Author Topic: Gas tank and heater box markings  (Read 8111 times)

ReaperEd

• View Profile
Gas tank and heater box markings
« on: July 17, 2021, 02:01:58 AM »
68 Z - 6B

Tank had been painted black somewhere back in time so I had a shop remove the paint. I discovered these numbers while cleaning it.
Included the gas tank date stamp as well.

Also on the heater box was this number.
Enjoy

1968 Z/28 NOR 06B Original Drive Train
1973 RS Z/28 NOR 01B Supercharged Day 2
2013 ZL1 Lingenfelter
2015 Z/28

Dave69x33

• View Profile
Re: Gas tank and heater box markings - UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 06:20:04 PM »
I would like to revisit this topic.  The heater core box and the gas tank in my '69 05A (1st week of May) Norwood built Camaro; both had grease pencil marks "63" written on the top side as shown.  Does anyone know how these markings were used during the assembly process at the Fisher Body side of the Norwood operations? 

ReaperEd,  That is the date code stamping when your gas tank was manufactured.  My tank is dated "37 69." There is a related topic on CRG where many owners found and listed their gas tank date code vs. the build date of their Camaros. 

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: Gas tank and heater box markings
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 09:20:29 PM »
Probably sequence number during assembly?
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 10:30:44 PM »
Yup, sequence number on the Fisher side.
Kurt S
CRG

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 02:01:42 AM »
Kurt,  Did Fisher Body apply this sequence number on the firewall with a paint pin or grease pin marker, and to the inside of the rim on the spare tire?

Also, was this sequence number communicated to the Chevrolet Assembly operations, and written on the inside surface of the lower front valance panel by Chevrolet, to help mate the front sheet metal assembly for with the body?

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 01:56:07 PM »
Fisher and Chevrolet were totally independent of each other - 2 separate companies. No markings, etc. done on the Fisher side would relate to anything on the Chevrolet side. Chevrolet workers would not care or even know what Fisher markings meant.
Jimmy V.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 03:32:21 AM »
jvd69z, There had to be some level of coordination between Fisher Body and Chevrolet final assembly. The bodies from the firewall back were near complete before they “went thru the wall” to Chevrolet assembly.

On example of coordination was the batches of the final color paint that were slit between the two plants to maintain color match when the entire front sheet metal dog house (painted on the Chevrolet side), was attached to the body and powertrain that was painted by the the Fisher Body side. 

Using my LeMans Blue X33 (RS) Z28 with factory installed (and date coded) ZL2 hood, we have to assume that the two plants sequenced and coordinated the two portions of this LeMans blue Camaro to come together at the appropriate time. The body firewall was punched for the 4-speed speedometer hole, the holes for the RS hose grommet and ZL2 hood wiring grommet, etc. If I recall correctly from the report covering the Norwood assembly process, there was a broadcast sheet attached to the Fisher Body, and a 2nd broadcast sheet that applied to the car by Chevrolet final assembly.

Many years ago at a Camaro Nationals, I saw a very well restored ‘69 SS with a sequence number written on the firewall (by Fisher Body), and the same sequence number applied to the spare tire rim, and also on the inside lower front valance panel. That lead me to my most recent question, to get feedback and understand to what extent the sequence number was applied to Norwood build Camaros.  How did they match up my LeMans blue prepares RS front fenders with my LeMans blue prepared body?

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 11:57:44 AM »
Sorry for the typo…split not slit the paint batches. Guess I should not type this stuff on my smart phone  late at night…lol.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 12:39:31 PM »
Here are SOME examples on my cars... Danny

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 12:53:41 PM »
more

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 01:05:06 PM »
couple more...

67CruiseMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 01:48:45 PM »
These are off of my 09C Coupe. Builder got crayon happy. I do not know what the 320 means on the passenger side of the firewall.
67 SS/RS with original Cruise Control
67 Tuxedo Black Convertible.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 05:14:38 PM »
Thanks dannystarr, your pics are exactly what I wanted to see. This resemble what I have seen on another restored Camaro. I like the fact your pics are take on unrestored cars to help drive home my point. It’s interesting that “22” is marked on the spare tire.  I wounder if that same “22” sequence number is marked on the fuel tank and on the heater core box, similar to the “63” marked on my parts. 

Was the spare tire and jack assembly installed by Fisher Body or were they installed in the car toward the end of the line, in a button up station on the Chevrolet final assembly side of the operations? If the spare was installed by Fisher Body, it makes sense that the spare and a few other components would all have the same sequence number marked on the them. This gave the assembly line workers a “status at a glance” view of the parts to pull targeted for a specific Camaro, i.e. 15” wheels vs. 14” wheels, etc.

Fun research stuff!

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 07:35:45 PM »
dannystarr, Curious if the 562 and 452 markings on your cars relate to the body sequence number (last 3 digits) imprinted on the body trim plate?  If I am not mistaken, I don’t believe they do but just checking?  Thanks!

R68GTO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 11:57:12 PM »
When you guys refer to the number written on the "top of he front valance", for my clarity are you referring to the radiator side of the lower valance under the front bumper?
1969 427 COPO Camaro Lemans Blue/Black, M22 4 speed, 15,500 original miles