounted.

Also is a pic of my tank,#10. Heater box, well just may have got sick of shooting pics for a bit, cannot find one. I'm at the point of having shot over a thousand at this time (document,document) Probably buried in a file.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2022, 05:29:21 PM »
Poor pic of the tank marking,,see what I can do...

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2022, 05:35:29 PM »
xxx

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2022, 08:42:46 PM »
janobuye, thanks for the pictures! Your pictures from an unrestored car help to confirm how the Fisher Body vs. Chevrolet side of the Norwood assembly operations, assigned sequence numbers on components. You have a “10” on your rim, which was installed on the Chevrolet side, and a “10” on your fuel tank. Do you happen to have a “10” marked anywhere on your firewall?  I need to carefully read the assembly process report again to determine when/who installed the fuel tank, Fisher Body or Chevrolet. I had “63” marked on my fuel tank and heater core box, so I assumed Fisher Body installed both.

dannystarr had a common sequence number marked on his fire wall (thus by Fisher Body) and on the lower valance panel of the front sheet metal subassembly, which would have been marked by Chevrolet. That tells us Fisher Body and Chevrolet shared sequence number information. This shared info may have been driven by the body broadcast sheet taped to the body when it passed thru the wall to Chevrolet. We know the sequence number was not related to the Fisher Body number embossed on the body tag.

I believe I read or heard that bodies released from the body bank were marked 001 thru XXX each day. It was a simple number assembly line workers could quickly see and related which component parts to pull for that body. However, this is only an educated guess on my part. I have worked my entire career as a manufacturing engineer, and for the past 20+ years in automotive powertrain operations. Today pallets with smart RFID read/write tags can receive info (sequence numbers, etc.), and readers can release palleted subassemblies to the right place at the right time along the assembly line. 30-50 years ago, long before smart RFID, bar codes, etc., simple sequence numbers and the broadcast sheets attached the Fisher Body and Chevrolet car assembly where key to direct the assembly line work. The assembly line process report notes at the end of the Chevrolet assembly line, operators de-papered the broadcast sheets from the car and tossed them.

Wish my Camaro happened to be one of the cars that those folks stuffed all those broadcast sheets under my seat! LOL!

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2022, 10:09:42 PM »
Not sure if this is OVER simplification (Generalization?) but, "IF" it is detailed in the AIM (Chevrolet Assembly Instruction Manual) then it was 'done' work accomplished i.e. assembled on the Chevy (LOS/NOR) side,,,,,,,
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

anything